Ribble 2019

budge

Reaction score
Does anyone know the count upto now then of salmon entering the ribble for 2019?
There is no count of all fish entering the Ribble, they are only counted going over Waddow weir which is above the Calder and Hodder. Latest count should be in next month's T&S.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
The fish counts through Waddow in November are.

162 fish up and 24 down Total from 68 fish under 4 lbs and 70 over 4 lbs. These counts give us a total up to the end of November of 784 fish over 4lbs (984 in 2018) Fish under 4lbs up to the end of November 1447 (983 in 2018)

westie4566

Reaction score

162 fish up and 24 down Total from 68 fish under 4 lbs and 70 over 4 lbs. These counts give us a total up to the end of November of 784 fish over 4lbs (984 in 2018) Fish under 4lbs up to the end of November 1447 (983 in 2018)
I had no idea where this was so googled it. The counter is quite far upstream, are there others further down?

budge

Reaction score
I had no idea where this was so googled it. The counter is quite far upstream, are there others further down?
Only the one which is above two main tributaries, the Hodder and Calder. The Calder runs through a lot of industrial towns and has been a main source of pollution over the years, but does get a few salmon running now. The Hodder gets runs of salmon but has always been more of a seatrout river.

wilbert

Reaction score

Shocking figures given such good water conditions. I hope this downward trend is soon reversed.

budge

Reaction score
Shocking figures given such good water conditions. I hope this downward trend is soon reversed.
Very worrying, especially when the rod catch was higher than this not too long ago let's hope it's just down to the big flood in 2015, and returns to better returns next year.

budge

Reaction score
Anyone know who has the fishing rights on the Ribble from Edisford bridge downstream to Mitton Bridge ? Some lovely looking water along that stretch, but I can't find any info on who controls it.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Budge.
This fishing from Edisford bridge on the left hand bank past the picnic area and downstream past the caravan park is controlled by the Ribble Valley Borough Council and then from here downstream to Mitton Bridge, as well as the other bank, is all controlled by the Edisford Estate which is owned privately but Martin James is the river keeper who looks after it. As you say some lovely pools and its one of the stretches I fished as a youngster when it all belonged to the old
Co-op
On another subject, its just one year ago this week that the E.A. removed the small cabin at Locks weir and our RFCA web cameras and promised us every month that a new cabin was on its way. That new plastic cabin, the size of a sentry box, was erected about two months ago, but we are still waiting for the electrics to be installed. L.P any suggestions

budge

Reaction score
Budge.
This fishing from Edisford bridge on the left hand bank past the picnic area and downstream past the caravan park is controlled by the Ribble Valley Borough Council and then from here downstream to Mitton Bridge, as well as the other bank, is all controlled by the Edisford Estate which is owned privately but Martin James is the river keeper who looks after it. As you say some lovely pools and its one of the stretches I fished as a youngster when it all belonged to the old
Co-op
On another subject, its just one year ago this week that the E.A. removed the small cabin at Locks weir and our RFCA web cameras and promised us every month that a new cabin was on its way. That new plastic cabin, the size of a sentry box, was erected about two months ago, but we are still waiting for the electrics to be installed. L.P any suggestions
Thanks Fred. I had never walked further than the bottom of the caravan park before, I didn't even know there was a weir down there.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
2019 Waddow Fish Counts

Morning all

A very Happy New Year to you all.

I have been given the total counts of fish through Waddow for 2019 December’s counts were 11 fish under 4 lbs and 3 fish over 4 lbs

These numbers give us a total for the year of 2410 fish counted up and 183 counted down. We had 1458 fish under 4lbs and 787 over 4 lbs

sutty

Reaction score
Hello Fred

Thanks for the annual figures from the fish counter. Sorry to ask a question that's no doubt answered elsewhere, but I've just tried to find the information and am struggling. How do those figures compare to previous years?

Perhaps it might be a nice way to end this 2019 thread, with a list of counts for say the past ten years, if you have it.

Thanks

Sutty

long Preston

Reaction score
Budge.
Co-op
just keep poking the stick Fred-you could always write to the area manager?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Morning Sutty.
I have these figures, going back to when the E.A. began to break down the numbers between fish under 50cm ( as I refer to them as fish under 4lbs) and those above 50cm.

Going back to 2013 we had 666 over 4 lbs. 2014 the count was 1020. 2015 it was 1283. 2016 it was 1294. 2017 was 1600. 2018 was 991 and we know that 2019 the count was 787.

sutty

Reaction score
Thanks very much for that. Quite a range of values there, and not really a trend that I can see. I'm sure if we could see longer there would be an obvious decline, but on that limited selection, there seems little to spot, other than to note that the last two years were low, yet both still higher than 2013.

View attachment 41580

budge

Reaction score
Thanks very much for that. Quite a range of values there, and not really a trend that I can see. I'm sure if we could see longer there would be an obvious decline, but on that limited selection, there seems little to spot, other than to note that the last two years were low, yet both still higher than 2013.

View attachment 41580
The thing I can't get my head around is how do the numbers through the counter compare to the annual rod catch ? I don't know the total for the year but I would think it is somewhere well into the hundreds, if our club is anything to go by. Does this mean that anglers catch virtually every fish that run the Ribble ? I thought the EA calculations for river classification were based on the rod catch being 10% of the total run of fish ?
Can anyone explain things ? Do a few thousand fish run the Hodder and Calder? Do a few thousand spawn below Waddow weir ? Is the counter totally inaccurate ? Can the fish bypass the counter in high water ? Are there multiple recaptures throughout the season ? Are the true figures kept quiet to keep poachers at bay ?
I'm not trying to dispute any figures or anything, just a bit puzzled ? If all the figures are correct then things are not good

budge

Reaction score
No one got any answers ?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
No one got any answers ?

Re Your questions. From what I know I can answer a few. The counters figures are as accurate as possible without the counter being re calibrated, and this isn't going to happen. Re the figures. The low counts in 2013 was, if I remember correctly, due to a malfunction of the counter that summer. In the past fish were able to go over the weir and not be counted but this was addressed in 1992 when work was done on the weir and fish pass to stop this from happening, now all fish do go through the counter.
The E.A, have always used anglers' catch returns to assess the runs but only approx. 45% of anglers bothered to submit these so their figures were of no use, as they estimated that anglers landed 30% of the total runs. Now the E.A. use the figures as submitted by the clubs to the RFCA. Most clubs insist that their members submit, and declare, their catches at the end of the season, so this is a far more accurate way of assessment.

Re spawning. Very few fish spawn downstream of Waddow in the Ribble, and the runs up the Hodder have failed as much, or even more, than the Ribble runs. The Calder has not done as well as we had hoped and the beck at the bottom of the Calder, where most fish spawned is also failing. The only beck on the Ribble below Waddow where I know fish spawn, but only the odd pairs, is Merely and the Ribble Trust are carrying out a very big project to open up this beck.

The best indicator of how the runs are performing on our rivers are us anglers, by being on the water we see fish or we don't, we catch fish under the right conditions or we don't. All this comes after years of fishing and watching. If the fish are there then we know from our catch returns. The upper clubs this year have had a decent season due to all the high waters, other seasons, when its drier, its the lower clubs which benefit. From the reports I have received the spawning has been good around the Settle area and also above the Foss, so we remain positive and optimistic for the future.

budge

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the total rod catch for the season is.