Re sole Wading boots.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I am trying re sole my simms G3 felt wading boots. Iv watched video on you tube and it looks so easy. Im having problems getting old felt soles off, especially round where I put the studs in. Is there any good way in doing this, and is there any solutions that help break down the glue. I did try taking it to shoe repair shop to get them remove old sole and sand down old felt and glue, unfortunately they did not want the job.
Do most people re sole or use them till sole is nearly worn out and buy new ?

Also while Im here what are the new rubber soles like for grip in river on slippery stones etc compared to felt. Are the rubber with studs better than felt with studs for river wading ?

Paul87

Reaction score
From personal experience my advice is if you don't have much hiking to do stick with the felt soles as they grip best on slippery river beds. Most of my fishing requires me to walk over grassy fields up and down steep hills and banks so I use rubber soles with studs as they offer the best grip out of water. They aren't the best in the water and can be slippery on large rocks but luckily most of the rivers I fish are mainly beds of smaller rocks and gravel. I'd rather slip and get wet in the river than slip on the way to or from it and break a limb. Its a bit of a trade off as to what suits you best for the majority of the fishing you do.

diverdave

Reaction score
Very hot water will soften the glue, it normally does, and then leaver off with a wide screw driver. Some solvents will soften it Methyl Ethyl ketone in the solvent for this type of glue, but it will soften all the glue and may attack the various components of the boot.
It is generally not too bad a job, and getting a sole off generally takes 10 minutes of swearing and levering!

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
I am trying re sole my simms G3 felt wading boots. Iv watched video on you tube and it looks so easy. Im having problems getting old felt soles off, especially round where I put the studs in. Is there any good way in doing this, and is there any solutions that help break down the glue. I did try taking it to shoe repair shop to get them remove old sole and sand down old felt and glue, unfortunately they did not want the job.
Do most people re sole or use them till sole is nearly worn out and buy new ?

Also while Im here what are the new rubber soles like for grip in river on slippery stones etc compared to felt. Are the rubber with studs better than felt with studs for river wading ?
Ive had two pairs removed at cobblers and new soles applied.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Thanks managing to get them off, and got studs out. Found good internet site. Now for the glue. Iv already spread first layer to dry, also bought next pot of glue as instructed.
So all good so far.

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Plastic hand clamps

Thanks managing to get them off, and got studs out. Found good internet site. Now for the glue. Iv already spread first layer to dry, also bought next pot of glue as instructed.
So all good so far.
I found the plastic hand clamps were good for placing all the way round sole and upper,giving good pressure while glue dried.