Ribble 2010

wilbert

Reaction score
I goes off thickness too, there is a gauge that it must pass through for a standard first class stamp. I had problems posting out the membership packs at the start of the season when they introduced the large first class stamp. I took a sample to the post office and it was ok for a standard stamp but 10 to 12 of our members got clobbered for extra postage where the other 100 or so were ok:confused:

yespsb

Reaction score
ditto

They pass the envelope through a perpex gauge to work out the postage cost, strangely weight is not a factor:confused: You can see them do this all day long at any post office up and down the country, the annoying thing is that only 10p of the surcharge is for the stamp, the remaining quid is an admin fee for writing out a slip saying come and get your letter !

I had no probs paying it but I would rather the money had gone to the trust rather than the bloody pedantic post office. Btw nice fly Fred.

Last edited:

wilbert

Reaction score
Anyone been out for the Grayling? I had a short walk with my young pup along the river yesterday and it looked in great condition. I'm not a huge Grayling fisherman and am not very good / knowledgeable but I do like the odd day here and there and I was very tempted yesterday.

Hodder321

Reaction score
My favourite time of the year for Grayling Nov / Dec. I tend to go to the Welsh Dee but the Hodder amd Middle Ribble are good too. I love Salmon fishing but lifes too short just to fish for them alone. Don't forget spring sipder fishing for wild brownies is but a few months away too. The thing is we pay all this money for the fishing and its concentrated in Sept and Oct for the Salmon those who overlook the rest miss out. Plus in my view the time is not wasted for the Salmon either as you learn the river all the time whatever you are after.

al44

Reaction score
Could anyone give any recommendations for grayling flies (patterns and sizes) for the Hodder and Ribble?

Many thanks

Hodder321

Reaction score
Depends where on the Ribble or Hodder. Upper reaches small bugs and spiders. Middle /lower I always use weighted Czech nymph’s size 14 or 12 you need to get well down . Use two one point and one dropper and fish a kind of variant method about one to two rod lengths of line out unlike proper Czech nymphing where you have about a foot of fly line out. Don’t make the mistake I did for many years and not bother when its high in fact that’s the best time. But use great big bugs something like 8 or 10 and fish close in. That’s my advice I am no expert but I always enjoy myself.

Floyd

Reaction score
Partridge and yellow, snipe and purple and a weighted nymph on point does for me on Hodder, same for Ribble although had an hour bugging today and had a couple of small 'uns. Incidently a salmon in the teens of pounds and as fresh as a daisy jumped out right in front of me. Makes you long for the new season!

fishless26

Reaction score
anyone been up to stainforth foss above se recently watching the salmon jump the falls? i went up a couple of weeks ago and saw a fair few but was thinking i might pop up this weekend or is it too late?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
anyone been up to stainforth foss above se recently watching the salmon jump the falls? i went up a couple of weeks ago and saw a fair few but was thinking i might pop up this weekend or is it too late?

The forecast is for cold dry weather, so don't waste your time, it will be better spent looking at the redds already cut in Giggleswick beck close to Settle. I was up in Settle on the 13th and checked it out, and four salmon redds were already cut then which is early.
Fred.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Nov 28th.

Its a cold one this morning, cold enough to "Freeze the balls off a brass monkey" I have just come in from a walk to the river put on the kettle and settled down to write my T&S report.
The river is beginning to freeze over and with temperatures well below freezing its no wonder. Checking the three web cams earlier the ambient temperatures were showing -7 at Waddow -12 at Winkley and -15 at Jumbles. I know these, like the time on the cameras, are a bit high but take my word for it its bl**dy cold.
We are lucky really as we have no snow, unlike our friends in S.Scotland and Northumberland, where it wants to stay, but we may have some next week if the predicted strong Easterly wind comes across.
I checked out the spawning area around Sawley yesterday but there are no signes of any redds being cut yet, but a friend rang to say fish had started to spawn up at Paythorne. This cold weather should bring them onto the redds. The river is very low, we could do with a small lift to bring the late runners up to the part of the river they spawn at.
Keep Warm.

mcminnow

Reaction score
That is very cold, but I remember my sister telling me they had severe frosts in Kirkby Lonsdale and not that much snow (except for earlier this year). It's a balmy -3C in West Yorkshire.:), but only a dusting of snow.

Last edited:

Niccancatch

Reaction score
that is very cold, but i remember my sister telling me they had severe frosts in kirkby lonsdale and not that much snow (except for earlier this year). It's a balmy -3c in west yorkshire.:), but only a dusting of snow.

-7 on up on the moors here at baildon mac!:)

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I'm not surprised as it's a bit exposed up there.............we're a bit more sheltered, but I've still been banned from going out.:eek:

Your right Mac, stay put, put the kettle and turn up the heating ( thanks to our £200 goverment hand out) and enjoy a cuppa.
I have been trying to thaw out for the last half hour after dressing and drawing 2.5 brace of pheasants after being ordered into the garage to do it.
Out of interest, drawing a pheasant is the best way to get rid of Jehova Witnesses I know. Three came wandering up the drive one Sunday afternoon and did a quick about turn when they were close enought to see me remove the foul smelling guts from a big cock bird, which even I though was a bit high, well they had been hung close on a fortnight in weather far milder than now. One season ends and another begins.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I know what i'll be doing for the rest of the week repairing burst pipes, hope they dont start thawing out today:rolleyes:
Lets hope we have a good winter spawning year. Thanks to all the hard work thats been going on on all the rivers in the district.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Your right Mac, stay put, put the kettle and turn up the heating ( thanks to our £200 goverment hand out) and enjoy a cuppa.
I have been trying to thaw out for the last half hour after dressing and drawing 2.5 brace of pheasants after being ordered into the garage to do it.
Out of interest, drawing a pheasant is the best way to get rid of Jehova Witnesses I know. Three came wandering up the drive one Sunday afternoon and did a quick about turn when they were close enought to see me remove the foul smelling guts from a big cock bird, which even I though was a bit high, well they had been hung close on a fortnight in weather far milder than now. One season ends and another begins.

Just got my hand out so am making sure my office is warm while I'm busy making minnow mounts.:) Blue skies and sunshine here for the time being but it's still -1C. I love pheasant and much prefer it to turkey.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Just got my hand out so am making sure my office is warm while I'm busy making minnow mounts.:) Blue skies and sunshine here for the time being but it's still -1C. I love pheasant and much prefer it to turkey.

Pheasant when it has been hung and then pot roasted takes some beating for a meal. It is so underated and only now is it becoming more popular in the supermarkets, but I think they will have to be freshly killed birds which to my taste is too bland.
I think most of the general pubic would hesitate to even try a bird whch has been well hung. I think about ten days is for me about the best time if the weather is mild, but the one we are having today was shot last Saturday, but with it being so cold this past week it may not be enough. A roasted pheasant with vegetables, a nice sauce, and crispy roast patatoes done it goose fat, accompanied by a full bodied bottle of Shiraz from the vineyards of E. Australia is a fitting meal for any countryman's table.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members and Donations

Dear All

A big thanks to Fred for helping to encourage some extra membership Just wanted to reply to an older post about membership subscription and whether joining now would result in a subs request next year I can confirm that it won't be asked for until 2012 if joining now

Those that did join we'll just be sending out a request as to whether you would be willing to gift aid the monies as it means we can get an extra 28p per pound from gift aid!

Please consider joining the trust as we can use the monies to do immense good for our fish!

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Sunday Dec 5th.

Its another very cold morning, freezing fog overnight which has left the trees, grasses, and hedgrows covered in a heavy white frost. Beautiful to look at if your well wrapped up as I was.
There is hardly any water going over the weir at Waddow as the river is down to only a couple of inches above summer level. Looking upstream its frozen from bank to bank and covered by a overcoat of snow.
Snow leaves tracks and yesterday morning I followed an otter's tracks up the river at Sawley until I came on its kill, a grilse with only the backbone, tail, and peeled back skin left. This was left on the ice which covered the spawning gravel. Had the fish managed to spawn or was it in the final act of its life when it was killed ? we will never know. This may have been the same otter which left its tracks at Waddow during the night but its a good three miles downstream from Sawley, but as they are becoming more widespread it may be another one

mcminnow

Reaction score
Very picturesque................not been up long and it's a lovely sunny day now.:) Only got up to watch the cricket on Sky2.:eek:

Rivers will be very low as the severe frosts will have "locked" the water up in the hills, but interesting to read about the otters.

wilbert

Reaction score
Decided to have a walk down the river myself today and apart from the ice it looked very nice. 1 thing that did strike me though was the number fo Gulls on the river, there must have been 300 of them in 1 pool just above west bradford bridge. No doubt they were feasting on the small fish in the icy margins.

seth

Reaction score
just been on one of the local birding sites,and a chap has counted 50 goosanders on the ribble,down at sunderland hall,thats a lot of fish being eaten there then.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
just been on one of the local birding sites,and a chap has counted 50 goosanders on the ribble,down at sunderland hall,thats a lot of fish being eaten there then.

Hi Keith.
I have Ribble Trust fly for you, I will see you Thursday night and you too Clint.
F.