Remember when I said they would come after you???

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Very true Simon. Anyone who thinks that these “extremists” view angling any differently to any other field sports is living in cloud cuckoo land. I read recently that Packham was trying to raise money by crowd funding for research into whether fish feel pain. Pretty obvious what the real purpose of that research would be.

Walleye

Reaction score
Hardly the stuff of Nostradamus....I remember trout fishing during a demonstration in the early 90's, nearly 30 years ago. All ex-CND crowd with nowt much to do after the changes in the late '80's. Global warming has kept them busy for a while.

Loxie

Reaction score
Hardly the stuff of Nostradamus....I remember trout fishing during a demonstration in the early 90's, nearly 30 years ago. All ex-CND crowd with nowt much to do after the changes in the late '80's. Global warming has kept them busy for a while.
true but we f if look at all the people on here and elsewhere who have preached distancing ourselves from all other fieldsports so we would be safe you'd be amazed. If we don't stand together we will fall apart.

Walleye

Reaction score
true but we f if look at all the people on here and elsewhere who have preached distancing ourselves from all other fieldsports so we would be safe you'd be amazed. If we don't stand together we will fall apart.
I don't remember preaching distancing, or anyone else for that matter but maybe it was before my time on here.

KILDONAN

Reaction score
Some of these animal extremist are truly strange. They say they love living things and animals and would happily kill you to prove it. Many cannot connect with other people. Just watch "Tiger King" for the other end of their spectrum.

LouisCha

Reaction score
.......not helped by some pro angling groups banging on about aquaculture being cruel to fish. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot.
_106986618_farmedsalmonwithlice1.jpg

Aquaculture is cruel to fish, orders of magnitude greater in scale and severity than angling and we should be able to separate the two without shooting ourselves in the foot.

Cows could not be kept in the conditions of some salmon farms without massive backlash, cruelty is an emotive argument and could get public support for aquaculture reform. Politicians are not going to do anything about it until they get a big kick up the a*se! We can separate the culture and heritage of salmon fishing from industrial fish farms, particularly as many people see fly fishing as tweedy old gents standing in river wiggling a DH rod around!

That said, the vandalism is disgusting, there will always be extremists, hope they get prosecuted (n)

(photo from a BBC report, loch Roag farm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48266480)

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Its certainly no Banksy, I wonder how many times they had to use a spell checker???? Just round them up in a field and nuke them!!!
peter

ArchieL

Reaction score
100% IMO opinion the field sports should stick together , maybe i am biased because i also really enjoy spectating on shoots and i am looking into a days stag shooting for my birthday.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
Some of these animal extremist are truly strange. They say they love living things and animals and would happily kill you to prove it. Many cannot connect with other people. Just watch "Tiger King" for the other end of their spectrum.
Isn't it strange that these animal extremists don't confront groups of hells angels for wearing leathers instead of plastics.

Reaction score
Maybe it will be the other field sports that drag angling down with them. I think angling has a better chance on its own. Moorland land management for shooting purposes is probably the thing that most puts UK salmon at risk.

KILDONAN

Reaction score
"Hook Your Own Fu@&ing Mouth"

I actually once did, and the fish didnt show me any compassion. Fairs fair.
Brilliant Cyclops- bet that hurt! I've hooked my hand twice and was hell to get out.
I've since often wondered how the heck sea-trout get of a bunch of ironmomgery so easily.

Loxie

Reaction score
Maybe it will be the other field sports that drag angling down with them. I think angling has a better chance on its own. Moorland land management for shooting purposes is probably the thing that most puts UK salmon at risk.
moorland management for shooting is a massive benefit environmentally, economically and socially and absolutely does not put salmon at risk in any way.

of course that isn't the point. The people who are a threat to angling see it no differently to bear baiting and they generally have no real love for wildlife but are motivated by a hatred for people. There is nothing rational about them.

midgydug

Reaction score
I wonder how happy these people actually are for doing things like this. Is it a massive victory/ achievement
for the ALF. ? Its a pity you can't put on media to name and shame but that's what they want, more publicity.
It Is just sheer defacing vandalism which unfortunately will go unpunished.

Walleye

Reaction score
moorland management for shooting is a massive benefit environmentally, economically and socially and absolutely does not put salmon at risk in any way.

of course that isn't the point. The people who are a threat to angling see it no differently to bear baiting and they generally have no real love for wildlife but are motivated by a hatred for people. There is nothing rational about them.
Moorland management for shooting is a massive benefit for grouse numbers, shooting income and related employment.
I really don't see how you can say it is a massive benefit environmentally or that it doesn't put salmon at risk in any way. If you have good impartial sources to back up those two statements then please post them. From what I see on my river, I couldn't be anywhere near as certain as you seem to be.

Loxie

Reaction score
Moorland management for shooting is a massive benefit for grouse numbers, shooting income and related employment.
I really don't see how you can say it is a massive benefit environmentally or that it doesn't put salmon at risk in any way. If you have good impartial sources to back up those two statements then please post them. From what I see on my river, I couldn't be anywhere near as certain as you seem to be.

A couple to get you going.

what reason do you think salmon might be affected?

keirross

Reaction score
Paid looneys activities on about £400/wk via expenses currently under furlough. Ah, them Gates, Rockefeller and Tides foundations.

Last edited: