Ribble 2010

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Cheers Fred, see you there too.

Im down in Warwick at mo and driving back late Thursday afternoon so may be a bit late.

If you have a spare trust fly tied up please bring one to the meeting, I've got £20 in my wallet I want to donate to trust.

See you Thurs

Clint

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Dave the trust as come along way in such a short time, im looking forward to seeing salmon and sea trout in the pools for the first time in my life time. Id love to be able to hook a salmon in the rivers i fished as a nipper.:)

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Dec 12th

Over the last three days of milder conditions the iced over rivers melted, bringing a nice lift of over two feet. This should have beeen enough to move the trapped fish onto the gravel beds to spawn. Fish were on the move again yesterday as a good number were seen at Locks weir above Settle, no doubt they will have pushed on over Stainforth Foss making for the headwaters.
The conditions over the last few weeks has been a worry to many of us, we wondered if the fish would be able to spawn at all this season if those Arctic condition had carried on any longer.
The weather is predicted to become very cold again this coming week, as cold some say as we have had for the past three weeks. Overnight the temperatures have once again dropped to well below freezing we just hope that the fish have taken advantage of the thaw.
R.R.

Reaction score
Making the most of good water

Went to Sawley twice today once at 11 and once at 3 and there were over a dozen fish spawning there on both visits

I reckon there will be an awful lot of main river spawning this year as we have just not had the water to get salmon into the tribs - I had visited swanside today and only found trout redds and the remains of half of a mink eaten brownie of about 2lb

I hope the forecast is wrong and we get another spate before January

speers

Reaction score
Went to Sawley twice today once at 11 and once at 3 and there were over a dozen fish spawning there on both visits

I reckon there will be an awful lot of main river spawning this year as we have just not had the water to get salmon into the tribs - I had visited swanside today and only found trout redds and the remains of half of a mink eaten brownie of about 2lb

I hope the forecast is wrong and we get another spate before January

fame at last last jack,
saw the news the other night and it is reward for all the trust's work that you can get it on the local news at prime time viewing well done , i hope you and the trust manage to keep up with all this progress for years to come .

b. regards and have a merry christmas si

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Dec 19th

The Arctic conditions have returned, a bit like I wrote one Sunday morning earlier in the month, but now it feels even colder, the temperatures on the cameras this morning are -24 at Jumbles,-19 at Waddow and -10 at Winkley. These are out a bit but both Jumbles and Waddow are exposed over water and the Winkley one is slightly sheltered by trees. I would guess that the air temperature here in Clitheroe is about -10.

At least the fish have managed to spawn on the Ribble thanks to the thaw. The ice melted, the river came up, and the fish took full advantage. Its as if Mother Nature knew that she had to protect some of her children for the future. It will be unlikely that many fish will have managed to get into the becks of Skirden. Long Preston, Swanside or Rathmell due to lack of water and most spawning will be have been in the main river.
This coming week is for celebrating Christmas and the beginning of a New Year, but before them I will be celebrating on Tuesday the 21st being the shortest day. From then the days will lengthen, it may be in the depth of winter but it will get better and we will be into a new season before we know it.

Yesterday I received a Christmas Card from the lads at Trout & Salmon and its one of the best cards a fisherman could hope to get. A beautiful close up of a Dee type salmon fly with long heron hackles tied on a big single iron and hooked into a branch covered by snow which is reflecting the blue of the sky. A perfect card, no angels, Father Christmas, reindeers, or the rest of the usual Christmas hype. If I knew how to scan and post it on the forum I would.
Maybe Wilbert will call and show me?
But for now I will send you all my best wishes to you all and your families for a very Merry Christams and a peaceful New Year. Keep warm and Keep well, remember a new spring is just round the corner.
Fred.