Replacing Mepps trebles with singles

kendalgreen

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to replace the outrageously oversized trebles on my Mepps Aglia spinners sizes 3, 4 and 5, with VMC 72390 single barbless hooks attached to the spinner by a split ring. Can anybody with any experience of these hooks advise on what sizes balance up those respective spinner sizes? - or alternative other make options / sizes which work well with those Mepps sizes?

Thanks

Handel

Reaction score
I have done it with Partridge in line barbless size 4 and 6. I can't say I am happy with the outcome simply because the split ring makes the whole thing too floppy. Opportunity here for someone to manufacture them properly just as has happened with flying cs.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Just use a length of shrink tube or Gemini neoprene rig tube to stiffen up the split ring connection. I use the Mustad Kaiju replacement singles
The mustad kaiju are a great hook but it can be daunting rooting about in the lure box as they are stupidly sharp

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
I use the 5 or 6mm rings, sometimes two together if I need a bit of extra length for the hook to look right. Only downside is that they can be a bit fiddly to open and slide in the hook eye. Too large a split ring can look a little awkward as it bulges the rubber above the hook eye.

Last edited:

Handel

Reaction score
What split rings do people use as all of mine look quite big and unbalanced?
I guess this is part of the issue I have with them though I am going to try liphook's suggestion. The real solution is for Lyn Cobley to start making these as well as his FCs.

squimp

Reaction score
There are various clips available for coarse fishing that would do the job.

Gardner ‘Q’ clips are split rings with a small tag - so they are easy to open.

Korda ‘Kwik’ clips are Oblong and very easy to use.they are available in several sizes. I use them to attach hooks to intruders and they are brilliant.

liphook

Reaction score
Also have look at the Breakaway spin clips - very useful (and strong) for this purpose and as an easy quick change clip on the tip of any line/ leader

Rrrr

Reaction score
May be worth looking at the "mepps" sold by decathlon. They are all i use now due to being cheaper and having the same vmc hooks. The new ones have a system where you slide the brass weight up and can unclip the trebble and put a single on with no splitrings needed.
Ill see if ive got any in the car to take a pic of tomorrow, if not ill get a pic at the weekend when the fishing gears out.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk