Red skin disease

Pubs

Reaction score
A salmon on the Blackwater in Cork was found today with red skin disease.
FB_IMG_1600717036735.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600717031152.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600717031152.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 32

Loxie

Reaction score
It looks like a parasite, possibly Costia or Gyrodactolus. It could be physical damage that's caused a skin reaction, but that's pretty rare. It's not Red Belly as has been seen in the last two springs, IMO.

charlieH

Reaction score
It looks like a parasite, possibly Costia or Gyrodactolus. It could be physical damage that's caused a skin reaction, but that's pretty rare. It's not Red Belly as has been seen in the last two springs, IMO.

Might it just be some sort of physical damage - i.e. bruising?

Here's a picture of a fish with something not dissimilar. Some years ago, as I was fishing down a pool wading no more than knee deep, this fish came past me, tailing downstream, still alive but clearly in its final throes. I shunted it into the shallows where it expired. When the head gillie appeared I explained what had happened, thinking that he might want to report it to the Board's scientist. But the first thing he did was to look inside the mouth - and there was a treble hook embedded in the jaw. He later reported that a couple of days previously a gillie a mile or two upstream had observed a rod on the opposite bank land a fish which had then bounced around on bankside rocks before finding its way back into the river. Rightly or wrongly, our gillie reckoned that this was probably that same fish, and it was the battering on the rocks (and perhaps the time out of water) that had caused its eventual death. Below the red marks on the skin there was extensive bruising, and the patch that appears almost blueish, just below the dorsal fin, was like a large blister, filled with fluid.

P9150314.JPG

Loxie

Reaction score
Charlie it certainly could be that. If you look at the OP the damage starts in a fairly straight line as if the fish had been jammed in a door, rocks would obviously be ore likely. Both fish were clearly damaged some time before death.

many years ago I caught a 10lb sea liced fish in April. I never bothered with a net in those days as I had no intention of returning fish. When I beached it it had a bit of a fit and clapped about somewhat before the priest could be brought in to action. When I filleted it for smoking there was serious bruising on one side with quite severe internal bleeding. I wonder if that sort of damage is rather more common than we appreciate? It is one of the reasons I always try and net fish these days.

LEEB

Reaction score
Had this one on gweebara last week was bit reddish but just assumed maybe because had been in for a while . Not great pic but Defo has red on it .