Ribble 2019

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Best wishes for the New Year to all Ribble rods.
Lets hope we get more water for the season a head & hopefully better runs of fish.
I know it's a salmon forum but are there any of you out fishing for Grayling ?
If so it would be great to read your reports on how your doing.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all Ribbleheads!

Over the festive season I’ve mainly been fishing for a mojo. When I catch one I’ll let you know , hopefully well before opening day !

Last edited:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Best wishes for the New Year to all Ribble rods.
Lets hope we get more water for the season a head & hopefully better runs of fish.
I know it's a salmon forum but are there any of you out fishing for Grayling ?
If so it would be great to read your reports on how your doing.
Happy new year Paul and all,

Ive been planning on Grayling fishing but never seem to have the conditions when I'm free. Been getting into sea fishing though.

Tight lines for 2019,lets hope the missing fish from 2018 turn up as 3-4 sea winter springers.. One can dream

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Happy new year Paul and all,

Ive been planning on Grayling fishing but never seem to have the conditions when I'm free. Been getting into sea fishing though.

Tight lines for 2019,lets hope the missing fish from 2018 turn up as 3-4 sea winter springers.. One can dream
Happy New year Clint.
I was fishing for Grayling yesterday as a guest on Clitheroe, only managed an out of season brownie & missed quite a few more offer that come off straight away pal. I'm a little slow to react when I'm cold:lol:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Hooking grayling on the nymph is not easy if you only fish the method every now and then - as I found out on my one trip before Christmas !

Quick detection of takes and an instant strike are essential, they spit the fly out very quickly.

With very good grayling stocks in the river, the potential for a good catch is high though.

marksnsparks

Reaction score
Happy New year!
I hooked my first grayling on the Hodder before Christmas. On a self tied dry fly too. Must be beginners luck. Had loads of takes, but couldn't connect with any more. Any ideas why?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Happy New year!
I hooked my first grayling on the Hodder before Christmas. On a self tied dry fly too. Must be beginners luck. Had loads of takes, but couldn't connect with any more. Any ideas why?

Grayling can be notoriously difficult to hook on a dry fly, there have been some interesting articles in fly fishing magazines about it. My own observations are that my hooking success rate has been higher on small flies (size 16 to 20). Generally striking fairly quickly. On nymphs, the normal problem is spotting the take and striking quickly enough. I think with a bit of practice and the right set up (some sort of indicator or different coloured sections of leader), the success rate would increase dramatically.

marksnsparks

Reaction score
Grayling can be notoriously difficult to hook on a dry fly, there have been some interesting articles in fly fishing magazines about it. My own observations are that my hooking success rate has been higher on small flies (size 16 to 20). Generally striking fairly quickly. On nymphs, the normal problem is spotting the take and striking quickly enough. I think with a bit of practice and the right set up (some sort of indicator or different coloured sections of leader), the success rate would increase dramatically.
OK thanks for that. Any suggestions for a nymph pattern? I was thinking of an invicta or something red?

SP8

Reaction score
Happy New year!

That's the 64 thousand dollar question! I 've tried everything with grayling. I used to think quick was good but not so sure now as I've hooked fish with a noticeably longer wait. TBH they have usually been the better fish. I'm sure they either come short or miss because of their mouths. They are far more intolerant of floating leader than brownies in my experience. Keep it well degreased. As to nymphs an indicator of sorts makes the job far better. Although I've risen more with small dries I get better hook ups with larger flies like Klinks and sedges. Go figure

Sp8

marksnsparks

Reaction score
Hi Noeyedeer, what's the pattern for the bug. Presumably partridge fibres, and hares ear dub. What's the pink tag please.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Happy New year!

If they’re coming up short/fast to the dry, try presenting a spider (snipe & purple works well on Ribble / Hodder) on a floating line or greased leader just in the film or just under.

Otherwise suspend a v small bead head nymph under a stimmy or suchlike

Last edited:

marksnsparks

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a go, I've got plenty of spiders tied up.

Tardyrover

Reaction score
I had a nice brace of Grayling from the Hodder. Both around 1lb 12oz. On asize 16 Griffiths gnat. (Dry fly)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I think on the right day most nymphs of the right general size will get a response if they are fished at the right depth - generally in colder weather near the bottom.

The tricky bit is judging what weight of nymph for a particular piece of water and not losing too many on the bottom ! In my outing in December, I just used a home tied simple gold head bead size 16 nymph with a bit of peacock herl, produced plenty of takes.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a go, I've got plenty of spiders tied up.

If you fancy some guiding I can recommend

Pete Scholes (who used to live by the Hodder in Slaidburn) and has fished with all the top anglers:
Bowland Fly Fishing - Fly Fishing tuition and guide service for Lancashire & Yorkshire

Chris Aldred, based in Chorley (also gives double handed lessons at Mitton)

Chris Aldred - Chris Aldred Fly Fishing

Or look up Freddy Bainbridge who was National Rivers champ last year, he’s based in Ripon and guides throughout the north.

Fred Bainbridge Yorkshire Fly Fishing Services. - Home | Facebook

Edited with contact details

Last edited: