Reliable no nonsense trout reel, recommendations please

Pompero

Reaction score
No I haven't but I will. Did you buy from loop direct?
I bought a Evotec G4 from their outlet, good reel, think its 35% off. Any of the FW series would be a good fit, especially the 5-7.

I know this suggestion does not fit your criteria, but anytime someone asks for a trout reel for say a #4-6 rod I have to nominate the Danielsson Dryfly, its got so much soul and if there ever was a trout reel for traditional dry fly fishing it is it. Second hand they go for around 100 quid. Sorry to add to your confusion!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Lamson litespeed. I love these reels and use one for my #5 set which balances my 9’ GR80 perfectly.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I love my Vosseler's (DC4) and S3's for salmon - BUT - I am mightily impressed with the Airflo Airtec reels - sealed drag - bought one for sea Loch fishing - semi sacrificial so I didn't knacker my good reels - but in the end is a belter and for about £30 quid is good value. Not sure if they still make them - but if you can get one, it's a great reel

Finglas

Reaction score
I bought a Evotec G4 from their outlet, good reel, think its 35% off. Any of the FW series would be a good fit, especially the 5-7.

I know this suggestion does not fit your criteria, but anytime someone asks for a trout reel for say a #4-6 rod I have to nominate the Danielsson Dryfly, its got so much soul and if there ever was a trout reel for traditional dry fly fishing it is it. Second hand they go for around 100 quid. Sorry to add to your confusion!

No no, thanks for the recommendation I'll definitely give it some thought.

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
I love my Vosseler's (DC4) and S3's for salmon - BUT - I am mightily impressed with the Airflo Airtec reels - sealed drag - bought one for sea Loch fishing - semi sacrificial so I didn't knacker my good reels - but in the end is a belter and for about £30 quid is good value. Not sure if they still make them - but if you can get one, it's a great reel
Thanks Doc that sounds like a great reel for using in saltwater as you say but also more generally by the sounds of it too!

Jamie

Pati

Reaction score
At that price point Okuma helios would be my recommendation : machined Aluminium, multiple disc drag, beautiful and reasonably light, very sturdy

But no clicker sound though!

Finglas

Reaction score
At that price point Okuma helios would be my recommendation : machined Aluminium, multiple disc drag, beautiful and reasonably light, very sturdy

But no clicker sound though!
Sounds like a brilliant reel but it would take a lot of getting used to since it doesn't have the clicker sound.

Thank you

Pati

Reaction score
Sounds like a brilliant reel but it would take a lot of getting used to since it doesn't have the clicker sound.

Thank you
Ahaha it has it s advantages though: yesterday I wanted to clean a line on my old hardy perfect, I took the reel and started to pull the line routinely: the sound woke up my little baby and I ended up in big trouble with his mom!!!! Wouldn’t have happened with the silent Helios!

Finglas

Reaction score
Hello again all, just thought I would give a quick update. I saw this marquis for sale through facebook marketplace and for the price (55 quid) I thought it was certainly worth having this as one of my trout reels anyway.

When I went to collect it I didn't understand the advert properly and so didn't realise I was going to view/buy the multiplier version of the marquis. I'm not sure if anyone has any thoughts on them? It seems they allow for a faster rate of retrieve which is always handy, especially if I'm sea trouting which I think was what they were mainly used for.

I'm still on the lookout for maybe a battenkill but I'm still trying to decide, so many reels!

Thanks for the help again,

Jamie

Attachments

ibm59

Reaction score
I had the Marquis 6 multiplier many moons ago.
Nice reel.

Left it on the roof of the car outside the Coylet on Loch Eck while tackling up one morning.
It wasn’t there when we came back in the evening.
Neither was the Marquis 10 that I’d left on the roof beside it.
🙄😳

Finglas

Reaction score
Very unfortunate ibm! Hopefully the same fate will not befall this one.

My parents used to have a cabin at loch eck many years ago. I don't remember much about the place but I do remember a wee old stone pub we visited. You went down a steep flight of stairs and inside it was full of smoke and an old chap was always playing an accordion. Was the fishing on the loch good?

pellinore

Reaction score
I had the Marquis 6 multiplier many moons ago.
Nice reel.

Left it on the roof of the car outside the Coylet on Loch Eck while tackling up one morning.
It wasn’t there when we came back in the evening.
Neither was the Marquis 10 that I’d left on the roof beside it.
🙄😳
Was that heading north on the a815?

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
There are of course many good reels and some bad ones too, but there has never been a fly-reel invented which puts a fish on the hook that otherwise would not have been caught. Some reels are designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

Finglas

Reaction score
The place I remember was the whistle field inn (just checked). From google maps it doesn't look too far from coylet.

Jamie

ibm59

Reaction score
Both hotels hired out boats on the Loch.
Spent many‘s the happy day afloat there.