Ribble 2020

budge

Reaction score
Well done on your fish Scagit, looks a belter

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

wilbert

Reaction score
Got my 2020 season up and running yesterday with a fairly fresh fish of about 10lb. It tok a home tied silver stoat and what a take it was too followed by a good short scrap, I do play fish hard though especially when they are going back. I fished from 8am until 5pm ish and the afternoon was dead with only a couple of trout for my efforts. Popped out for 4 hrs this morning and apart from seeing a good fish show 3 times in quick sucession there was no action, even the trout weren't nipping at anything.
What I have noticed in the 3 days fishing I've had on the Ribble this year is that the gravel is very very clean, there are loads of minnows and fry in the margins and there seem to be more kingfishers about. Maybe these big floods aren't as bad for the river as we think???

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Got my 2020 season up and running yesterday with a fairly fresh fish of about 10lb. It tok a home tied silver stoat and what a take it was too followed by a good short scrap, I do play fish hard though especially when they are going back. I fished from 8am until 5pm ish and the afternoon was dead with only a couple of trout for my efforts. Popped out for 4 hrs this morning and apart from seeing a good fish show 3 times in quick sucession there was no action, even the trout weren't nipping at anything.
What I have noticed in the 3 days fishing I've had on the Ribble this year is that the gravel is very very clean, there are loads of minnows and fry in the margins and there seem to be more kingfishers about. Maybe these big floods aren't as bad for the river as we think???
I'm 100% with you there Dave, storm Frank was thought to have been devastating for salmonids yet this years MSW run so far seems to be good. The proof will be in July onwards counter figures I.e post high water. Whilst May and June's are not sparkling there was no real water and reports from lower river reported good numbers. Additionally as you say I'm sure big floods clean gravel too. Ps will done again on your Salar!

budge

Reaction score
Congrats on the fish Dave

long Preston

Reaction score
been out this evening-river up again but falling-colour not brilliant-never saw a fin-2 other rods out who blanked as well

budge

Reaction score
been out this evening-river up again but falling-colour not brilliant-never saw a fin-2 other rods out who blanked as well
Was going to give lower river a go until I stopped off at motorway Bridge for a look. Headed upstream instead where colour was good. Calder water again by the look of it. I still blanked though

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Yes, big river today and possibly more rain tonight/tomorrow morning. Looks a bit drier then so the weekend could be ideal. I would expect salmon and seatrout to be caught. Fish should be spread throughout the system by now.

scagit

Reaction score
Should be okay on the middle and upper river at the weekend. Just seen a picture of a nice fresh Salmon caught yesterday from I think around the Gisburn area yesterday. Has said by Wilbert the river bottom is lovely and clean and the margins are black in places with pin fry and minnows.

Rennie

Reaction score
Well done Dave, I heard through the on bank grape vine you'd got it right !, our paths didn't quite cross Tues. but keep at 'em!, lets hope we're not seeing the only fish of the year running right now and there's more to come!
ATB, P.

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
I was really pleased to see that the Winkley webcam was back in operation, but when I looked at it just now the bottom half of the image was blanked out. I don't know if this is just a temporary blip, but I have a sinking feeling that it won't be ...

budge

Reaction score
I was really pleased to see that the Winkley webcam was back in operation, but when I looked at it just now the bottom half of the image was blanked out. I don't know if this is just a temporary blip, but I have a sinking feeling that it won't be ...
Been like that a couple of days

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Yes we are on with it. Very frustrating is this camera at present, Our IT consultant is going down on Tuesday to look at it, he thinks its possibly the power supply which he is going to change.

playhappy

Reaction score
Really enjoyed fishing this week - mainly in the evenings. Had a nice sesssion on the Hodder on monday evening fishing 8 - 10. Managed 3 sea trout between 1 - 2lb and lost another larger fish. Tuesday evening i got lucky and landed a nice salmon on the fly. Wednesday evening i helped a mate land a nice fish. So great to see a few fish getting caught and be able to have a decent chance. Heres a photo of my fish on Tuesday.
july salmon 2020.jpg

SP8

Reaction score
Really enjoyed fishing this week - mainly in the evenings. Had a nice sesssion on the Hodder on monday evening fishing 8 - 10. Managed 3 sea trout between 1 - 2lb and lost another larger fish. Tuesday evening i got lucky and landed a nice salmon on the fly. Wednesday evening i helped a mate land a nice fish. So great to see a few fish getting caught and be able to have a decent chance. Heres a photo of my fish on Tuesday.
View attachment 47141
Well done Boo, I said somebody would get one Tuesday evening. Glad it was you.

SP8

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
View attachment 47141
Cant wait until our next committee meeting, "Who's got the Loppers" ?????

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
Yes we are on with it. Very frustrating is this camera at present, Our IT consultant is going down on Tuesday to look at it, he thinks its possibly the power supply which he is going to change.
He seems to have mended it too well - we're now getting TWO images! Still, as they both look pretty good I think it's time for a trip out this evening.

sutty

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this, but is this just a brown trout, or something else that maybe has been in the river a while? Seemed bigger than what we normally get on our stretch, and it put up a really good fight.

8759ffa7-1b95-4dc6-a3e6-1d2eb1634c18.jpg

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Looks like a Brownie to me nice fish
I was on big ribble for 3 hours till about 8 tonight water is in perfect condition gin clear and running about 10 inch unfortunately I did not see a fin or any migrator fish had a 3lb chub on the fly that got my heart going for a couple of seconds but alas no silver tourist
Tight lines Natt