Ribble 2009

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
The E.A. have just passed me December's fish count through Waddow. Only 36 fish went up which brings the year's total to 5460.

This figure may be trimmed slightly later when the final figures are re-checked. It's still an excellent figure, and the spawning seems to have also been good.
R.R.

Springer

Reaction score
Before this thread really gets going I would just like to thank you Ribble Rod for the sterling work you put into bringing our members information on the river Ribble. Your 2008 reporting was excellent and Im sure 2009 will be the same.

Once again, many thanks :cool:

rodi

Reaction score
Springer--Ribble Rod

I will second the acolade to Ribble Rod, his information to all Ribble and Hodder anglers is much appreciated i am sure.Looking forward to new seasons reports.

All fhe Best for 2009

Rodi

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Before this thread really gets going I would just like to thank you Ribble Rod for the sterling work you put into bringing our members information on the river Ribble. Your 2008 reporting was excellent and Im sure 2009 will be the same.

Once again, many thanks :cool:

Here here, and many a wasted trip saved!:cool:

Great news on the stats RR

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi chaps, from a cold and blustery Clitheroe. Thanks for your kind messages, much appreciated.
Not much game fishing going on at the moment but a friend of ours landed a massive Ribble pike of 34lbs two weeks ago and I'm told it will be featured in Angling Times. This came from one of the big deep pools on Big Ribble and I'm reliably informed there are other pike down there equally as big?
If any of you are interested the river is running at about 2ft 6 this morning and coloured. We are still very optimistic that come spring we will have a camera set up at Waddow to show the height and condition during daylight hours.
We are busy working on the format for the Hodder Consultatives Falkus evening on the 16th of April, again at the Airospace club at Samlesbury. It was good last year and I'm certain this year will be as good if not better. I will let you all have the full details nearer the time
R.R.

montana

Reaction score
hi . im new to the forums and just got into fly fishing. ive fished a few ressies for trout and doing good so far and ive been on the ribble a couple of times just up past the motorway bridge where you go through a corn field with ticket from the garage . its nice and still water there when low and under the bridge at the tickle trout with no luck. im led to believe the stretch from the tickled trout bridge to the shaws arm is free on the golf course side and would like to know if there is good chance or any chance on that matter of catching a salmon just bellow the bridge. as i say only got into fly fishing a couple of months back and loving it but would just like to catch a salmom just one would do
thanks

Reaction score
Ribble Catchment Conservation Trust

Hi All,

The new year has started with much hope for a huge amount of work, over a dozen proposals and bids have gone into the various bodies for different conservation schemes, from riparian habitat, to off stream channels and fish passes. It should be a really good year

If you would like to keep up with what the trust does and more specifically what the I do (the fisheries scientist) please visit my blog.

www.ribbletrust.blogspot.com

Tight lines for the coming year

Cheers

Jack Spees

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Monday Jan 26th

The salmon season proper is a long way off yet, but on a morning like today, mild with the sun shining it does not feel to be.
As I stood on Waddow top the river is holding at a perfect fly height of 1ft 9 and running very clean. Looking downstream through the lovely fly water to Low Moor, how I wished to be casting a fly across these lovely runs on such a morning.
It may still be winter but on mornings like these nature seems to stir. A Robin singing out its territory, and across on Waddow a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker hammering a tree trunk, then the splash of a kelt on Waddow top disturbing the river's still surface. A good day to be out.
R.R.

Downtut Backin

Reaction score
The salmon season proper is a long way off yet, but on a morning like today, mild with the sun shining it does not feel to be.
As I stood on Waddow top the river is holding at a perfect fly height of 1ft 9 and running very clean. Looking downstream through the lovely fly water to Low Moor, how I wished to be casting a fly across these lovely runs on such a morning.
It may still be winter but on mornings like these nature seems to stir. A Robin singing out its territory, and across on Waddow a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker hammering a tree trunk, then the splash of a kelt on Waddow top disturbing the river's still surface. A good day to be out.
R.R.

Cheers for that RR
Its a bit like pouring a pint of frothy foaming ale when I'm really thirsty and saying sorry pal but you can't drink that!!!!
I join all the other Ribble anglers in thanking you for your reports,,, keep up the good work

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Tuesday Jan 27th

For any of you who are thinking of going out today grayling fishing the river is running clean at about 1ft 5.
It has fallen by about 4 inches from the report I wrote yesterday ( I put it on the Rbble News Thread instead of this one by mistake)
As yesterday it is a mildish morning and very still. Looking to the East the sun is trying to poke through the clouds
RR.

edenangler

Reaction score
RR

Have you had any grayling reports lately? I may well venture out on Thursday (weather permitting), but it will be my first since 19-12-08 when I struggled to find fish and formed the impression they had started to shoal tightly on the flats.
That said, both sessions i had in February last year resulted in fish being caught to dries when modest hatches of LDO's occured.....

M

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
grayling

Interesting this as I have received a phone call just this evening from a river keeper mentioning that a few good grayling anglers are fishing but not catching.He also is concerned
This is also occuring on good grayling waters on the beats above and is supported by the river keeper there.
This report comes from the Middle beats. Earlier, before the New Year I had a similar report from further up the river that this was again the case. I did suggest that if the river remains low I would contact the E.A. pollution team to have a look, but listening to the forecast a lot of rain is coming our way.
It is something we shoud keep an eye on though
R.R.

edenangler

Reaction score
RR

From what I saw last season. I'm not concerned about the stocks of grayling on our water - I probably had a roughly 50-50 ratio of trout to grayling last season, with a couple over 2lb. They did seem to recover from spawning rather late though, I was still catching tired, scarred fish well into July.

Our club keeper concurs - they have been slow to show this winter. Could we be spoiled by recent mild winters when the fish have remained a bit more openly distributed? I fished the Middle Ure on new years day recently and couldn't find a fish if my life depended on it...but that was following nearly two weeks of very cold, dry weather. If you consider that you could fit a dozen tightly shoaled grayling on a bin lid, then it doesn't take much imagination to accept that if the fish choose to move into slow, deep water which isn't really condusive to searching fly methods, then to all intents and purposes, they've as good as disappeared.

Sorry, I know this is a salmon forum - I didn't intend to hijack the thread:eek:

Matt

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
ban on sale of salmon & sea trout

I have just received an e-mail from the North West Fisheries Consultative giving the following news which most conservation minded angler will welcome
R.R.

Anglers will no longer be able to sell salmon or sea trout caught on rod and line, and all commercially caught fish will have to be tagged by netsmen to make them legally saleable. The new Environment Agency byelaw for England and Wales becomes active on January 31st.

This legislation brings England and Wales in line with Scottish law, which banned the sale of rod caught salmon and sea trout in 2007. However, the carcass tagging of commercially caught fish is a step further than Scotland, and mirrors the successful initiative run for several years in Ireland.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Rod & Line testing open day

A DATE FOR YOUR DIARIES SATURDAY MARCH 7TH.

From general chat on these forums has developed an idea for Ribble anglers to try out some rods and lines before the season gets underway.
From a chat with Jim Fearn (local casting instructor) we have come up with this idea. Jim and John Legg (Guide Tackle) have agreed to demonstrate their Vision rods and a selection of their lines including Rio shooting heads, Skagit lines, and also Spey lines in both long bellied and short. Both John and Jim are AAPGAI qualiffied casting instructors and are also willing to pass along casting tips as well as demonstrating some great rods and lines.
This will run from about 11am to 3pm and will be held on the Ribble at Brungerley nr Clitheroe ( thanks to Ribblesdale Angling Association) RAA will also make available their own private car park by the bridge. It will be advisable to bring along a pair of wellies if not waders. This is your chance to match up your own rods with suitable lines. It's not only rods that are important but lines equally so, not many places or manufacturers offer this chance. We are fortunate that we have two local instructors who are willing to offer this service at no charge.

We only hope now that the river is not a roaring torrent, if so we will use the field.
R.R.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Hi
I’ve just joined this forum after being on the trout fly forum for about a year. First up I’ve been following your posts ‘Ribble Rod’ and want to add my thanks to your excellent dedication and detailed Ribble reports. Your experience has helped no end in the “when to fish” decision.

I’ve now bought a Salmon Rod (reel & line to come, see post: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7458 ).

The Brungerley session sounds v interesting; I’ve certainly got a lot to learn!

As I’ve posted on the other thread – any advice is more than welcome.

Dave.

My intro post: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7456

Last edited:

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Sounds a great idea RR and I will be home that weekend so will be there is the brungley beat the one at cromwells bridge or edisford

wilbert

Reaction score
natt in answer to your question Brungerly Bridge is upstream of Edisford Bridge and crosses the Ribble just above the weir at Waddow on the road to Waddington. The RAA club car park is situated 50 yds after the bridge on the Waddington side (Yorkshire side for those with long memories).

Last edited:

natthargreaves

Reaction score
cheers Wilbert
know the beat well but its not often I get that high up the river most of my fishing on the ribble is below hodder foot
see you there Natt

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble news

Hi Everybody.
This morning ( Friday 13th ) the river is low at about 6 inches here at Clitheroe but running very clean. Many kelts about well mended. Nothing reported through Waddow counter yet, so no fresh fish above here, and I would think not many in the river at all. We have had a fairly dry winter with no big floods to bring them in. We have to remember that the Ribble is not now recognised as a spring fish river.
Two weeks ago two anglers were seen coming off the river at Lower Hodder carrying a salmon. These two, if they killed this fish are in breach of two byelaws ie, killing an unclean fish( kelt) and killing a salmon before June 16th.

We should know this coming week after the Ribble Fisheries Council meeting on Tuesday if the money for the web cam will be agreed. Its taken a bit longer with having to wait for the three quotes I needed, I have them now for this meeting. We are also working on how to set it up on a web site, probably the RFC own site which at the moment is being up graded to accommodate more information for its members. I would urge you all to seriously think about joining RFC as it will be well worth your £15 per year to support all its valuable work which helps us all, and the subs are due now.

We have just this week completed the final details for the Falkus Evening on the 16th April . This is a very popular evening and raises much needed funds for the Hodder propogation fund. I have completed the poster for this event which will now be sent out to all club secretaries and fishing tackle shops. I will also try to put it on this Forum later, or ask Wilbert to do it, he is better at these things than me.As the venus is limited to 200 it will be advisable to book your tickets early. It will be a cracking evening with Phil Cool very generously giving up an evening to provide the entertainment and also David Riding will be talking about Hugh Falkus sea trout and salmon flies. Keep your eyes open for the poster later.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
coarse fishing

Its too early yet for game fishing, the trout season does not begin until March 15th. and the sea trout in April.Although the salmon season began on Feb 1st there are no reports of fresh salmon in the river yet, too early and no big floods to bring the odd fish in from the sea or estuary. We are still in the coarse fishing season so my advice for any access would be to try some of the coarse fishing clubs' web sites or forums for the Ribble in the lower reaches around the Preston area.
Hope this helps.
R.R.

alan1572

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, so would i be ok to pay and practice my casting?, the bit by the motorway is handy for me, i have had 2 hours of lessons but need to have ago with my own gear.