Ribble 2011

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
A very "Happy New Year" to you all
We are on countdown to a new season. Tight lines and bent rods for a successful one
R.R.

laird of aros

Reaction score
A very "Happy New Year" to you all
We are on countdown to a new season. Tight lines and bent rods for a successful one
R.R.

And i will second that quote!
I figured that as you very kindly sent me your secret weapon upon me joining the ribble trust that the worm and fly gear should be laid aside this season.After receiving gift vouchers for John Norris courtesy of the wife for Xmas i purchased a new reel and had the appropriate line fitted that will go well with my greys 13ft salmon rod.Just one small problem:confused: I have never used a double handed fly rod other than for worming.I live in the Blackburn area and wondered if anyone would have any details of a local casting instructor that they would recommend?
Many Thanks in advance
Rob

luney

Reaction score
Casting Instructor

Hi LOA

If you are after lessons Jim Fearn is your man, i am about to book a lesson or two myself. He comes highly recommended and lives in the Clitheroe area which will be handy for yourself.

You can contact him on Mob 07875174294
I am sure he wont mind giving his number on the forum.

ATB

Luney

laird of aros

Reaction score
Hi LOA

If you are after lessons Jim Fearn is your man, i am about to book a lesson or two myself. He comes highly recommended and lives in the Clitheroe area which will be handy for yourself.

You can contact him on Mob 07875174294
I am sure he wont mind giving his number on the forum.

ATB

Luney

Many Thanks for this Luney
The number is noted and i will call him in the morning.
Rob

luney

Reaction score
No problem Rob hope you have alot of success with the fly rod mate.

carrowmore

Reaction score
I would second the recommendation for Jim Fearn who is an excellent teacher.

I'd also like to thank Ribble Rod for his regular updates and informative posts during 2010.

Good luck to all Ribble/Hodder fishers for 2011 . Can't wait for that first Spring day !

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
All the best to all Ribble Rods, here’s to a good 2011!

I too was lucky enough to get tackle vouchers for Xmas (and a metal detector but that’s another storey!)

I've already been and spent them on a new fly tying set up and got all the ingredients need to tie up batches and batches of Ribble Rods 'killer' fly.

Copper has always been a favorite colour of mine so those salmon don't stand a chance.

I too will be using the fly rod more this season, I got a couple lessons with Jim curtsy of the Mrs for my Birthday so going to get the casting cleaned up for spring.

I'm already itching to get out, I promised the Mrs I wouldn't Grayling fish this year because she never saw me in August, September, October as well as most of June & July so Aprils going to be my start date this year.....

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Extension to the Ribbles season??

I've just been reading a thread about the Annan having its season extended by two weeks this season, C&R only, a trial I think and it got me thinking…

I know these ‘trail’ C&R, Fly or spin only experiments have been done on other rivers too eg Conwy, Clwyd & Seiont, and was wondering what Ribble fishers thought if a proposition was put forward to increase the Ribbles season?

We still get a run of later clean fish into January (mainly Hodder fish) and so I suspect many would welcome an extension.

I know what my view is, I’d welcome it but with strict regulations i.e C&R only, possible method restrictions and in specific none spawning areas.

I can see why some wouldn’t want it in that ‘leave them too it’ but what if the catch data was to be used to gather post season run data or even for a hatchery program why shouldn’t it be a good idea???

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
It would get my vote anytime on C/R only terms, as in my eyes the main run of fish dont come into the river in numbers until mid September onwards. Most season i dont get my first fish until October :eek: Id rather fish in November and miss out on Feb and March any time.

jonothan

Reaction score
Jim is the man, great instructor especially on shooting heads which is a usefull set up on ribble. Lower river will produce the odd springer but probably not untill late April early May, best bet is the tide sensitive sections below Tickled Trout.

wilbert

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on extending the season on the Ribble. Some of the fish I have caught in October have been close to spawning, especially in a wet year when the fish have been in the river for a long time and conditions have been in their favour. There is no doubt that we get fresh fish running the river in Nov and even Dec but I suspect that these either run the Hodder or spawn in the lower river as the Waddow figures are never huge for these months. The fish have to be left to get on with it at some point and our season end is in line with most rivers in England and Wales with the exception of some Cornish rivers. If the Ribble season was to be extended then I would probably drop my back end fishing on the Nith / Tweed as I am sure the Ribble would produce good numbers of fish in November but would this extra pressure on the fish so close to spawning be counter productive? The overall pattern on the Ribble system is one of improvement and more fish are being caught as a result. What we really need on the Ribble is a reliable spring run that goes from Feb to June which would give us more sport than a 2 week extension. The trust is in the process of looking into ideas to monitor the spring fish and improve their spawning habitat which at the moment is very poor and needs to be addressed on many fronts.

Tight lines to all for 2011.

playhappy

Reaction score
longer season

A longer season........christ.... I don’t know if I could handle it mentally, emotionally, physically.....plus who’s going to tell the wives ? Perhaps we could send them a group Text message.

Is it prudent to put the golden goose on a vicious battery farm cycle. 20 hours on, 4 off, golden egg laying shift pattern. Pushing the goose to give more than is naturally sustainable, until finally it’s found, with the 1000 mile stare, chain smoking, quivering and twitching from amphetamine psychosis. No-one needs a disturbed and crazy goose........its bad for business. What that goose needs is gentle care and a chance to recover...balance.

If anybody would want to use this crack goose analogy for team building sessions.......please be my guest!

I would love to fish on but caution and the greatest of care should be taken making this decision. Be careful what you wish for etc

Playhappy, Boo

Last edited:

SP8

Reaction score
I would agree that unless there is good evidence of a strong run of late running fish in good condition then any extension to the season only means the stale fish getting a hammering they could do without. It's probably best to leave well alone.

SP8

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Season extension

I mainly fish the upper Ribble for salmon, normally just a few days towards the end of October. I feel happy enough carefully catching and releasing fish (crunched down barbs, strong leader, don't take fish out of the water) but the vast majority are coloured by then and I would say that the end of October is about right for the season to close. I know more fresh fish run the hodder late season but I well remember some of the old Hodder bailiffs saying that some of the late runners ran pretty much straight onto the spawning beds and spawned while still quite silver so external colour isn't the only consideration. I used to watch salmon spawning in a beck which joins the Ribble (sadly, very few there now) and some of those appeared quite silver. The dream would certainly be to get the salmon running earlier. An old club member (sadly no longer alive) remembered three anglers each playing a salmon in the same modest size pool on the upper Ribble at the same time - in May !

mcminnow

Reaction score
Although I can't comment on matters to do wiith the Ribble, the idea of extending the season was raised some years ago in respect of the Lune, but came to nothing.

The reasons quoted at the time were more to do with the large number of fish being recorded through the Forge Weir fish counter throughout November and December. At one time, almost 25% of the total fish count for the season was being registered after 31st October according to the figures published by LWFA.

At this time there was just a trickle of fish entering the river during the first few months of the season and the bulk of fish only started to arrive from September onwards. 20 years ago we'd fish hard from the beginning of September but the runs seemed to thin out and get later.

The reappearance of a late Spring run in April/May in 2009 and 2010 has to some extent changed the thinking, particularly as this appears to have coincided with reduced runs in September and October. In short, the Lune appears to be getting around the same number of fish, but now at different times in the season if the fish counts from Forge Weir are to believed.

Last edited:
S

switch

Hello to the Ribble thread.

Hello, I just wanted to say hello to the Ribble thread and thank Ribble Rod for his excellent reports.

Skiptonian

Reaction score
Settle Hydro

Hello,

I finally saw the Hydro screw turning yesterday.

Does anyone know the accurate real world Electricity generating figures this has actually produced compared to what the proponants of this scheme claimed it would?

If, as I suspect it is not producing very much at all, then future schemes on the Ribble may prove to not viable in economic terms.

Given it's construction and transportation across Europe by road, I personally fail to see what is environmentally friendly about it.

cheers
Skiptonian

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally saw the Hydro screw turning yesterday.

Does anyone know the accurate real world Electricity generating figures this has actually produced compared to what the proponants of this scheme claimed it would?

If, as I suspect it is not producing very much at all, then future schemes on the Ribble may prove to not viable in economic terms.

Given it's construction and transportation across Europe by road, I personally fail to see what is environmentally friendly about it.

cheers
Skiptonian

Up to the end of last year it generated just over 46000 kwh of electricity in 2010. I'm not sure, without browsing the internet, how much electricity the average house uses per year, Happen somebody will tell us?
Your correct in what you say regarding the cost, the install was about £450K Our main concern now as anglers should be the many others sites on our rivers which have been identified by the E.A. and the British Hydro Association as suitable for generating electricity by hydros.
R.R.

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Settle Hydro

"Does anyone know the accurate real world Electricity generating figures this has actually produced compared to what the proponants of this scheme claimed it would?"

Would be interesting to see and to see how it compares with the cost of installation. Most renewable energy projects get a subsidy (Feed In Tarriff) which is substantially higher than the value/income of the electricity generated (although this is linked to the amount of electricity, so the less electricity generated, the lower the subsidy).

The sea has got to be the place to generate renewable power ultimately - 100% reliable water flow 365 days per year and hopefully with very little efect on the environment (make sure they are not in river estuaries !).

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Settle Hydro

Up to the end of last year it generated just over 65000 kwh of electricity in 2010. I'm not sure, without browsing the internet, how much electricity the average house uses per year, Happen somebody will tell us?
Your correct in what you say regarding the cost, the install was about £450K Our main concern now as anglers should be the many others sites on our rivers which have been identified by the E.A. and the British Hydro Association as suitable for generating electricity by hydros.
R.R.

You normally get about 3 p per kW hour of electricity from energy suppliers or up to 9 or 10 p if you use the electricity yourself.

At 3p, income = £1,950. Subsidy could be up to 20p = up to £13,000.

So return of poss up to 3%, although I am sure there will be ongoing costs to subtract.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
You normally get about 3 p per kW hour of electricity from energy suppliers or up to 9 or 10 p if you use the electricity yourself.

At 3p, income = £1,950. Subsidy could be up to 20p = up to £13,000.

So return of poss up to 3%, although I am sure there will be ongoing costs to subtract.

Just corrected my figure for electricity generated by Settle last year it should be 46000 kwh and not 65000

roders

Reaction score
settle hydro

I took a close look at the settle hydro screw last year and was quite amazed that it is called "fish safe". Is it really? it looked like it would chop the head off any considerably sized fish which tried to venture up it? I understand the implications of these systems interupting the fishes important journey but is there any evidence to suggest that they cause physical damage too?

Rod