Reel sounds

rytenuff

Reaction score
Do you favour a reel that screams or whispers?
I chanced upon this article online from, The 'Reel' Sound of Music - Fly Reels Compared - Fish and Fly
It is not exactly accurate having not been done with laboratory instruments but it is an indication of what noise, or lack of it, a reel may make. Just a topic for a bit of fun.
In my neck of the woods, the "Fish on"! sound of a Hardy Marquis 3 is highly prized.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Definitely a screamer for me , i loathe a silent reel.
Hardy have great sounding reels in the Marquis , Perfect and Bougle but are **** on the line retrieve, it’s like waiting for the cows to come home

Rrrr

Reaction score
Old hardy ultralite disc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
In the past all my reels were 'screamers' and I sold them all on many moons ago. A decision I later regretted.

Bought a Hardy Golden Prince just before the end of the 2018 season. The first fish I played and landed on it was my first of last season. A 14lb springer in mid March which almost ripped the rod out of my hand when it took. It's first run was straight downstream about 120 yds.....the memory of that reels screaming still makes me grin like a big kid!:D

ibm59

Reaction score
Much prefer a gentle whisper in my ear
The last screamer i encountered had my landlord banging on my door asking if everyone was ok.:wow:
Mind you , i did live above a hairdresser’s at the time , and it was 2 in the afternoon.:peace:

And before anyone comments , it was a VERY long time ago :D

Neil W

Reaction score
I do like my Hardy perfects especially when I am on a good sized Scottish river. Sort of fits with the whole experience.
Conversely when I fish a small quite out of the way river in the Autumn the same clicker just sounds out of place so i use quiet reels.
In Norway I am advised to use a good disc drag so that takes precedence over click.

Markymac

Reaction score
It has to be a screaming reel for me. The loop classic is my favourite reel. Nothing better than a strong fish taking off on a good run and hearing the reel roaring.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Silence is golden 👌, I'm no much into everyone on the river knowing I've got a fish on

Rrrr

Reaction score
Silence is golden , I'm no much into everyone on the river knowing I've got a fish on
Main issue ive found is that a noisey reel tends to get everyone asking "whats that" and picking the rod up for a good look and play with the reel. Same as the man with the biggest net automaticly gets the job of head ghillie. (My new net is coverd in seatrout scales for this reason from sat)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hemmy

Reaction score
Treat my reels like my women..... keep them well oiled and make them scream 🤣

Rennie

Reaction score
Dunno about this, its the reel itself for me rather than the noise it makes!.As long as I'm aware that the reels turning with a fish on, then thats fine.I don't like 'em too quiet, but I don't like a bag of old spanners either.Marquis 3's about as loud as I'd want to go, my Cascapedia is rather addictive and I could get used to that!, my Angels are just right as are the ULDLA's, subtle and rather personal but very effective.Thumbs up again on a personal "own space" sound point for a SA Mastery and a Hardy MA dd, enough of a buzz without undue broadcasting.I've a Vision GT and a Hardy Swift Mk1, both outgoing only and both very very smooth, but a touch too quiet in reality, say the same for my Guideline Quadra too.
When you think it through, its the more robust click n pawl reels that hold their position better and don't wind in/out as you're casting!, which is a pain often blighting modern quieter reels!.
Non too fussed if the whole river can't hear me playing fish, as long as I'm aware and enjoying me' sen.
Pedro.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I don't like anything too noisy.

It's hard keeping up the charade when someone asks you, "any good", if you reply, "naw, nothing", after your reel has been alarming people in the next parish that you've had a fish on! :lol: