Ribble 2020

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I thought it was time to open up the new thread for 2020.
Best wishes for the season ahead.
There's been a bit of activity in the past week, so I thought it's time to kick off again.
Tight lines to all Ribble rods:thumb:

budge

Reaction score
Someone already started a 2020 thread a couple of days ago. Or will we need two threads to fit all the reports and photos of gleaming springers ? I do hope so !

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Someone already started a 2020 thread a couple of days ago. Or will we need two threads to fit all the reports and photos of gleaming springers ? I do hope so !

I never noticed:doh:
The only Ribble post I've seen have been on 2019 & Boo stating he couldn't start the thread, or well...

budge

Reaction score
He must have managed it eventually I think we're all chomping at the bit now.

salmosalar74

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is going to dare to venture out this weekend for the start of the season; tight lines to anyone brave enough.

budge

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is going to dare to venture out this weekend for the start of the season; tight lines to anyone brave enough.
Me ! Weather permitting. I've a couple of lines I want to try so will probably go for a couple of hours.

liphook

Reaction score
Can we not combine the 2020 Ribble thread's into one? Seems daft to have two running in parallel!

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
Can we not combine the 2020 Ribble thread's into one? Seems daft to have two running in parallel!
Wouldn't be a bad idea before there's many more posts. Maybe admin could help ?

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
1st Ribble Jerry was caught 14th Feb last year 17lb and sea sea liced then the next came off 25th Feb where angler hooked 3 over a couple of days so it's always worth a Feb cast on lower river. Last years fish came from Ribby area if I remember rightly. Chances of catching are slim but the even the slimest chance of a tide fresh Feb/Match English Jerry in teens of pounds makes the effort worthwhile!!

Last edited:

salmosalar74

Reaction score
Me ! Weather permitting. I've a couple of lines I want to try so will probably go for a couple of hours.

Awesome that makes at least two of us out in the freezing cold then tight lines.

salmosalar74

Reaction score
1st Ribble Jerry was caught 14th Feb last year 17lb and sea sea liced then the next came off 25th Feb where angler hooked 3 over a couple of days so it's always worth a Feb cast on lower river. Last years fish came from Ribby area if I remember rightly. Chances of catching are slim but the even the slimest chance of a tide fresh Feb/Match English Jerry in teens of pounds makes the effort worthwhile!!
That's good to hear, not going to catch any Jerry's watching the rugby; I'd take a slim chance over no chance any day.

Last edited:

salmosalar74

Reaction score
I see that LFFA have an offer on joining fees etc, it seems like a good deal and a well run club and it has lots more water than what I pay the same money for per annum but I'm interested to know what the salmon water is like if anyone can tell me, TIA.

budge

Reaction score
Awesome that makes at least two of us out in the freezing cold then tight lines.
Think I may have tempted fate with my "weather permitting" quote big water on its way.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I see that LFFA have an offer on joining fees etc, it seems like a good deal and a well run club and it has lots more water than what I pay the same money for per annum but I'm interested to know what the salmon water is like if anyone can tell me, TIA.
I dont know the water well but they have a couple of good Salmon beats on the Ribble, one at Gisburn does well later in the season or after a wet spring/summer. Their beat at Sailsbury just above Ribchester does ok too spring/summer. They also have beat on Hodder (and trib), Lune and Cumbrian Irt (which I do know well) Certainly worth considering. Then again so is RAA for similar costs but IMO (though iam biased) have more varied water and access to main holding pools fishable in all conditions.

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
I've always fancied trundling a shrimp into Sale Wheel I'm sure fish must stack up there in low water but in all the years I've walked past I've never seen a salmon.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Years since I fished their waters but many fond memories from my teens. Some lovely water on the Ribble at Gisburn, upper and lower Hodder, Lune - although all really need a bit of water in for salmon. Never fished the Irt. Used to enjoy Dean Clough as well, nice secluded reservoirs. Used to be quite a lot of huge grayling on the Hodder, hope they are still there.

budge

Reaction score
They do hold there.
One of our walks there I finished up helping a group of folks who were having a clean up. The usual bottles, cans and discarded barbecues plus a couple of inflatable kayaks that had been dumped. These weren't your £20 supermarket cr#p but £100+ quality boats complete with paddles we dragged them up to the car park and made sure they weren't usable again. Maybe they had paid for themselves with a poached bag of salmon ?

doubletaper

Reaction score
Did a work party last week on our local park Budge and it's very sad to see what people discard on our parks and in the country in general. Beats me why there isn't more enforcement on litter louts & why it isn't taught about environmental issues at school a little more. Anyway enough of my moaning let's hope we get half a decent season on the Ribble and I break my duck this year!

budge

Reaction score
Did a work party last week on our local park Budge and it's very sad to see what people discard on our parks and in the country in general. Beats me why there isn't more enforcement on litter louts & why it isn't taught about environmental issues at school a little more. Anyway enough of my moaning let's hope we get half a decent season on the Ribble and I break my duck this year!
I hope so too mate. Maybe we will get a year without the extremes of weather that we've had the last 2 or 3.
As for rubbish, it seems to be the 20-40 year olds are the worst culprits. My young grandson is pretty clued up on environmental issues learned at school.
There's a bunch of volunteers who clean up the verges on a short stretch of road leading to the motorway near me. It's incredible the ammount of rubbish they collect, every couple of months. There are no houses and very few pedestrians, it is all stuff thrown from cars.
Don't get me started on the little black bags hanging from trees awaiting the sh1t fairies

noeyedeer

Reaction score
As for rubbish, it seems to be the 20-40 year olds are the worst culprits. My young grandson is pretty clued up on environmental issues learned at school.
Topically, whilst chatting about recycling, my son’s just revealed a 50+ yr old he works with in Clitheroe “always” chucks his takeaway packaging out the car window!! What chance have we got eh?

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Topically, whilst chatting about recycling, my son’s just revealed a 50+ yr old he works with in Clitheroe “always” chucks his takeaway packaging out the car window!! What chance have we got eh?
Rest assure NED if I spot him littering my town I will collect the said litter, follow him and when time is right inserting it up his exhaust pipe.... littering is one of my pet hates, it exherts more energy throwing litter out of a car window than placing it on passenger seat and disposing of it at home.....

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
Never understood how someone can cart a shed load of food somewhere, eat the lot and leave the wrappers behind ? They weigh nothing so why not take it home ?

OURTREV

Reaction score
Never understood how someone can cart a shed load of food somewhere, eat the lot and leave the wrappers behind ? They weigh nothing so why not take it home ?

Just happened on the comments about litter on this thread. I should imagine there are lots of people like me who have noticed litter at a particular spot on their travels. There are some services on the M50 at Ross on Wye and the litter droppers drop their Costa cups on the A40/A49 roundabout going south and the Newent turn off the M50 going north. The outlets should be taxed or forced to employ a clean up team. If I can spot these filthy habits the various food and drink outlets can do the same thing and act. Trev.

Walleye

Reaction score
I often find a neat little pile of empty beer cans next to the river always in the same spot on the stretch I fish.
8*330ml is over 2.5kg of beer carried down to the river and probably less than 250g of empty beer cans left on the riverbank. It's a fisherman who does it, I just haven't managed to catch them in the act. I clear them up but it's a real annoyance.

The roadside verges this time of year are miserable. Litter from fast food outlets and garage shops everywhere. You can tell how far away you are from such outlets by the volume of litter on the roadsides. If I drive 15 minutes west I'm in the dales and the volume of litter reduces significantly because it is >5 miles from a garage shop and >10 miles from a fast food outlet.

I often see bags of household waste dumped in lay-bys. Opened up by foxes and cats and the wind does the rest. I saw one yesterday just a few yards from a large empty bin in the lay-by.

Touchlines on park football pitches lined with empty plastic bottles left by the kids and their parents.

I once pipped my horn at the car in front when he opened his window and dropped litter out. We were stationary in traffic in the middle of a town with people all around. He was going to fight me until he changed his mind, walked back to his car, kicked the litter out of his way, got back in and drove off.

I often wonder how it is possible to change this culture and I think the only option is to get really tough on offenders. The vast majority of transactions are card based and the technology exists to be able to trace every bit of litter back to the card that purchased it through the bar code, marking the plastic, RFID etc. Of course there would be ways around it by removing labels, cutting ID from plastic or cans etc but at least it would stop the culture of winding down your car window and tossing it out.
Make garage shops and fast food outlets fund regular litter picking. Again, force them to put ID on all packaging to trace back to card transactions.
I don't care how inconvenient it is. If you don't litter, you have nothing to worry about. Stagger the fines for example £1 for first offence, £2 for 2nd etc.. so accidents are not too costly but persistent littering sees decent fines handed out. Just take the money from the card that made the payment - every transaction you make would effectively approve any subsequent payments for litter so it happens automatically and is low cost to enforce. Make all banks highlight litter charges on bills. Publish an annual list of worst offenders.
All of this is possible now, today. It just lacks the political will to make it happen.

We are trying to cut back on the amount of waste plastic we are forced to buy with food products. It's really difficult. On occasion I've removed plastic packaging and left it on the shelf. Turnips wrapped in plastic - come off it. I think the only reason it's done is to stick a bar code on. My next step is to unwrap everything I can at the self serve tills and leave it in the basket for them to dispose of.