Ribble 2012

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Very little river activity at the moment, plenty of politics though. The Ribble is big yet again. The Waddow camera shows a large root bole from a massive tree stuck on the sill of the weir. On the Winkley weir there is another large tree trunk caught fast on the weir. It will take very big waters to move these. The rivers are big today but not big enough to move either of these.
Next monday night at the Derby Arms at Thornley near Logridge Paul Proctor is demonstrating how he ties up his successful dry flies. Will be another night worth turning out for. Met a lot of angers last month I had not seen for a long time, and Paul Little was brilliant with his salmon flies. A good night was enjoyed by all and its only a fiver entry and begins at 7.30
R.R.

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Very little river activity at the moment, plenty of politics though. The Ribble is big yet again. The Waddow camera shows a large root bole from a massive tree stuck on the sill of the weir. On the Winkley weir there is another large tree trunk caught fast on the weir. It will take very big waters to move these. The rivers are big today but not big enough to move either of these.
Next monday night at the Derby Arms at Thornley near Logridge Paul Proctor is demonstrating how he ties up his successful dry flies. Will be another night worth turning out for. Met a lot of angers last month I had not seen for a long time, and Paul Little was brilliant with his salmon flies. A good night was enjoyed by all and its only a fiver entry and begins at 7.30
R.R.

Looking at the two weir cameras this morning both trees have now gone, so the rivers must have come very big overninght. I thought the large root bole stuck at Waddow could have remained there for months as it was lodged fast in the corner and out of the main flow .
This amount of high water could well have done damage to some redds cut in the main river. The ones cut high up the becks should be fine.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Do many fish spawn in the main river RR?

Hi S.
Yes they do on a lot of the gravelled areas upstream from West Bradford to the top of the river. Some areas are more used than others and the fish return to these every year, unless the gravel has been washed away. They also cut in certain becks. What the ratio of fish spawning in the main river as opposed to the becks I'm not sure.
We have one beck that in the past was used by salmon more than what it is now, these days its more recognised for its sea trout spawning.
This beck was completely wiped out of spawning fish one year, around 1985 Just prior to spawning poachers at the very top poisoned it with a chemical which removed all the oxygen all the way down for a few miles. This killed not only a large numbers of mature fish but also the juvenile parr from the two previous seasons' spawning.
It took many years for this beck to return to a good spawning beck. I remember walking it and seeing the numbers of dead fish was heartbreaking. The bailiffs knew the culprits but had not enough evidence to prosecute. This is the worst kind of poaching as this chemical kills all river life as well as fish.
Fred.

chris68

Reaction score
Looking forward to this year, hoping to have a good run at the river, I intend to ask T7 to allow me to touch him before going after Sea Trout as he definitely had the golden touch last season, as for the Salmon, any fish will do.

Quite looking forward to getting on the river for the trout during a grannom hatch.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcminnow
Interesting RR. I heard on the grapevine there was a significant run of late fish on the Lune, throughout November and into December. In recent years almost 25% of the annual Lune run came in after the end of the season. Much of the mid Lune with which I am mainly familiar is a mixture of rocky and gravel pools which made for some excellent fishing.
Hi Mac.
I'm sure in many cases the late runners overcut the earlier cut redds, especially where there is a shortage of spawning gravel. The river Dunsop
(a tributary of the Hodder) is a good example of this. This lovely little river, reminds one of being in the Highlands, should be a great spawning trib, but for years it has suffered from heavy abstraction at the top. All the gravel which came down in high floods was removed from the water intake areas and dumpted resulting that no gravel, or very little, was washed into the rest of the Dunsop. It ended up being a river with no gravel only large rocks and boulders. About five years ago the Ribble Trust constructed three off river spawning channels, and they also built other areas filled with suitable gravel. These have been used by many salmon since and I'm sure these areas will have been overcut by late runners.
It now looks like this will change as the abstraction is about to end. Fingers crossed for the future.
The Lune is very similar to the Ribble, pools and gravel, the Hodder is more bedrock, with deep drop offs and lovely pools. We do not have a counter on the Hodder at the moment,( its been broken down since June) but if you read my T&S reports you will have read that over the last few years there are more fish returning to the Hodder than the Ribble itself. Some anglers think the counter figures are incorrect but we were assured that when it was working the counter figures were accurate. The Hodder is not as heavily fished as what the Ribble is resulting in less fish being caught, or being seen.
Fred.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Jan 8th.

A nice walk along the river at this time of the year gives that "lets get at em" feeling. Yesterday afternoon I took a friend up the river on some of the waters I fish, pointing out pools and runs which over twenty years have given up many fish to my flies.
The river was running at three feet, a bit big really, and it was not until we reached the top of the beat we found three big cock kelts, all in the teens of pounds. big ugly beasts, large heads and larger kypes. How different now to the the magnificent creatures they would have been when they pushed into the Ribble estuary all those months back. They had survived and done their job, passing on their big genes to the next generation of Ribble salmon.
We walked and talked all fishy talk, how we like our respective waters, comparing one against the other. We discussed the way forward for the rivers and the excellent work being done by the Ribble Trust, the RFCA, and the Hodder Consultative. Another topic was how in the future clubs will have to work together more. Our voices were drowned out by a large flock of Canada geese taking off from a large pond in the middle of the field. On the opposite bank was an early flock of oyster catchers, these birds spend the winter on the mudflats of the estuaries before returning to the river in late February, was this the first sign that spring may be earlier this year?
A nice start to the New Year.
Another bonus tomorrow night is to watch Paul Proctor demonstrating how he ties his dry flies. This is at the Derby Arms Thornley near Longridge. Last month it was Paul Little and very well supported and enjoyed. These evenings are organised by the Vale of Loud branch of the Fly Dressers Guild and start at 7.30. Well worth coming along. It matter little how long we have fished we can all learn something from these lads.

wilbert

Reaction score
As it is the New Year and a time when few of us will venture out on to the river I thought it would be a good time to highlight the 2 blogs that the Ribble Rivers Trust keep updated. The first blog is from the trust director Jack Spees and covers the day to day activities and some of the many projects that the trust undertakes. The second blog is done by Gareth Jones and is dedicated to the spring salmon tagging project. Below are the links to the 2 blogs. Check them fortnightly for the updates.

Fisheries Scientist Blog and News from the RCCT | Ribble Catchment Conservation Trust

Salmon Tagging | Ribble Catchment Conservation Trust

Tight lines for 2012 and beyond and hopefully I will meet a few new faces over the next 12 months as the trust is always looking for volunteers.

D

Deleted member 945

Looking forward to this year, hoping to have a good run at the river, I intend to ask T7 to allow me to touch him before going after Sea Trout as he definitely had the golden touch last season, as for the Salmon, any fish will do.

Quite looking forward to getting on the river for the trout during a grannom hatch.

Haha, thanks Chris I'll look forward to that! Maybe some of your luck with the salmon will rub off on me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Salmon Tackle for Sale

A keen Ribble angler has asked if I can mention that he is selling all of his salmon fishing tackle, fly, spin and bait tackle. The amount of tackle is far too much and varied to type out in Classified as individual items, but it included B&W 15ft rods, new fly reels and Spey lines to match on all the reels he has, plus hundreds of salmon flies tied by a professional tier . The reason he is packing up is down to health as he has suffered a bad accident.

Now is the time of the year to be thinking of anything you are short of before the season begins. If interestred in any item give him a ring. Paul Watson Tel 07848920216.

speers

Reaction score
£20K for another white elephant!! The government is cutting money left right and centre and then throwing at these pointless and costly projects just because some consider them green. i would rather see the money being spent improving the river rather than wrecking it just to get some "cheap" and "green" energy.

BBC News - Whalley Hydro £20,000 grant for hydro-electric generator
So has this been agreed Dave i thought it had been knocked back? these skeems are a joke, they just arnt green at all when you look at what is actually involved in terms of costs/ and enviromental impact.

wilbert

Reaction score
Simon the origonal plans were rejected but they have won a £20k grant to redesign the plans to something more suitable to the local planning authority. So reading between the lines it looks like Whalley will be getting a hydro generator.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Simon the origonal plans were rejected but they have won a £20k grant to redesign the plans to something more suitable to the local planning authority. So reading between the lines it looks like Whalley will be getting a hydro generator.

This is a carbon copy of what's already happened on the Lune. After initial setbacks, the project at Forge Weir has received a grant to proceed with research.

What is now clear is that none of these projects have given any consideration to the impact on fish and fishing in their ongoing research.

Last edited:

Skiptonian

Reaction score
Can Anglers not get a grant to investigate what appears to be a scam to get Govenment (Taxpayers) money?

Skiptonian

Last edited:

nelsonbaz

Reaction score
green thing

it is all another loophole where companys are making money out of the government it seems, and they are blind but are seen to be doing the green thing

SP8

Reaction score
Can Anglers not get a grant to investigate what appears to be a scam to get Govenment (Taxpayers) money?

Skiptonian
Hi,
We share an MP. I sent him a letter the other day on the lines of the one I posted on here. If you haven't done so I suggest you give him a heads up. I mentioned the white elephant installed at Settle in his constituency and what a waste of taxpayers money that had been. Mind you I am not holding my breath expecting any action but you have to try.

SP8

wilbert

Reaction score
Was anyone brave enought to wet a line yesterday? With good water height and mild conditions until the last couple of days any fish that are in the river could have gone anywhere. I am going to wet a line this month just not sure when or where.

speers

Reaction score
i'll be trying some new lines out so i'll certaily turn my thoughts to fishing proper after the casting.

D

Deleted member 945

I'll also be out (when it warms up a bit) for some casting practice!

roders

Reaction score
I won't be able to resist going out for some practice casting at least this weekend...... So long as the snow holds off.
I'll eat my waders if I manage a Springer during opening week, but would like to hear from other ribblers what they do to try and avoid kelts?
Has there ever been a reasonable measure of how many fish enter the river in February? I imagine single figures would be optimistic.
But if our lines arn't wet, we ain't gunna get...

Rod

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Feb 5th.

The season is with us, but the chance of a fish from the Ribble is well nigh unachievable at this time of the season. Its a white wipeout this morning. Snow yesterday has frozen overnight and the river is dropping fast. The 12 inch height marker on the weir at Waddow came into view on the 1st of this month for only the second time since late November.
I took my usual morning walk to the river and tracked two deer across the fields, along with a prowling fox, and a few rabbits had been out scratching the snow. The beauty of snow you see tracks of animals which have been about during the dark hours.
Most of you will know, or you soon will, if your clubs send out the information on the trapping and tagging of our springers this spring at Waddow. This is being carried out by volunteers from the Ribble Trust and the E.A.'s fishery team. It is one of the most important projects ever on this river and its thanks to Wilbert who's idea it was and who convinced his fellow trustees that it should show us just where are valuable springers spawn. It is hoped that it will run for the next three seasons, gaining more information every year.
This is where the Ribble Fisheries Consultative's web cam at Waddow will be very handy showing the height which will tell us when, and if, the trap is worth setting. Ribble Fisheries has donated £4000 towards this trapping project. I always promised that the subscriptions from anglers joining the RFCA would go back to the river, so all those who did join have helped in a small way to set this project in motion, so many thanks from both Wilbert and me.
Later this month the passwword to access the three river cams will be changed and the subscriptions for the RFCA are also due. Once you have joined, or re-joined, you will be given the new password. Any angler who is not a member of either the RFCA or the Trust please consider joining one or both organisations, as you can now appreciate that you money is being put to good use on the river.
Those of you who are members of Ribblesdale Anging Association do nothing as you are automatically a member of both of these organisations when you join RAA. No other club offers their members this on top of excellent fishing at an affordable subscriptions.

Ribblesdale have a long list of anglers waiting to join and the committee is considering giving prioity to those anglers who show that they are supporting the river by joining the Trust or the RFCA and working for the river. These are the anglers who are prepared to put something back to the river so rightly deserve being considered first.

Last edited:

roders

Reaction score
I'd just like to add, that the combined cost of joining both the RFCA and RT is £35, which lets be honest, isn't even getting us a Saturday night on the tiles these days!
A quick glance at both these web sites shows what good is being done in the background to improve the habitat and our fishing.
I've read a lot about the Tyne improvement projects, and there success illustrates well how a river system can be transformed when continued investment and support is channeled in the right direction. The measured results achieved through habitat improvement and increased water quality are simply amazing!
I'll hopefully meet some of you keen ribblers during improvement activities over the coming season.

Tight lines!

Rod

Last edited: