Ribble 2010

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I suppose its worth a chuck, may have a session this weekend if the weather alright. If knowt else it'll give me a bit of casting practice.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Friday Feb 26th

From the lack of posts over the last few days I take it everybody is still in hiberation? I know I am, well, when it comes to chucking a line I am. I received an interesting phone call the other evening from one of my up river contacts saying he had seen two fresh redds cut this week. This is late for the Ribble, but they are still welcome.
I have just come in from a doggie walk and its horrid, very cold and raining, I did not walk as far as I normally do every afternoon, but just enough to see that the river has come up over the point on the rock at Waddow making it about 2ft 3 running.
At one time this would have had me dashing around sorting my rods out, but not anymore, as I said earlier on another post I will wait until the weather warms up a bit.

This is the time of the year when for most of us our clubs' subs are due. I have paid my reservoir sub this week, but next week its the biggy, nearly £400 and then I will get my subs paid off for both the Ribble Trust £20 and then RFCA £15 both of which represent excellent value for the work they do not only for the river but for us as anglers.
I spoke with the web cam installer this morning as well, and everything is now in place for him to install the two new ones early next month, so hopefully we will have both rivers covered before the main season gets underway. Its good to see that more of you have joined this season, the more that join the more work can be done.

My season really begins this evening as I have received my guest invite to the annual dinner of Settle Anglers, if any of you are there come across and say hello. Its always a brilliant evening amongst very good company and this is my 12th year as a guest so I know a lot of the members of Settle now. The guest speaker this evening is David Riding from Preston who ties flies as well as anybody, I hope his jokes are as good, as it is an all male evening and its never too blue but in the past we have had some good ones. None better than I think four years ago when we had Mike Harding, who is by the way a member of Settle anglers. Mike can tell a good story and had us in stitches as no doubt he will around the bar tonight.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Casting Day

Here is a date for your diary. On Saturday April 3rd at Brungerley Bridge near Clitheroe the two lads from Guide and Vision tackle, John Legg and Jim Fearn are holding a casting day to support our local tackle shop "Outdoor World" here in Clitheroe.
This will be a repeat of what they did last year and it was well attended. Both John and Jim as most of us know are excellent casters, and they are prepared to give up their time to support not only the local shop but us as anglers. We can all learn more even after all the years some of us have been casting a fly, I know I always can.
This is your chance to see how it should be done, try out some nice rods, and get to grips with the many different lines both floating and sinking, even the Skagit if your brave enough.
The day is also being supported by Ribblesadale Angling Asssociation who have agreed to allow the use of their water and also their private car park just over the bridge. The day will begin at about 10 am and go until whenever?

As you are well aware we are in the process of installing two more river cameras which should be up and running in a few weeks time.
What I would like to ask, if there are any anglers out there who have a business and would like to advertise that business on the web cam site. This is a great opportunity and we know that these cameras will receive a massive hit from many local anglers.
We are giving anglers first chance before we approach other local businesses
If any of you are interested please contact me and we can discuss the idea further.
R.R.

carrowmore

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fred . I will try to make the casting day . Really looking forward to fishing the RAA waters this year. Do you know the date for this year's Falkus Evening ?

Karl-K

Reaction score
Brilliant, I was about to splash out on a new rod, things have moved on so much since I last used a double hander, I'll hold fire until after the casting day:)

Grey Duster

Reaction score
Here is a date for your diary. On Saturday April 3rd at Brungerley Bridge near Clitheroe the two lads from Guide and Vision tackle, John Legg and Jim Fearn are holding a casting day to support our local tackle shop "Outdoor World" here in Clitheroe.

R.R.
Brilliant - enjoyed it very much last year and you got there just before I asked! Do you anticipate takes just as well?
GD

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
questions

Fred you have a p.m

Simon.
I will call in the shop to see you probably tomorrow as I'm at the hospital this afternoon. I was going to call this morning but a fishing friend called earlier so it put me back a bit. No not Scott Alex.

Re the Falkus Evening The date is April 15th I will put the details on the Hodder thread laterI have mentioned it in next months T&S report.

Re casting day. It will be as last year and we expect a good turnout as its free and the timing is just right before the new seasons gets going properly.
RR.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Falkus Evening

For those who have enquired about the Falkus evening I have put the details on the Hodder 2010 Thread.
R.R.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi to all
Hope all is well with every one
I had a two hour session on the lower river today the water is very low but cristal clear,I fished a tube for an hour then changed to a red shrimp for the last hour,no interest on either fly.But the sunshine and warm conditions made it worthwhile.
I did'nt see any fish like I did a few weeks ago so be they kelts or springers they were gone,I am tempted to get the single hander out tomorrow and try for some grayling as the conditions are about perfect,I will see how things work out and leave a few lines if anything is doing.
All the best Natt:)

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I fished on the mid ribble on Saturday, my first outing of the season.
Casting practice to be honest, the wind was a really strong at times making things very difficult. The session ending with 3 well mended kelts, my first ever on a d/h rod and all on my own tyed flies, hopefully now ive broke my duck my luck will change.:rolleyes:

SP8

Reaction score
I see from the webcam that there is a nice new marker on the parapet. Can someone remind me, is that the 1 foot mark?

SP8

wilbert

Reaction score
The marker on the concrete wall is set at approx 12". Ribble Rod put this marker up on Tuesday and I re painted the white lines on the rock and with heavy rain forcast for the back end of this week looks like the timing was spot on.

speers

Reaction score
yes it is the 1 foot gauge on the wall,

you can get all the measurments fromif you click on the web cam header at the top of the home page.

SP8

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Well done Wilbert and RR, we shall all be thankful for your efforts this coming season.

SP8

wilbert

Reaction score
Looks like it's not just fishermen using the web cam to get the river height! Had a quick look before and these 2 deer were caught on camera.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Nice to see a little water in the river this morning on the webcam. I had a session on Thursday on the lower river and just on dusk I think a couple of sea trout were showing in the head of the pool I was in. But but that time I was too cold to fish for them.
Has anyone else seen sea trout yet
Natt

speers

Reaction score
Nice to see a little water in the river this morning on the webcam. I had a session on Thursday on the lower river and just on dusk I think a couple of sea trout were showing in the head of the pool I was in. But but that time I was too cold to fish for them.
Has anyone else seen sea trout yet
Natt

Hell Natt,
ive been told some have been caught through winter and one being caught this week on a gold head so i think you are probably correct in seeing these fish.

Skiptonian

Reaction score
I had a walk down to see the Settle Hydro scheme a few days ago. The screw was not turning. The river was average to low.

Two chaps who were working there putting in some "IT" told me that the screw had not turned in days. When I said it was because there was not enough water coming down I was told that there were "some people" coming to "adjust" the level at which the screw turns.

I do hope people from our fraternity who know about these things are watching this lot. They will not want their first years generating figures showing they got their sums wrong.

cheers
Skiptonian

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I had a walk down to see the Settle Hydro scheme a few days ago. The screw was not turning. The river was average to low.

Two chaps who were working there putting in some "IT" told me that the screw had not turned in days. When I said it was because there was not enough water coming down I was told that there were "some people" coming to "adjust" the level at which the screw turns.

I do hope people from our fraternity who know about these things are watching this lot. They will not want their first years generating figures showing they got their sums wrong.

cheers
Skiptonian

Thanks Skip.
It is being very closely monitored by members of Settle Anglers on behalf of the RFCA and every concerned angler on the catchment. The amount of water that turns the screw was agreed when their abstraction licence was granted.Before it is allowed to turn there must be 800 litres /sec going down the fish pass and 100 ltr/sec going over the weir. They did try to have this figure reduced to 600 but the RFCA lodged a very strong opposition to this being allowed, even threatening to take legal action if the licence agreement was broken. Also I believe that some residents living close by have complained that the screw is too noisy in low flows and again in high flows when the screw was been tested.

This hydro was the first in the NW on a migratory fish river, but from what we now know many more sites around the country are being considered, and we can not rely on the E.A to object to them. This is why angling bodies will have to work together more closely if we don't wish to see our rivers ruined not only by hydro schemes but many other problems
R.R.

SP8

Reaction score
Just read the RFCA newsletter. What were all the fish counted going over Winkley counter in January? Late spawning salmon or late spawning brownies? Is there a minimum size on the counter?

SP8

wilbert

Reaction score
I had my first mini session of the season today on the lower river. Popped out for a couple of hrs this afternoon and when it wasn't raining it was quite a pleasant day although the upstream wind was a pain at times. Casting wasn't too bad concidering I have not picked a rod up since Nov. I didn't see any fresh fish or kelts show but did find a large dead hen fish which would have gone 20+ when fresh, lets hope she spawned ok. Just had the 1 pull which was a chub of about 3 to 4 lbs. There was a decent hatch of flies and there was the odd trout turning their attentions to them. Hopefully we will get a good bit of rain to lift the river and get what few fish that will be in the system moving on a bit.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Just read the RFCA newsletter. What were all the fish counted going over Winkley counter in January? Late spawning salmon or late spawning brownies? Is there a minimum size on the counter?

SP8

This winter's fish counts are interesting, especially the one in January for the Hodder. On the afternoon of the 15th when the data was being analysed a large shoal of 193 fish were counted up and through. We can only think these were probably a large shoal of grayling moving up river. Until later in the year when the data is analysed more closely only then will we know the actual length of these fish helping to determine what species.
The only other way of identifying is by the use of an underwater video camera and this is far too expensive. When we subtract this 193 from the month's total of 279 fish counted up we are left with a more realistic figure of 86. These fish are probably late salmon running from last autumn and which the Hodder is well known to have
R.R.