Ribble 2010

SP8

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think if I go it will be more of "a walk with a fishing rod" than fishing but it gets me out of the house.

SP8

natthargreaves

Reaction score
tides

Hi and happy new year to all
I am just back from working abroad so have not posted yet this year.
For the tides I find this link the best www.pol.ac.uk > ntslf > tides > Tidal predictions and check the blackpool tides.You get a nice little graph and tides for the next month.
We are a week into the new season has any one been out yet,I will be having a cast or two next week on the lower beats I hope to report a springer or two but i won,t hold my breath for it.
I need yo pay my subs for the RFCA can somone please pm me the link
(RR)
all the best Natt:p

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
subs

Hi and happy new year to all
I am just back from working abroad so have not posted yet this year.
For the tides I find this link the best www.pol.ac.uk > ntslf > tides > Tidal predictions and check the blackpool tides.You get a nice little graph and tides for the next month.
We are a week into the new season has any one been out yet,I will be having a cast or two next week on the lower beats I hope to report a springer or two but i won,t hold my breath for it.
I need yo pay my subs for the RFCA can somone please pm me the link
(RR)
all the best Natt:p

Hi Natt.

Two ways either go to the web site of RFCA at http://www.ribblefisheriesca.co.uk and follow the link there or go straight to the secretary John Whitham on e-mail
jwwhitham@ntlworld.com

This is also the contact for anybody else wishing to join the consultative to make use of the web cams
RR

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Pollution

Morning All.
Last week we had a bad pollution incident at a farm in Waddington where many gallons of raw slurry had entered the village brook which runs into the Ribble upstream from Brungerley.
The farmer had been filling his slurry spreading tanker when the main valves at the bottom of his slurry holding tank stuck open. They were eventually closed only by using a bucket on the front of his tractor.
How much slurry entered the brook we will never know but it was enought to lift the level in the brook by about three inches. We will only know the possible damage to all the life in this brook later when the RibbleTrust once again begin their monthly kick sampling checks.

I'm telling you all this in the hope that it will remind us all that one of the worst threats our rivers and becks face is from pollution incidents such as this one. It makes not one bit of difference if its an accident as this was, all pollution kills.
We have to keep our eyes open as we travel about and report anything that you think even looks suspicious, ring the E.A. emergency number immediately to report it on 0800 80 70 60 only by us anglers doing this will we ever hope of keeping our rivers clean.
RR

SP8

Reaction score
Well I had my walk with a fishing rod today. Plenty of useful casting practice, a look at a new bit of water and a personal best. Yes folks I can murder chub with a Black&Yellow bottle tube and a salmon rod! This one was at least 5lb and did the usual impression of a sack of spuds! Only other thing I saw was a kelt splashing about and a Buzzard kept me entertained while I had my lunch. Nice to be out though.

SP8

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I've found that Ribble Chub are also partial (in no particular order) to Verminators, Cascades and Allys Shrimps, unfortunately as a first season newbie last yr I didn't find the Salmon likewise!

I'm sure it will come before too long......

wilbert

Reaction score
I've found that Ribble Chub are also partial (in no particular order) to Verminators, Cascades and Allys Shrimps, unfortunately as a first season newbie last yr I didn't find the Salmon likewise!

I'm sure it will come before too long......

They also have a taste for stripped sunray shadows and small hitched tubes.

SP8

Reaction score
If only the salmon were as plentiful and as accomodating! The chub I got on Monday was lying in fairly fast shallow water which quite surprised me as the water temp was 4C. I would have expected them to be in the deep, slow water at this time of year. You learn something every day!

SP8

natthargreaves

Reaction score
They also have a taste for stoats tails, fire tails, temple dog, curries shrimp, coli dog, hairy mary, molly dog (thats one of my own) I find the problem is getting the fly to find the fish. But as the saying goes if the fish wants it it will take it no matter what the fly,so the answer is, time on the water keep at it and you will find a fish that wants that fly.
Not just the new lads had a bad year on the Lady Ribble last year I know alot of very experienced rods blanked for the year for salmon but the sea trout story was different i.e. a 21lb fish and lots in the 2-4 lb range rite through to late season.
hope this year is better for the salmon though and that my 4 for the season is bettered.
all the best Natt ;)

Mr Fishin

Reaction score
I bet they still fight like a sack of spuds!

SP8

I can vouch for that :(
I've had some huge Chubb of the lower beats but it does get the heart racing for a couple of seconds :)

I managed to get into 3 salmon last season, although I did only fish the Ribble about 5 or 6 times.:cool:
I'm usually on the Lune.:eek:

jonothan

Reaction score
Ribble Fishing

Looking forward to my first season on ribble club water, conversion rate is far higher than my usual river Welsh Dee so optamistic for the season ahead.

Jono

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
sawley

I can agree with that. We used to have the bank opposite the Spread Eagle hotel, which YF now have. I well remember one Autumn Sunday mornng I landed two big fish in the run outside the hotel (Trueman's Hole) 16 and 18 lbs. You will enjoy their nice fly pools. One tip, where you park at the bottom of the old brow,just upstream a pipe sticks out from the bank on the left hand bank
when the water is on the top of this pipe it is recognised to be the perfect height for this beat. One further tip, as you have a distance to travel , when the water is at the height mentioned look at the web cam at Waddow and take a mark there for future reference.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Waddow

The password to open the camera image at Waddow has now been changed for this season.
If you are a member of Ribblesdale A.A. please do nothing I have a spring newsletter going out shortly which will explain everything.
This password will also be the one we use to access other cameras if they are installed later, by the end of March we hope.

Any other anglers who have not yet joined the Ribble Fisheries Consultative and wish to do so contact the secretary by e-mail at John Whitham
E-mail Address(es):
jwwhitham@ntlworld.com
Those members who have already paid their subs for this year also contact the secretary and the NEW password will be provided.
R.R.

Last edited:

natthargreaves

Reaction score
casting practice

Hi All
I had a couple of hours casting practice on the lower river this afternoon the water was running coulored and at about 10-12 inches.After half an hour I put a fly on and moved a fish from its lie coulden't say if it was a kelt or springer.But after a short time I did see a fish splashing around in an upstream direction.The water is very cold as to be expected but the sight of that fish kept me interested until I was forsed off the watewr by the cold.Has any one els seen any fish moveing at this early stage of the season.
Rges Natt

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Hi Nat
Do springer get caught on the ribble this early in the season ?

Ive just sent my subs in for the R.F.C.A

Tight lines to all for 2010;)

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi Nat
Do springer get caught on the ribble this early in the season ?

Ive just sent my subs in for the R.F.C.A

Tight lines to all for 2010;)
Hi Lancsflyman
Yes the odd springer is cought on the Ribble I heard of a few last year and they are usually larger fish but few and far between.I think it is mainly on the lower beats that they are cought.But there will be a few Kelts about
Regs Natt

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble Springers

Lets look at the river and its runs of spring fish in a realistic way. The Ribble does not have a recognised run of springers, just the odd fish, and these are as rare as hens' teeth until we get well into May.

That out of the way, we have to look at other factors, as every season is different, all down to weather conditions which dictates our fishing.

This winter has been very cold and the odd fish which comes in off a tide will not be too keen to run far in the low teperatures of the river. We are still in winter as February has always been. The river this morning is running at 1ft 3 and if it was about six weeeks later and we had warmer conditions and some good lifts of water I would be chancing a cast, or at least taking my rod for a walk in the Clitheroe area until then any chance will be in the deep holding pools from Mid Ribble down.

One other factor to think about, springers very seldom show on the Ribble, you will only know one is in the pool if it takes.Many well mended and silvery kelts were taken in the past by anglers before the June 16th byelaw was brought in who mistook them for springers which were dropping back. if you see a fish splashing about and showing its a kelt.

I hope these observations gained over many years fishing the Ribble will be of help to any new anglers coming into salmon fishing. if you want to catch a true springer try the Eden as they have a better spring run.
R.R.

Last edited: