Recommend a Reel

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
It was a steal -£260👍
be interesting to see how it works in 20 years though. Only had it around 5.
It’ll be fine. I bought 5 Super 12s in a bulk deal 20 years ago. They are brilliant but need regular maintenance. At least once a year I steam clean the cork and back plate and relube the cork with a little neetsfoot oil. Drag range is from freespool to stop a train. One of the most satisfying movements in salmon fishing is stopping a charger with 3 clicks of the abel drag. However, they are built for huge tarpon and GTs. I wouldn’t have bought them just for salmon.

My other salmon discs for 8/9 lines are Sage 3500Ds which I aslo bought 20 years ago. Drag range not as good as Abel but as drag seeled no maintenance.

Regards

NHP

nickolas

Reaction score
It’ll be fine. I bought 5 Super 12s in a bulk deal 20 years ago. They are brilliant but need regular maintenance. At least once a year I steam clean the cork and back plate and relube the cork with a little neetsfoot oil. Drag range is from freespool to stop a train. One of the most satisfying movements in salmon fishing is stopping a charger with 3 clicks of the abel drag. However, they are built for huge tarpon and GTs. I wouldn’t have bought them just for salmon.

My other salmon discs for 8/9 lines are Sage 3500Ds which I aslo bought 20 years ago. Drag range not as good as Abel but as drag seeled no maintenance.

Regards

NHP
great reels, so simple, what i have done is change neats foot oil which can get a bit sticky on the initial inertia to silicon dry lib, which applys to tibor and Saracion. We use this in our manufacturing With wood on steel beds.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Another vote for the GTS 500. I got mine for CA £40! I got a second as I could not believe the quality. My 2 brothers bought 3 between them when they used mine. I use it with an 8 weight 10 foot and also for my 14.5 foot Shakespeare 10 weight. Good drag you can turn up high for salmon and light enough to fish dry fly! Great reel for the price. Seriously surprised by the quality.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Lamson Liquid for me, but a tad slightly over £100.
Bought this last summer with the spare spools over the Grey's cassette in the same range... less play/noise in the spools on the lamson... bought the 5/6 for the 10ft Grey's GR60 and it's a great trout / low water set up

Hoddom

Reaction score
great reels, so simple, what i have done is change neats foot oil which can get a bit sticky on the initial inertia to silicon dry lib, which applys to tibor and Saracion. We use this in our manufacturing With wood on steel beds.
Any way. What’s a Neet and why do their feet produce oil ?????

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Use your drag? Of course and I check it every time I fish! You need the drag set as it's much easier to net a fish if you can trust your drag to keep your rod bent. I would only spend silly money on one if I fished the fast Scandinavian rivers where you can not follow, or tarpon. Then you need a perfect strong drag and heavy line.

RUSH

Reaction score
I used to fish with the drag just tight enough so the current couldn’t pull the line off,last season I tightened it right up hard to pull line off the reel when I got a take and hooked a fish I’d slacken the drag off slightly,I went from having teens of fish coming off to only 6 lost for the season the salmon still happily pull against the tight drag and my hooking to landing fish improved drastically

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I used to fish with the drag just tight enough so the current couldn’t pull the line off,last season I tightened it right up hard to pull line off the reel when I got a take and hooked a fish I’d slacken the drag off slightly,I went from having teens of fish coming off to only 6 lost for the season the salmon still happily pull against the tight drag and my hooking to landing fish improved drastically
That’s interesting, are you still fishing off the reel or do you hold a loop of line on your hand?

RUSH

Reaction score
That’s interesting, are you still fishing off the reel or do you hold a loop of line on your hand?
Straight of the reel it worked well for me in my thinking they pull it hard and there’s not a lot of give there’s only one place the hooks going it certainly made a big difference for me

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Straight of the reel it worked well for me in my thinking they pull it hard and there’s not a lot of give there’s only one place the hooks going it certainly made a big difference for me
Okay thanks. I have lost a few fish when they have taken on the hang and I’ve ‘felt’ the teeth as the fly has pulled out without finding a hold. I swapped to have my reel set loose as you used to and that seems to have solved the problem. I wonder if it’s about different rivers/ approaches leading to differences in line angle, stretch of leader etc creating a different impact on the fly during a take.