Restoration project

Elibank

Reaction score
A big ask on a very rare book, but I’m going to have a go.

DD086F5C-E56E-4E0C-8749-D3EA1487C000.jpeg
7F9962B0-EE90-4FDE-A085-5E6B2C4DDBCC.png

Andrew B

Reaction score
Can’t say I know that one but as with all those 19century books they are works of art

Elibank

Reaction score
Briefly, the story - the1875 “first edition” consisted of only 12 copies, but was stopped because Aldam’s eyesight was failing. He then sourced the fly tying with the best tyers of the time, notably Mary of Ogden Smith fame. He then published the 1876 edition of 200 with the original 12, making no notes about the two dates. I believe that the original manuscript was sold at auction for a small fortune. I was lucky enough to find the first edition in a sale, and my wife has just bought me the “second edition” for Christmas!

It’s what collectors dream about, and I’m a very lucky man

Andrew B

Reaction score
Briefly, the story - the1875 “first edition” consisted of only 12 copies, but was stopped because Aldam’s eyesight was failing. He then sourced the fly tying with the best tyers of the time, notably Mary of Ogden Smith fame. He then published the 1876 edition of 200 with the original 12, making no notes about the two dates. I believe that the original manuscript was sold at auction for a small fortune. I was lucky enough to find the first edition in a sale, and my wife has just bought me the “second edition” for Christmas!

It’s what collectors dream about, and I’m a very lucky man
Oh well done sir. Great find and for me the research is what it’s all about.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
That's grand for you, Merry Christmas!
But the title is 'Restoration project' - in what way does it need restoration and will you do it yourself?

Elibank

Reaction score
That's grand for you, Merry Christmas!
But the title is 'Restoration project' - in what way does it need restoration and will you do it yourself?
….the spine on the 1876 edition is split at the bottom, and I will get John Laybourn to repair it - he rebinds and repairs all my books now, he’s a perfectionist and absolutely faultless. Another problem with books like this is that the display pages are relatively heavy and sometimes suffer from clumsy handling, so he’ll check the binding throughout.
As regards the flies (the image above shows two mayflies, Grey Drake and Green Drake), I’ll have to admit that my tying of trout flies will be nowhere good enough for a book of this type. There are, however, dealers and tyers who can supply flies from that era, and I think that this will be the way forward.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Bonhams do a yearly sale of sporting/angling books if I’m not mistaken.
For all of the prestige attached the name I’ve had some good deals from Bonhams in their sporting sales and taxidermy lots. Seem to remember the commission being pretty high though?