Repairing integrated running line

• Thread starter Deleted member 19029
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19029

I’m sure this has probably been covered before but I have about a 1m section of my barrio switch running line which is knackered. Is there any way of cutting this out and connecting the running line back together before I start looking for a new fly line, looks like the barrio switch’s are hard to get hold of at the moment, cheers

lefthandup

Reaction score
I’m sure this has probably been covered before but I have about a 1m section of my barrio switch running line which is knackered. Is there any way of cutting this out and connecting the running line back together before I start looking for a new fly line, looks like the barrio switch’s are hard to get hold of at the moment, cheers
Same happened to my Rio single Spey line and at over £90 a pop wasn't prepared to buy another after only 2 years of use.

I cut mine back about 2 feet , formed a loop ,turned the running line round and done a loop to loop connection...works the same as any shooting head and once you get used to the loops through the rod eyes...works the same for me.

£90 in the pocket.

Rrrr

Reaction score
What about braided tubing and either fit as you would a braided loop and use the sleeve or whip it at both ends.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

tony considine

Reaction score
Cut and remove coating for about 1in from each end. Tie an overhand knot about 1/4 in from each end.
Lay the two cut pieces side by side, with about 3/4 in between the knots
Coat with Aquasure and whip using a weighted bobbin
When partly dry, roll on a smooth surface like a table. (back of a tv remote does the job)
Roll carefully to produce a round smooth joint. Allow to cure.

wilbert

Reaction score
If the head is still ok? just cut the running line off and use a dedicated running line that you can attach any shooting head to with a loop to loop. Running lines can be as cheap or expensive as you want. a 100m spool of Amnesia will cost about £8 and will make 3 or 4 running lines. Rio gripshooter is good as is the Monic gelspun stuff but its harder to find.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Cut and remove coating for about 1in from each end. Tie an overhand knot about 1/4 in from each end.
When partly dry, roll on a smooth surface like a table. (back of a tv remote does the job)
I find aquasure grips and eventually peels off when hitting rod rings.
I like the idea though.

Coneheads

Reaction score
Remove the coating using the wifes nail varnish remover,
I do the same as above but no aquasure at first , but when plicing after first whipping apply a coat of varnish, then take each braid back to where it came from, and whip over each of them , then whip the whole joint, then whip finish , finish off with an even coat of aquasure . Bomb proof (y)
I would never trust braid tubing or 1 splice , Because when you get snagged up or fishing up in the trees for monkees and if heavy tubes on the menu , using 15/20 lb leaders , :unsure: which would give first ?

lefthandup

Reaction score
I do the same as above but no aquasure at first , but when plicing after first whipping apply a coat of varnish, then take each braid back to where it came from, and whip over each of them , then whip the whole joint, then whip finish , finish off with an even coat of aquasure . Bomb proof (y)
I would never trust braid tubing or 1 splice , Because when you get snagged up or fishing up in the trees for monkees and if heavy tubes on the menu , using 15/20 lb leaders , :unsure: which would give first ?
Any chance of a diagram or step by step for this method?

I like the idea but would like the detail ?

Coneheads

Reaction score
I find aquasure grips and eventually peels off when hitting rod rings.
I like the idea though.
Aquasure ? should with a only hit your rod rings when reeling in or playing a fish ? or you are fishing a narrow river or neck of a pool, yes it may eventually will need re coating ? I apply aquasure using a dubbing needle pressing hard on the threaded spliced joint,

lefthandup

Reaction score
Aquasure ? should with a only hit your rod rings when reeling in or playing a fish ? or you are fishing a narrow river or neck of a pool, yes it may eventually will need re coating ? I apply aquasure using a dubbing needle pressing hard on the threaded spliced joint,
Would connection using an Albright knot on the braids not be just as good but without all the faff using nail varnish and aquasure ?

Last edited:

Coneheads

Reaction score
I splice my floating lines with versi type leaders , I hate loops rattling through rod rings and the same when they stick in the end eye of my rod, and integrated lines

Coneheads

Reaction score
Would connection using an Albright know on the braids not be just as good but without all the faff using nail varnish and aquasure ?
Never done an Albright knot as yet ?

10 mins ends in nail varnish remover
8/10 mins to splice a line
aquasure I leave overnight

lefthandup

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and splice mine, but will have to find a needle with a hole at the point...any ideas?

Rrrr

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and splice mine, but will have to find a needle with a hole at the point...any ideas?
Carp fishing baiting needles may work. They have a hook on the end for hair rigging baits.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 19029

This sounds ideal as I don’t like loops clanking through the rings and I don’t think I would trust braided tubing either. I wonder if there are any clips on YouTube or diagrams to make it easier for us first timers attempting these. I’ll give this a go, cheers

lefthandup

Reaction score
This sounds ideal as I don’t like loops clanking through the rings and I don’t think I would trust braided tubing either. I wonder if there are any clips on YouTube or diagrams to make it easier for us first timers attempting these. I’ll give this a go, cheers