Ribble 2010

lax

Reaction score
oops I think an apology may be in order. like I said I dont fish the Ribble and haven't done since 1990 when I had 1 season in accrington anglers and fished once or twice. Just a keen angler who lives local and keeps an eye out. bit of a profile stalker are we?

tickledtrout

Reaction score
oops i think an apology may be in order. Like i said i dont fish the ribble and haven't done since 1990 when i had 1 season in accrington anglers and fished once or twice. Just a keen angler who lives local and keeps an eye out. Bit of a profile stalker are we?

stalker no i prefer the stealth approach:d

tickledtrout

Reaction score
Took your time register office isn,t open till the morning so you can change your name on your birth certificate
anyway cant be bothered with idiots go and slag other fellow anglers on the scottish rivers for fishing worm this forum dosnt need idiots like you cant wait for the day we meet

wilbert

Reaction score
Come lads chill out. You both have some valid points but a public slanging match will not sort anything out. We should be pulling together not driving a wedge between ourselves.

lax

Reaction score
The clown has the wrong person and an inferiority complex. He doesn't seem to understand that I'm not who he thinks I am. worming on scottish rivers and arguing about returing fish in Mellings wood? I'm obviously talking to a brick wall trying to explain to him that i'm not this Paul guy.
I'll do my best to make a proper introduction this season if you have it low enough down there to be worth fishing. Fingers crossed it will be another wet summer and most of the fish will head further upstream.
If you cant talk constructively on the matter then I wouldnt bother if I were you Mr tickled trout. Last thing anyone can be arsed with is this turning into another River Forth thread.

tickledtrout

Reaction score
I,LL give you clown I,LL be on the river at the tickled trout tommorow anytime after 2.30 so stop hideing behind your keyboard slagging everybody see what a man you really are

lax

Reaction score
haha! A proper school playground reply! I will see you later in the season not tomorrow at 2.30 in the bushes! I have a job and unfortunatley I'm very busy during the working week. However, If I see this paul fella I will send him for a roughing up! Have fun! xx

Rennie

Reaction score
Had a nice day out Ribbleside today,lovely spring day,no fresh fish or even a sight of one just two very very well mended kelts.More mucking about with new lines and rods and getting the muscles stretched than fishing with any real expectancy of a fresh fish but as it go's you end up fishing hard just in case.Pedro.

Reaction score
Kelts

Sorry to add a scientific slant to the thread but one thing I'm really interested in is the survival rates of kelts. Although I'm guessing people don't add kelts to their catch returns (and shouldn't) do people keep a rough record? The current belief is that survival of kelts is partly dependant on the flow they have to put up with post spawning. Spates are needed to get them out to sea but if the spates are to great due to reduced energy big spates at the wrong time kill them off. Two main questions:
Do people agree with that theory?

Would people be willing to record their kelt catches and recording number of days fished before June 16th specifically?

This isn't me saying they should - but asking would the majority of people do it? The kelts returning to sea and then returning to freshwater as multi spawners is important to anglers cause they are the big ones!

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Couple of points tonight:

Kelts: No problem recording anything I hook/land/don't land - any form of traceability can only help our understanding of fish movements I'd guess.

Shaws Arms/Church Deeps - I have it on good authority from somone who knows that the club taking over will have to offer day tickets anyway.
Might be better fishing it on a bona fide ticket than looking over your shoulder not sure if it's truly "free" or not. Haven't ever been down there myself, but that beat seems to stir things up on several forums when it crops up.
I think the council went for a highest bid approach rather than offer it to a local club who might be better placed to look after it properly. Short term gains most likely. Up for review in 3yrs.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sorry to add a scientific slant to the thread but one thing I'm really interested in is the survival rates of kelts. Although I'm guessing people don't add kelts to their catch returns (and shouldn't) do people keep a rough record? The current belief is that survival of kelts is partly dependant on the flow they have to put up with post spawning. Spates are needed to get them out to sea but if the spates are to great due to reduced energy big spates at the wrong time kill them off. Two main questions:
Do people agree with that theory?

Would people be willing to record their kelt catches and recording number of days fished before June 16th specifically?

This isn't me saying they should - but asking would the majority of people do it? The kelts returning to sea and then returning to freshwater as multi spawners is important to anglers cause they are the big ones!
Morning Jack
I can see your scientific brain coming into gear with this one, and its well worth considering? Your correct when you mention post spawning and we seem to have more kelts about this spring than some of the years I have known in the recent past. We have had no big winter floods, and the lifts of water we have had have only peaked at about 3ft, enough to take most kelts down to Waddow and over the weir. The question is, should we be even fishing at this time in the season? and also do some anglers go out purposely to try to catch these unclean fish, as we know they are ready takers which some anglers find good sport?

When I go out at this time of the season I choose an area where i know kelts do not hold, but a spinger may just rest. Going off the Waddow counter figures fishing upstream of here in March & April is only targeting kelts and I do not do it any more. My lesson was learnt a few years back when I landed in one afternoon eight well mended kelts ( All hens by the way). I found no satisfaction in this and came away feeling that I had been wrong to carry on fishing when I knew kelts were so numerous. I can't see where anglers declaring their kelt catches will help, only encourage more to fish for them.
Some anglers will not take up their rods until after June 16th and I get slammed by a friend of mine every year for fishing myself before that date. My response is, that where and when I fish there is always a chance of a fresh fish, which has to be returned, and as I return 99% of my fish anyway what does it matter which month we fish providing the fish is landed as quickly as possible and handled and returned as gentle as possible.
Fred.

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Falkus Memorial Evening

A late reminder of the Falkus evening tonight at the BAE Canbarra club starting at 7.30.
A good number of tickets have been sold but there will be a few available on the door. This is always a good night and a chance to have a "meet up" it certainly beats sitting in and watching the bleeding soap operas which flood our tele channels these days.Or trying to emulate the chefs we are being encouraged to copy, who every night churn out food which will empty your pockets in their star rated restaurants.
R.R.

Grey Duster

Reaction score
It was a great event - much appreciated. Looking forward to watching the DVD again at home.
GD

wilbert

Reaction score
It was a good night and was well attended, hopefully there will have been a good sum of money raised so that the consutative can continue its good work. I also bumped into a few forum members too which is always an added bonus.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Water Quality

In the news today:

A PIONEERING £10million water project in the Trough of Bowland has given a boost to wildlife and the environment, according to experts.

Water giant United Utilities (UU) has improved the quality of ‘raw’ water before it reaches treatment works in a land management project over the last five years.

Company bosses said the scheme had transformed some of the most important gathering grounds for water supplies in the uplands of the Ribble Valley.

Over many years, uplands have been drained to allow intensive stock farming, but the drying out of blanket bogs led to erosion and the pollution of water sources.

Previously, all water would have been collected and then cleaned chemically at purification plants, however this scheme aims to improve the landscape so that the some of the water can purify naturally.

As part of the project, known as SCaMP (Sustainable Catchment Management Programme), new woodland has been planted and peat bogs and moorland have been restored to levels not seen since before the industrial revolution.

Farmers have also been enlisted with use of pesticides being reduced in a bid to remove impurities from water.

Bryan Homan, UU’s catchment manager, said that by making changes such as moving lambing locations, planting woodland strips, stabilising soils and restoring blanket bog, farmers were not only protecting water but also making a ‘huge’ difference to wildlife and the landscape.

He said: "Catchment land is the primary filter for this water and it’s receiving renewed focus so it can play a greater role in managing this precious resource from source to the customer’s tap.”

UU owns 10,000 hectares of land in the Trough of Bowland that drains into Stocks reservoir and the River Hodder, serving thousands of people with drinking water.

In the Trough of Bowland and South Pennines area improvements includes, 12,300 hectares of blanket bog being brought into an improved condition; 100 hectares of bare peat restored by stabilising it with mesh and re-seeding with grass and heather; 430 hectares of new native broadleaf woodland planted and 20 new or improved farm buildings for animals and to provide better muck handling facilities

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble & Hodder Update

I have been asked by Brian Wells the chairman of the Hodder Consultative to pass on his grateful thanks to all anglers who supported the Falkus evening last Thursday. It was an excellent night enjoyed by about 180 local anglers.
The total raised on the night is our best yet. After all the expenses have been taken out the Hodder Consultative have raised approx £2800 which is brilliant. This total will go a long way towards helping to finance the continuing work helping bring the fish back.
This is always a good night early in the season and it's nice to be able to sit and have a chat with anglers from other clubs we only meet occasionally.
I have been asked how the web cams are progressing, we are getting there. The one on the Hodder is up and running but it needs to be put on the RFCA web site when our IT chap can do it. He should have been flying off on holiday three days ago but his flight was cancelled due to the volanic dust which caused so much havoc. I have not heard from him since so I assume he may now have gone. I'm sure he will complete it on his return. The one at Jumbles was ready to be fit at the same time but the hold up on this is due to the E.A, they failed to do a risk assessment. Say no more! I was told yesterday that the paperwork is now complete, so, with a bit of luck we should have all cameras working and on the site in a couple of weeks, just in time for when the rains come
R.R.

Reaction score
Scamp

It was good to see the piece on here by noeyedear about scamp. This project will help to improve the health of the river hodder immeasurably. It is what every rivers trust is trying to do! Starting at the top tackling some simple but expensive problems. I've just been on a training course in cornwall and devon where the West country rivers trust are doing work for South west water which has similar goals. Although a great Green project - UU will benefit from consistent cleaner water to abstract which will save us on our water bills but also help put more fish in the river. The timing is also brilliant when combined with the Brennand and Whitendale abstraction alleviation. More water in the river that's cleaner and less prone to extreme water levels - what more could we want!! It is the perfect example of how we can do something that is amazing for the environment but also saves us money! Now if only we can replicate this on the rest of the catchment we will really be achieving something. Which is what RCCT's aim is!!

C3OLIN

Reaction score
10 Million?

Good to see the Falkus evening raised all that money for a damn good cause but why all the time effort and damned hard work for little money when UU can suddenly produce 10 million from out of a hat and give bugger all to the cause?Try compensation water from Stocks for a start costs bugger all that!

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Web Cams

A message to all members of the Ribble Fisheries Consultative

I'm pleased to report that we now have the Web Cam up and running on the Hodder at Winkley. You have all been issued with the log in password whch opens both camera images. Once you have logged in just click on whichever image you wish to see and then the back button to open the other image
Both images show the river down to summer level, but how valuable these cameras will be when the rains do eventually come.

We are still waiting for the paperwork to be completed by the E.A. then the camera for Jumbles Rocks will be installed and working as well.
R.R.

wilbert

Reaction score
Was out on the river yesterday fishing for trout with a mate who had never fished on a river before and we noticed that there were good numbers of salmon parr and smolts about. The first thing that I noticed about the smolts was that although they were fat and looked well fed they were very short. Most of the smolts I have caught in the past have been between 5" and 9" long. The ones I was catching yesterday were 3" to 4 " long. Some were half way through the smolting process but most were bright silver and ready to go to sea on the next flood. I have taken a scale sample off two of these fish for Jack to determine their age. When talking to another angler he had made the same observations as me. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just isolated to the area in which i was fishing?? Has the hard winter made them smolt early??