Recommend a Reel

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions lads. Just Out out of interest what would ye think about the Rod that’s included in the greys K4ST X combo in 9ft 6 #7?
Or is there any other single hander ye might recommend.
Greys rods are generally very good quality although I don't know a lot about that model. If it was my money I would be willing to buy because I wouldn't expect to be disappointed. Single handed at the budget end;
  • Greys GR20 or 40
  • Shakespeare Agility 2
  • Airflo Delta Classic
The range for the last two also includes very good double handed rods.

The Greys range does too, but I've not heard any feedback on them and haven't tried them myself and so can't comment.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Why not go for a wee bit longer rod pug,something like a Shakespeare oracle now around the £80 mark,and the crosswater fly reel(sage) £50. For that wee bit of extra outlay you’ll have a good all rounder salmon rod,and a very good reel,and you’ll be set to go for the season pal.👍

Reactions: pug

pug

Reaction score
Thanks lads, I’ll probably go for one of the greys single handed rods and look at getting a switch later in the season. I’m not the best caster I’m the world and have very little experience using a double handed rod!

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Thanks lads, I’ll probably go for one of the greys single handed rods and look at getting a switch later in the season. I’m not the best caster I’m the world and have very little experience using a double handed rod!
Shakespeare agility 2 10ft 7wt is an incredible rod for £68 honestly couldn't speak highly enough of it 🎣👍

Rennie

Reaction score
Yes, in the 1st instance, why buy it and then not use it ? and if you've got a reel with a drag, make the best of it!.
Having said that, I usually use a combination of palming and drag.It's a right of passage thing, one usually learns the hard way not to fiddle with drags when playing fish overmuch as it can divert the attention from where it should really be!.Like owt else, drop a fish or two off with over fiddling and you soon learn to say hook a fish, up a couple of clicks and thats it, sorted !.
A good drags worth its weight in gold in an 'orrible lumpy wade, or indeed a long deep wade.
You still need to learn to use the reels drag effectively, get used to the settings, know where it should be and how far you can exploit it once you do hook a fish.
Learning's 1/2 the fun!.
Pedro.

Sash

Reaction score
Do folk on here use their drags on their fly reels?
ABSOLUTELY, and for Salmon, sewin and trout.
The rivers I fish (esepcially the Cleddau) seem to be incredibly unforgiving of me having loops of line hanging all over the place, let alone hand-lining during a fight.
So for all but the smallest trout, I get the line on the reel ASAP, and play with a medium/heavy drag: I want to stop the fish running into snags (or the next pool), tire it, land it and return it. As quickly as I can.

Andrew B

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY, and for Salmon, sewin and trout.
The rivers I fish (esepcially the Cleddau) seem to be incredibly unforgiving of me having loops of line hanging all over the place, let alone hand-lining during a fight.
So for all but the smallest trout, I get the line on the reel ASAP, and play with a medium/heavy drag: I want to stop the fish running into snags (or the next pool), tire it, land it and return it. As quickly as I can.
You know I’ve always wanted to fish the Cleddau as unlike most of the Welsh rivers I fish that are predominantly Sewin,it seems to me that the Cleddau has a genuine salmon run?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yes, in the 1st instance, why buy it and then not use it ? and if you've got a reel with a drag, make the best of it!.
Having said that, I usually use a combination of palming and drag.It's a right of passage thing, one usually learns the hard way not to fiddle with drags when playing fish overmuch as it can divert the attention from where it should really be!.Like owt else, drop a fish or two off with over fiddling and you soon learn to say hook a fish, up a couple of clicks and thats it, sorted !.
A good drags worth its weight in gold in an 'orrible lumpy wade, or indeed a long deep wade.
You still need to learn to use the reels drag effectively, get used to the settings, know where it should be and how far you can exploit it once you do hook a fish.
Learning's 1/2 the fun!.
Pedro.

That k Pedro that’s most helpful. I always look to get the line back onto the reel, albeit I have lost fish when doing this as it’s easy to slacken off whilst doing it, if you’re not switched on?
I used to use the drag but I bought two of the Greys reels to go with the streamflex and no s**t the little drag part was made of plastic and I’m not kidding they were both gone within a few weeks. Greys knew they messed up as they were sending replacements with the reel but for the life of me I don’t know why they weren’t metal?

Anyway in short that put me of using drags.
That said I’d love to know what the Abel cork drags are like as I’m curious that way and need to know how cork works as a drag without wearing out lol.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That k Pedro that’s most helpful. I always look to get the line back onto the reel, albeit I have lost fish when doing this as it’s easy to slacken off whilst doing it, if you’re not switched on?
I used to use the drag but I bought two of the Greys reels to go with the streamflex and no s**t the little drag part was made of plastic and I’m not kidding they were both gone within a few weeks. Greys knew they messed up as they were sending replacements with the reel but for the life of me I don’t know why they weren’t metal?

Anyway in short that put me of using drags.
That said I’d love to know what the Abel cork drags are like as I’m curious that way and need to know how cork works as a drag without wearing out lol.
I’ve heard the Abel drags are pretty awful as the cork can be grabby giving a jerky feel, compresses quite quickly and wears quite quickly meaning a rapid loss of drag force. The reviews on that meant that I rejected Abel as an option.

Andrew B

Reaction score
yes, its set very loose initially so that a fish can easily take some line (easier than hanging onto a loop) and then it gets tightened after a fish is on - so about 3 times a year :ROFLMAO: . I also like to play big trout off the reel too.
Lol would be nice if I could catch something to test it. I’ve blanked for two years on big June sea trout( don’t count the small Sewin).
My most memorable fish was a five pound sea trout caught on a waddington Peter Ross in big daytime water. Fish took the second it landed and bombed of thirty yards back down to the falls. Drag set hard I had to put my hand on the spool to either get snapped or turn it and it turned literally near the lip of the falls🤯 after that it came back up in front of me and wouldn’t budge for what seemed like ages. So weird I could swear it was looking me in the eye as I was wondering what to do. Eventually it moved and swam right towards me where I banked it.

I’ve caught sea trout double that size with using the drag but none were as memorable as that fish in June 2012.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve heard the Abel drags are pretty awful as the cork can be grabby giving a jerky feel, compresses quite quickly and wears quite quickly meaning a rapid loss of drag force. The reviews on that meant that I rejected Abel as an option.

Ah ok so if that’s so, you would have to conclude that they’re well over priced?
No wonder this forum has a thing for those Danielson reels eh?

Hoddom

Reaction score
The drag on my Abel super 11 is the best drag ever! It’s cork. Compared to my other salmon reels - Sage Spectrums and an Evoke, Hardy 9000 DD, a Vossler S3 and a Mako (not tried that one yet) the Abel is by far the best. Super-duper smooth, huge range and far easy to adjust without loosing control.
ive heard stories of cork drags slipping when they get a soaked through but I’ve never had that problem.
The bad thing about the Abel is the stupid prices they charge. Mine has a bespoke paint job that I love- I brought it second hand at auction in mint condition for the price of a Lamson. Would never have brought it new!!!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The drag on my Abel super 11 is the best drag ever! It’s cork. Compared to my other salmon reels - Sage Spectrums and an Evoke, Hardy 9000 DD, a Vossler S3 and a Mako (not tried that one yet) the Abel is by far the best. Super-duper smooth, huge range and far easy to adjust without loosing control.
ive heard stories of cork drags slipping when they get a soaked through but I’ve never had that problem.
The bad thing about the Abel is the stupid prices they charge. Mine has a bespoke paint job that I love- I brought it second hand at auction in mint condition for the price of a Lamson. Would never have brought it new!!!

Thats good to hear for it balances the other reviews I've seen. I just wouldn't want to risk it when there are so many others to choose from. It sounds like you managed to get it for a great price though!

Last edited:

Hoddom

Reaction score
Thats good to hear for it balances the other reviews I've seen. I just wouldn't want to risk it when there are so many others to choose from. Sounds like managed to get it a great price though!
It was a steal -£260👍
be interesting to see how it works in 20 years though. Only had it around 5.

Sash

Reaction score
You know I’ve always wanted to fish the Cleddau as unlike most of the Welsh rivers I fish that are predominantly Sewin,it seems to me that the Cleddau has a genuine salmon run?
I have to be honest: its genuine, but terribly small at present. The Eastern salmon runs have all but died, due to shocking agricultural run-off all through the year: the insect surveys are dreadful.
I now spend almost all my time on the Western, really fishing for sewin and trout, but its lovely to have the (small!) hope of a salmon in Spring and Autumn

Woodsy

Reaction score
Did you get sorted pug? See a good deal in the sale section of the forum for whenever you get a double hander. I'm tempted myself as a backup but delivery across the water will probably be wild thanks to brexit

Prezmek

Reaction score
Shakespeare agility 2 10ft 7wt is an incredible rod for £68 honestly couldn't speak highly enough of it 🎣👍
I've agility 2 10ft 7wt and not very impressed with it. Tried several fly lines in 7wt on it and still not happy with performance of it. Can you recommend good fly line for this rod? Its not only my opinion have friend who work in tackle shop having same problem, fly line feels too light for rod, Airflo40+ seems the best, airflo delta, snowbee xs , cortland444 and few more have been tested. Currently using Barrio line but again hard work with it

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've agility 2 10ft 7wt and not very impressed with it. Tried several fly lines in 7wt on it and still not happy with performance of it. Can you recommend good fly line for this rod? Its not only my opinion have friend who work in tackle shop having same problem, fly line feels too light for rod, Airflo40+ seems the best, airflo delta, snowbee xs , cortland444 and few more have been tested. Currently using Barrio line but again hard work with it
I like the maxcatch gold on mine 1 line size up.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I use wychwood rocket floater, wychwood low zone (di3) ghost intermediate and airflo 40+ all in wt7 and never had a problem. The 40+ is a real big hitter anyway I prefer that on a comp style rod with an ultra fast action

pug

Reaction score
Did you get sorted pug? See a good deal in the sale section of the forum for whenever you get a double hander. I'm tempted myself as a backup but delivery across the water will probably be wild thanks to brexit
I didn’t actually, Ive been keeping an eye on the classifieds here and on eBay! I wouldn’t mind a new rod also so thinking I might wait until the shops open up again! I like the look of this kit but hard to find any information on the rod
https://www.flyfishingireland.com/products/guideline-laxa-seatrout-96-7-new

Woodsy

Reaction score
I didn’t actually, Ive been keeping an eye on the classifieds here and on eBay! I wouldn’t mind a new rod also so thinking I might wait until the shops open up again! I like the look of this kit but hard to find any information on the rod
https://www.flyfishingireland.com/products/guideline-laxa-seatrout-96-7-new
Ian Mortimer was selling an SLA reel but its been sold now.

I wouldn't rule out a small double hander or switch. A cheap Shakespeare rod and spend the change on lessons.

I used a single hander for several years and finally got a double hander 3 years ago. Regret not biting the bullet earlier!

Reactions: pug