Rhayader and Builth Anywhere to Try

TheSaintlyOne

Reaction score
So will be staying in Rhayader from Sunday 12th well will be arriving early sunday morning and fishing the Wye as I am member there and thought I would take the opportunity to practive salmon casting on an actual river having tried it out with some limited success on a local grassy area. Ill be Taking both trout and salmon gear.

Question is Ive noticed that the local club in Builth has Salmon fishing from £22 a day or 3 days for just £35

So will the salmon run up as far as Rhayader or am I better off trying my hand at Builth and leaving Rhayader for a spot of Trout fishing.

If in Builth are there any pools listed on the club map worth giving a try.

Im not expecting to catch any salmon but giving myself the best chance will be nice regardless

Regards Duncan

SnapT14

Reaction score
So will be staying in Rhayader from Sunday 12th well will be arriving early sunday morning and fishing the Wye as I am member there and thought I would take the opportunity to practive salmon casting on an actual river having tried it out with some limited success on a local grassy area. Ill be Taking both trout and salmon gear.

Question is Ive noticed that the local club in Builth has Salmon fishing from £22 a day or 3 days for just £35

So will the salmon run up as far as Rhayader or am I better off trying my hand at Builth and leaving Rhayader for a spot of Trout fishing.

If in Builth are there any pools listed on the club map worth giving a try.

Im not expecting to catch any salmon but giving myself the best chance will be nice regardless

Regards Duncan
If you are lucky to get a bit of water, Builth and above has sone lovely fly water and years ago, springers would be caught there regularly.

Obviously the river isn't a patch on its former self but fish are always there throughout the year, especially back end.

Best go and have a look at the water and see what you think but pools are not in short supply. Also if the salmon are rubbish, there is a hood head of trout and grayling there too

Good luck

TheSaintlyOne

Reaction score
Thanks Ive already enquired and a three day visitor ticket is £35 but as its my first time out with the Salmon Rod Ill be glad just to be on Water that holds salmon. In taking both trout and salmon kit so expect fish. I have had alot of trout just below and above Rhayader but its the salmon chance im really going for

Regards

SnapT14

Reaction score
Thanks Ive already enquired and a three day visitor ticket is £35 but as its my first time out with the Salmon Rod Ill be glad just to be on Water that holds salmon. In taking both trout and salmon kit so expect fish. I have had alot of trout just below and above Rhayader but its the salmon chance im really going for

Regards
Pray for some nice water and you may just get lucky.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
The 'Fly Run' a mile or so below the bridge at Builth can be very good for salmon given water. A good level would be anything 1 foot and above showing on the gauge at Llanstephan. The fish lie very close to the left bank looking downstream, so don't wade too far into the river. Some rain forecast tomorrow, so you could be in with a shout. Good luck.
Here's the link to the webcam to check the level
Wye Llanstephan Webcam | The Fishing Passport

uplands50

Reaction score
The 'Fly Run' a mile or so below the bridge at Builth can be very good for salmon given water. A good level would be anything 1 foot and above showing on the gauge at Llanstephan. The fish lie very close to the left bank looking downstream, so don't wade too far into the river. Some rain forecast tomorrow, so you could be in with a shout. Good luck.
Here's the link to the webcam to check the level
Wye Llanstephan Webcam | The Fishing Passport
You will not get any better advice than this, but the river is on its bones at the moment