Recommend a Reel

pug

Reaction score
Hi I was looking to buy a decent fly reel with drag to go with a single handed 7/8 weight 9ft 5 rod! Budget wise Id like to keep it under £100 Just looking for something decent that won’t let me down on a salmon.
If anyone knows of any decent combo deals going I’d be interested also. I currently have a Leeds Olymipic Fly rod that’s nice and light That I’ve used for trout for a few years I probably only get 5 days Salmon fishing in the year.
Thanks

KBM32

Reaction score
Hi I was looking to buy a decent fly reel with drag to go with a single handed 7/8 weight 9ft 5 rod! Budget wise Id like to keep it under £100 Just looking for something decent that won’t let me down on a salmon.
If anyone knows of any decent combo deals going I’d be interested also. I currently have a Leeds Olymipic Fly rod that’s nice and light That I’ve used for trout for a few years I probably only get 5 days Salmon fishing in the year.
Thanks
Greys gts 500 is reasonable at around 50 or 60 pounds I think and you get a few spare spools with it. I used one on a trout rod that I used for grilse fishing. Never let me down until I slipped and fell and smashed it into a million pieces greys gts 600 is also about 80 quid but never heard how it performs.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: pug

pug

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses lads, on the greys reel, I got the lens of a GX300 last year and found it good would the gts 500 be better again? Are the cassette reels lighter ?

Andrew B

Reaction score
You get a whole load for your money nowadays with fly reels imo. I’ve never used anything super high end to see what the difference would be? But seriously all the usual makes such as Greys, Airflo, scierra, and even Guideline do reels in this price range. I’ve not used a drag on a fly reel in years so for me I’m just looking for something that’s balanced to hold the line.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Forgot to add I did well at auction last week with these Hardy reels. There was three other Salmon Marquis with spare spools that all fetched £110 minus commission. As someone mentioned second is a good way to buy.

Attachments

• CC6ABE32-226B-4A14-BD87-A77450ABAB74.jpeg
    CC6ABE32-226B-4A14-BD87-A77450ABAB74.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 64
  • D8694ED2-5736-4E58-816A-83E253AEAD81.jpeg
    D8694ED2-5736-4E58-816A-83E253AEAD81.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 66

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Wychwood truefly sla mk11 pick one up for around £70 and you get 3 spare spools with the pack, I've had the mk1 for 10+ years and had 1000's of fish on it and its still going strong now, own both mk1 and mk11 both are top quality 👍

Andrew B

Reaction score
Wychwood truefly sla mk11 pick one up for around £70 and you get 3 spare spools with the pack, I've had the mk1 for 10+ years and had 1000's of fish on it and its still going strong now, own both mk1 and mk11 both are top quality 👍
Marvellous reels that feel and look like they should cost way more.

iainmortimer

Reaction score

And another. I have one for my 13' 8/9. Brilliant reel for the money. I think the only compromise is strength although that's based on juggling one before expertly allowing it to fall onto hard standing which slightly bent the rim meaning it rubs at one spot. I liked it enough to buy another though and so now have six spools!

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
And another. I have one for my 13' 8/9. Brilliant reel for the money. I think the only compromise is strength although that's based on juggling one before expertly allowing it to fall onto hard standing which slightly bent the rim meaning it rubs at one spot. I liked it enough to buy another though and so now have six spools!
Agreed, my mk1 has honestly been through it all and still stands strong to this day (7/8) ..... and the spools fit each other wether old model or new, probably the only reels (for my trout fishing) ill ever use BARGAIN!

Reactions: pug

iainmortimer

Reaction score
As another thought, go second hand and grab a bargain that is high spec. Something like a Scientific Anglers System 2 would be in budget and is a very dependable and strong bit of kit.

pug

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! Might be worth going second hand alright, Any thoughts on the guideline favo reels ? Am I right I’m saying that some of the more modern lightweight reels are more susceptible to damage? I hadn’t even thought of that as I currently use a couple of old rimfly reels that seem to take a lot of hardship!

Attachments

• 1EF88459-6E2D-4B83-A47B-C0387E84A1BD.png
    1EF88459-6E2D-4B83-A47B-C0387E84A1BD.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 38

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! Might be worth going second hand alright, Any thoughts on the guideline favo reels ? Am I right I’m saying that some of the more modern lightweight reels are more susceptible to damage? I hadn’t even thought of that as I currently use a couple of old rimfly reels that seem to take a lot of hardship!
Favo reels are great 👍

Rrrr

Reaction score
Can’t fault the guideline favo reels, I use the 8-11 on my double hander and it’s a good reel for the money
Mine went into freespool when playing a salmon last year and birdsnested the line. My fault though as id had it wet and coverd in silt the day before sorting another fish. Its been perfect since i stripped the drag and cleaned it all up.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Used to love my old rimfly, sadly left in on the banks of a ressie never to be seen again 😫

mows

Reaction score
2nd hand Scierra xda or xdp.
Superb drag and very solid.
I use a 7/9 on my 9'6" .
Great for trout, but fine for salmon too.

Rrrr

Reaction score
For a budget reel id suggest a vision deep. Better drag than my hardy or guideline and spools are readily available.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

pug

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions lads. Just Out out of interest what would ye think about the Rod that’s included in the greys K4ST X combo in 9ft 6 #7?
Or is there any other single hander ye might recommend.