Real Trout Spey

Icelander05

Reaction score
I do have a number of switch rods and most manufacturers do recommend to go up one or two classes over the line rating if you use a trout line. I.e. Airflo Airtec #6 is rated for a 40+ #7 or even #8 is better. There are nice switch lines around and I have balanced my rods perfectly with Airflo Switch and Barrio Switch lines. I do have occasions where I want to fish a long rod for trout and other species so I thought a trout spey might be a good idea. In order not to spend too much I got one from China rated #3. It feels very light in the hand, like a three and I tried a #5 Airflo Nymph line. Good with overhead, far too light for spey. Same with other lines and it just works okay with a 7 trout line. So I am back to what I have. Are there real trout speys around, Beulah maybe?
Icelander05

Rrrr

Reaction score
I do have a number of switch rods and most manufacturers do recommend to go up one or two classes over the line rating if you use a trout line. I.e. Airflo Airtec #6 is rated for a 40+ #7 or even #8 is better. There are nice switch lines around and I have balanced my rods perfectly with Airflo Switch and Barrio Switch lines. I do have occasions where I want to fish a long rod for trout and other species so I thought a trout spey might be a good idea. In order not to spend too much I got one from China rated #3. It feels very light in the hand, like a three and I tried a #5 Airflo Nymph line. Good with overhead, far too light for spey. Same with other lines and it just works okay with a 7 trout line. So I am back to what I have. Are there real trout speys around, Beulah maybe?
Icelander05
Reddington seem to be big into trout spey at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

chris68

Reaction score
Buy a single handed Spey line, Airflo do SH skagit head, RIO do a trout spey line, don't use a standard SH line and go heavier, but a line that will work properly with your rod

ibm59

Reaction score
I have the Redington Hydrogen ‘ trout ‘ Spey in #4.
Nice rod , but be warned ...................it’s rated for salmon / double handed / call it what you will , lines.

Works well with SSVT , Chucker , etc etc all in #4 salmon sizes.
Likes the Rio single handed Spey line in #8.

Pompero

Reaction score
Trout speys and switch rods are a mess, there is no AFTM-system for it. What kind of flies do you want to cast and whats the ideal line weight for this job in grams/grains?

Icelander05

Reaction score
Wets and nymphs at distance, maybe a small streamer at times. For me a trout spey should be in the common single hand trout rod range. On a #4 sh rod I put on a #4 line. So if it is these are salmon line rated I will have to go for one of these, maybe a 2,5 Switch Float from Airflo. I have tried a#7 single hand switch line on my #7 switch rods and surprisingly this was working not bad.
Icelander05

Neil W

Reaction score
The US made trout Spey rods seem to be rated on the ‘salmon rod’ scale and for that there seems to be a rule of 3. So for a 4wt trout Spey rod it should be used with a 7wt single handed rated rod certainly for Spey casts.
I have the sage one 4wt switch rod which was bought before trout Spey was even being used. It’s an excellent light double handed rod for me. Works really well with a 4wt Rio SSVT and the airflo switch floating line in either 270 or 300gr. When the Rio Single hand Spey lines came out Simon Gawesworth of Rio recommended to me the 7 or 8 version depending on how you like to load the rod.
if I was swinging smaller flies specifically for trout I would probably be looking at a US 2 wt trout Spey so a 5wt single handed equivalent.
I unfortunately have never tried these rods that light. I think guideline do some lighter switch type rods rated nearer the single handed scale so maybe worth a look

Pompero

Reaction score
Agree with Neil. If you are after something Scandinavian look at Guideline ULS, they are single hand rated and have designated shooting heads for each model. From the US market both Redington and Echo have 11 foot trout spey models from 180 grains (around 11 grams/#5) and upwards.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I’m building a Meiser 11’2” ‘switch’ / ‘trout Spey’, when I have finished I’ll report back. The blank is rated as a double handed 3-weight, which suggests a single hand 6/7.

I would consider that on the heavy side for small river use, but that’s not what these rods are best at.

For a 3 weight rod, the Barrio Small Stream
is a nice, short head line that rolls and speys well enough for my needs.

Karl-K

Reaction score
I’ve got the sage 2wt trout Spey , I’ve mainly used opst commando type Skagit’s on it so far, I have got the Rio trout Spey line but thanks to lockdown I haven’t had a Chuck with it yet. As previously mentioned it’s usually the rule of 3, so my 2wt think +3 so 5wt equivalent

Isisalar

Reaction score
I had a discussion with John Norris on this very subject. I wanted also a rod to speycast trout rated lines #6 for something lighter than my #7 switch rods. Was considering the Guideline Stoked 10' #6 and was told it was definitely trout line rated and was quite capable of casting Spey and overhead.
They recommended the Rio single handed Spey #6.
As the Maxcatch equivalent is seemingly identical I got one of those.
Also haven't had a chance to use on the water yet but the combination seemed to work beautifully on grass.
Could be well worth a look at the Stoked range for something to suit.

tcorfey

Reaction score
My 2cents...
I have an 11' 3" Redington Hydrogen 3wt trout spey rod the I really enjoy fishing. It is rated for Scandi Lines: 200-225 grains and Skagit Lines: 250-275 grains. An Aftma rated 8wt Cortland 444 Peach Double Taper line at 210 grains also works well. The line I use the most is an OPST Commando Smooth Integrated Fly Line at 225 Grain.

I like fishing this rod with light and shorter tips, If you need a longer tip you can always add a mono furled leader between the tip and your tippet to gain more purchase on the water. 10' tips in poly leader or OPST Commando tips at 7.5' and 55-60 grains work well for me.

JirkaK

Reaction score
I have a Sage One 11ft. 3wt. It is rated for lines around 250 grain if I remember well. I don't care much about the rating and for practical fishing (trout, chub, asp...) I'm using custom lines around 150 grain. I make the bodies from old 5-8wt. SH lines and for tips I use trout polyleaders. With mono running line they cast quite well and fish even better.

Reactions: SAB

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’m building a Meiser 11’2” ‘switch’ / ‘trout Spey’, when I have finished I’ll report back. The blank is rated as a double handed 3-weight, which suggests a single hand 6/7.

I would consider that on the heavy side for small river use, but that’s not what these rods are best at.

For a 3 weight rod, the Barrio Small Stream
is a nice, short head line that rolls and speys well enough for my needs.
I'm building a trout/spey rod for ghillie on the Tweed it's an 11ft 3weight in a 5 piece

Icelander05

Reaction score
Was fishing with this China #3rod for a while this weekend and it went pretty well with a #7 Airflo exceed troutline. Okay so far but not the #5weight that I expected. The tip of the rod is pretty thin and seem quite fragile to me. Let's wait how long it will last in this combination.
Icelander05

AndersR

Reaction score
I'm casting a G Loomis #3 short spey for trout. It's a proper spey rod in my view 11'11'' ~12 foot rod. Nice with the Rio ssvt #4. I can reccomend it.
If I was to buy one now, I'd go with the Beulah 12 foot #3.

Andrew B

Reaction score
The US made trout Spey rods seem to be rated on the ‘salmon rod’ scale and for that there seems to be a rule of 3. So for a 4wt trout Spey rod it should be used with a 7wt single handed rated rod certainly for Spey casts.
I have the sage one 4wt switch rod which was bought before trout Spey was even being used. It’s an excellent light double handed rod for me. Works really well with a 4wt Rio SSVT and the airflo switch floating line in either 270 or 300gr. When the Rio Single hand Spey lines came out Simon Gawesworth of Rio recommended to me the 7 or 8 version depending on how you like to load the rod.
if I was swinging smaller flies specifically for trout I would probably be looking at a US 2 wt trout Spey so a 5wt single handed equivalent.
I unfortunately have never tried these rods that light. I think guideline do some lighter switch type rods rated nearer the single handed scale so maybe worth a look
Yeah was gonna say that I’ve seen some of the US YouTube channels testing trout Spey/switch outfits.
They do a lot more streamer fishing over there though.