Reliable no nonsense trout reel, recommendations please

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all just looking for some fly reel recommendations. I have used a hardy cascapedia for a few years now - a korean made model! I have had nothing but trouble with it and it's been back to hardy a few times. So it's time for it to go and I'd like to replace it with something that is solid and reliable. My thoughts are that I'd like it to have a robust "click" sound for the takes. Beyond that, it would be good if it wasn't all plastic and priced at a reasonable point. It will be getting used and careful as I may be, it'll still get dinked here and there so I'm not keen on spending much more than 100 quid. Oh and second hand is more than fine by me.

Any recommendations would be great.

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
Thank you MCX, I had searched the forum before posting and I did see the battenkill mentioned a few years ago on another thread. Definitely one that I'll be searching for.

The line I use at the moment is a WF6 but I would say a reel that covers a 6/7 would probably be ideal.

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
Marquis... very little to go wrong on them and a great sound
I'm tempted by a marquis and have one as a salmon reel. Bought my dad one a while ago as his main trout reel but I just hate to see them develop new scuffs and scrapes. Maybe I could by an older one that is less than pristine.

Jamie

Rrrr

Reaction score
The hardy jlh ultralite is worth a look. Think of them as an uprated light marquis that make a better sound.
I just tend to go for the greys reels with the cassette spools these days, abit soulless but cheap, light and work as they should.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I'm tempted by a marquis and have one as a salmon reel. Bought my dad one a while ago as his main trout reel but I just hate to see them develop new scuffs and scrapes. Maybe I could by an older one that is less than pristine.

Jamie
Second hand with spare spools is how I've picked up the ones I have...

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
The hardy jlh ultralite is worth a look. Think of them as an uprated light marquis that make a better sound.
I just tend to go for the greys reels with the cassette spools these days, abit soulless but cheap, light and work as they should.

Bought the latest greys cartridge reel and returned it straight away.. while a nice concept the cartridge spools rattled too much and came loose inside casing... still worked just too much xtra play and noise for me..

Settled on a lamson liquid 5/6 a lot smoother and quieter as lamson tend to be... great reels too

Rrrr

Reaction score
Bought the latest greys cartridge reel and returned it straight away.. while a nice concept the cartridge spools rattled too much and came loose inside casing... still worked just too much xtra play and noise for me..

Settled on a lamson liquid 5/6 a lot smoother and quieter as lamson tend to be... great reels too
Ive had no issues with my gts 500 or older g series but have heard of a few issues with the new qrs reels.
My trout reels dont really get a load of use so do tend to last me.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Ive had no issues with my gts 500 or older g series but have heard of a few issues with the new qrs reels.

At the budget end - I'm still using the old GRX GRXi series. TBH I think they got it right on those reels and the newer designs are less robust.
My GRX has been thrown around rocky reservoir & banksides more than 10 yrs - currently in use on my switch rod with a Barrio 6/7 and plenty of backing, spins like a centrepin and drag still good enough to stop a train.

Had a few Koma's of all weights but can't get on with the silent (no click) wind.

Also using a Wychwood 9/11 Cassette reel for my Salmon lines and if the trout versions are as good, I'd say that would also be a good candidate for a good value/performance reel.

One of my favourite small arbour reels is the old Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock). Lovely light reel, good drag even on small sizes. Using that on my 4/5 wt rods.

Out of the same stable is the old BFR Modula - another nice bar stock aluminium cassette reel. I have 2 , but both exhibit a fault where the drag setting goes "loose" and needs the knob unscrewing/taking off to tighten up - so I'd not include in recommendations even though a nice reel to use.

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

Had a few greys cassette reels over the years... most cartridges stuck on the reel and had to be eventually prised off with a screwdriver and the drags went into permanent free spool. Although 1 was my fault not washing it in freshwater after estuary fishing...

The less moving parts and plastic used on a reel the better I think..

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Had a few greys cassette reels over the years... most cartridges stuck on the reel and had to be eventually prised off with a screwdriver and the drags went into permanent free spool. Although 1 was my fault not washing it in freshwater after estuary fishing...

The less moving parts and plastic used on a reel the better I think..
Never had a problem with stuck spools on any of my cassette reels. All I do is keep the grit out and use a little vaseline on the inside of each spool

Tangled

Reaction score
Depends on size a bit. I'm a cassette guy 'cos I do a lot of different sorts of fishing.

The Grey GTS500 has been good for me for years - it's been properly hammered and the drag has tamed several good salmon - that a 5/6/7 trout.
But I think it's too heavy for a #5, or even #6 really.

If you're going down to #5 or lower, the Snowbee Spectre is a lovely cassette reel - really light and pretty solid.

If you're not a cassette fan, the Lamson Liquid takes a lot of beating

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Never had a problem with stuck spools on any of my cassette reels. All I do is keep the grit out and use a little vaseline on the inside of each spool
It was the GRX and GRXi models.. 1 was silver the other was black... they worked fine for a while, a couple of seasons or so but both started to act up eventually... the black one lasted the longest until I didn't wash it after saltwater use but I was down to maybe 2 usable spools in total I think..

Finglas

Reaction score
Some excellent advice here guys. I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I have plenty of options to consider now. Thank you

Jamie

Rrrr

Reaction score
It was the GRX and GRXi models.. 1 was silver the other was black... they worked fine for a while, a couple of seasons or so but both started to act up eventually... the black one lasted the longest until I didn't wash it after saltwater use but I was down to maybe 2 usable spools in total I think..
My dads grxi salmon reel went funny and the drag stopped working. The anti reverse bearings play up on them. Cleaned it up and it worked again for a while but swapped it out with a bearing from a knackerd vision reel that i had lying about and its great now.

I rember as a kid not rinsing my rimfly reel after using in on a tidal section of river and it ended up seized solid

morphfly

Reaction score
My dads grxi salmon reel went funny and the drag stopped working. The anti reverse bearings play up on them. Cleaned it up and it worked again for a while but swapped it out with a bearing from a knackerd vision reel that i had lying about and its great now.

I rember as a kid not rinsing my rimfly reel after using in on a tidal section of river and it ended up seized solid

Gearfly! A reel for a gentleman

wormo

Reaction score
have u checked loop ? they were selling off g4s half price I got the lw #7/9 perfect switch or single hand

Rrrr

Reaction score
Gearfly! A reel for a gentleman
Is that the multiplier version ?
Got the dragnon fly and a few others but must be 20 years since theyve seen daylight.