Removing Zpey handle

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Guys,
Anybody know how to cleanly remove the bent handle from a Zpey Infinity (and replace it with a straight handle)?
I should explain that thanks to Zpey I have two butt section for the Infinity; one being the original simple bent handle and the second being a Mark 2 with the Signature style handle.
I'm wouldn't indulge but for the fact that I have in effect a surplus butt section
That said, I quite like the Signature style handle (I have it also as an option on a Skyborn and use it regularly) but I would like the option of the straight handle as with the Skyborn.
The handle seems to be inserted up into the reel mount and there are what looks like two dense rubber spacing washers between the two sections.
I wonder if it's put together with some sort of epoxy glue?
From what I have found on-line, epoxy can be softened with heat and as least one poster suggests immersing the section in water at 70 degree centigrade for 20 minutes. Another suggests an heat gun but I would be concerned that the finish would be damaged.
Apart from the usual "don't do it", has anybody know how it might be done?
H:D

duncan

Reaction score
The collar on mine unscrews allowing you to pull off the handle against the friction of the o rings

Hibernicus

Reaction score
The collar on mine unscrews allowing you to pull off the handle against the friction of the o rings

Thanks for that.
I don't think Zpey made a straight handle option but I wonder then if you know by chance, whether a Salmologic straight handle fits you rod?
H

Last edited:

speers

Reaction score
zpey did make a straight handle, as a option to the bent, i would get hold of zpey direct and talk to them.

Snakeroll

Reaction score
I had the bent handle on my Zpey instinct cut off and replaced it with a straight one Classic straight handle - Large - Salmologic ApS
Just having a new striper ring being done on it. I will send some photos when I get it back. Obviously there are other sources and cheaper options for for butt handles out there.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I had the bent handle on my Zpey instinct cut off and replaced it with a straight one Classic straight handle - Large - Salmologic ApS
Just having a new striper ring being done on it. I will send some photos when I get it back. Obviously there are other sources and cheaper options for for butt handles out there.

Thanks, I would like to see the finished job.
It might seems a bit drastic to have to cut off the bent handle but then I'm not going to re-use it.:)
H

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd just like to see a picture of the "bent handle".

Never have seen one and quite right the Attached Image is not available.....

Hibernicus

Reaction score
View attachment 42901

Well, as you can see I have taken the plunge!
So now what?
The bend handle or at least its skeleton, is steel and is painted black, whereas the reel mount is blue (aluminum I expect), all of which means the handle is fixed into the reel mount rather than manufactured in one piece.
I had hoped to insert a replacement straight handle up into the reel mount but the existing looks very strong and I'm thinking I'll work with it.
It shouldn't be difficult to cut off the bent section leaving the straight section and then cut a thread into it?
Maybe if I can then add a straight bar and have a lower handle built on it?
Any suggestions?
H

Or would be be easier to cut and weld, using the existing steel?

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, never seen one before.

I can't see your attached Image on your post so can't offer any thoughts on the problem.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Original.jpgStripped handle.jpg

Rather bigger photos than I had hoped but at least they are showing!
H

Last edited:

Bonito

Reaction score
Looking at that picture should really be no more complicated than fitting a new rear grip or extension. Can only assume the bent metal section is hollow, obviously you can check from the bottom. If so chop it at some point on the straight section immediately below the reel seat. A new section of blank, alloy whatever you have (blank best) can then be inserted and glued with the new cork already fitted. If on the other hand you want it removeable then cut as above, section of metal and tap and die. If you cut as above then check with a screwdriver or whatever how much can be inserted inside the existing straight bit and up inside the reel seat. You could well find a blockage not that far in which I would hazard a guess(educated one) will be adhesive from the factory fitting. It will not be that thick and easily drilled out.

On the off chance there may not be a large internal bore you could always think of slipping something over the straight bit when chopped. I know more about the dark side of the moon than I do about welding but I`d guess the heat could well transfer inside the reel seat and possibly damage the blank.

Have fun whatever you decide to do

Last edited:

Orca

Reaction score
View attachment 42909View attachment 42910

Rather bigger photos than I had hoped but at least they are showing!
H

It would be very easy if you or a friend would have a 6 inch vice, put the offset handle into the vice and straighten it, cut it back to size you want and fit your corks then shape, easier said then done but it’s an option
If you are living in Ireland send it onto me and I would be able to sort it out for you, send me on a pm if your interested

Last edited:

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Martin,
That's a very kind offer but I'm committed elsewhere.
Having seen the quality of the special CND rods you build for the Golden Gate Spey O Rama (and even cast one at your invitation), I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to contact you first!
Best of luck again at the Golden Gate this year, if it's not cancelled that is.
H

Orca

Reaction score
No bother ?
San Francisco’s Spey O Rama has been cancelled, pressure off for now, I can do more fishing and less casting for this year, tight lines and let us know how your handle turns out

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Job done and I'm looking forward to putting it all together - Corona permitting.
The handle was expertly built by Brian Healy locally, but he's not happy with the quality of the reconstituted cork and is looking for a better product to replace it with.
I might look for a slightly fatter handle next time.
However, should it come to it I'm more than happy with it as it is.
Thanks Brian.
H

IMG_20200323_145838.jpg

Last edited:

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Here's the final result and I couldn't be more happy with it.
It transpired that the shape of the first effort was dictated by the poor quality of the reconstituted cork, which crumbled away as it was being shaped.
In any case, having seen and admired the handles on Ross James web site (RJC Fly Rods | Home) and I took the opportunity to copy his style.
Thanks to Ross's kind assistance we are able to secure the necessary cork composite pieces.
The handle might appear a touch long but then it's a down-locking reel mount, unlike the Loop Opti as shown in photo 3 below.
H

IMG_20200506_201935.jpg
IMG_20200506_201844.jpg
IMG_20200506_180254.jpg