Rappala advice !?

Lee95

Reaction score
Hoping to do a bit of fishing with Rapala lures this year. I just have a few questions about them, and if anybody could help out I would appreciate it.
-Are they successful in spate conditions?
-Can you fish them in holding pools in low water , like you would let a worm swing round.
-Can you get good heavy ones for casting across a big body of water like the Moy.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before I’m just curious is all.
Thanks 👍👍👍

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Rapalas can be very successful in spate conditions. Use larger and brighter coloured ones the higher and dirtier the river. When I use to use rapalas, my standard lure would be rainbow trout, but if the river was dirty, would switch to a fire tiger. There are 2 versions. Floaters and countdown. The countdowns are slightly heavier and can be cast slightly further. For salmon, in lower water I would use a 7cm, ideal spinning water I would use a 9cm, but in big water would go up to a 11cm. They are very effective lures. They also make fantastic Sewin lures

I know of anglers who have used them fishing in holding pools and have been successful, but ideally you are looking to use them in water up to say 6ft deep, just like good fly water. Don’t fish them in snaggy water as they are a bit pricey.

Deep diving versions are also available, but I have never used them. There are also numerous similar/ copies available, which may be heavier. Hope you have plenty of fun with them.

Lee95

Reaction score
Rapalas can be very successful in spate conditions. Use larger and brighter coloured ones the higher and dirtier the river. When I use to use rapalas, my standard lure would be rainbow trout, but if the river was dirty, would switch to a fire tiger. There are 2 versions. Floaters and countdown. The countdowns are slightly heavier and can be cast slightly further. For salmon, in lower water I would use a 7cm, ideal spinning water I would use a 9cm, but in big water would go up to a 11cm. They are very effective lures. They also make fantastic Sewin lures

I know of anglers who have used them fishing in holding pools and have been successful, but ideally you are looking to use them in water up to say 6ft deep, just like good fly water. Don’t fish them in snaggy water as they are a bit pricey.

Deep diving versions are also available, but I have never used them. There are also numerous similar/ copies available, which may be heavier. Hope you have plenty of fun with them.
Thanks for the advice. Would you favor them over the traditional flying c , (it’s hatd to look past a flying c when fishing a good spinning pool in perfect conditions. ) !

Sewinboy

Reaction score
There’s something tedious about casting a FC a long way and taking a long time to retrieve it, (I have done a lot of it). You will not be able to cast a Rapala as far as a 25, or 32gr FC. Rapalas fish better in fast water than FC, as there is more water resistance with FC in fast water, especially when cast downstream, which causes them to rise in the water. Rapalas will fish deeper in such water, as they rattle from side to side. Casting the FC upstream will avoid this, but then the FC travels very very fast. I tend to see rapalas and FC as 2 different lures for different conditions, but still prefer to fish the Rapala.

I forgot to mention, when you buy rapalas, take the split ring off the front, and tie the lure on using a Rapala knot. You can use the split ring to attach 2 ballbearing swivels together or attach a ballbearing swivels to an anti kink vane for use with FC to stop line twist.

Handel

Reaction score
And don't forget various places have their own rules about rapalas, how many hooks you can leave on - one in the case of the Tweed; what sort of hooks - singles only in Wales; and lots of places don't allow low water spinning at all. Good luck.

doubletaper

Reaction score
I would add that I fish mine off a reel with 25Lb braid as I personally find they cast a lot easier with a lot less effort. As mentioned earlier watch for the rules on certain beats & the Rapala knot is easy and the lure swims better also, I have 50Lb braid attached to a single hook, the braid is tied to the rear then attached to the middle of the lure where the treble was with 5Lb nylon so as it breaks when a fish takes and is a lot more fish friendly. Prefer fishing a Tiger Pattern floater very slowly down and across which works for me when the waters up a little. Good Luck.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Get yourself a few minnex tadpoles go old school.these can be painted to your fav colours and tails to suit.
Currently painting some up for the North esk.
Easier to fish than the big bladed flying c.
IMG-20210330-WA0000.jpeg

RUSH

Reaction score
Hoping to do a bit of fishing with Rapala lures this year. I just have a few questions about them, and if anybody could help out I would appreciate it.
-Are they successful in spate conditions?
-Can you fish them in holding pools in low water , like you would let a worm swing round.
-Can you get good heavy ones for casting across a big body of water like the Moy.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before I’m just curious is all.
Thanks 👍👍👍
These are worth a go and get a lot of salmon https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203369066935?hash=item2f59bdb1b7:g:fn8AAOSwmt1gU61F

rotenone

Reaction score
Rapala and plug fishing is the most interesting type of spinning imho, the reason is they can can be fished at different depths, without added weight and can be cast and fished well on lighter and shorter rods.

You need braid ideally, no need to go less then 20lb, I normally still use 30lb something like suffix 802 or Stren.

They fish better with just one hook attached several ways of rigging them, you lose alot less fish with one hook but the rigs are important otherwise the action is affected.

The action of the rod is important you want a lure rod, but with enough power to land a salmon I still use a savage gear bushwhacker 10 to 40 grams for fishing them its 8foot so a 4000 reel is perfect for balance.

I find them devastating in all but a high dirty flood when I would shoose a spoon or spinner over them.

The ones I use most are vision 110, rapala X raps, countdowns and fat raps
Clown, firetiger are my favorite colours for peaty waters the glass ghost and blue and silver for clear water.

I find them less tiring to fish the action is built into the lure so it just a case or varying the vast and retrieve they can often be fished very slowly over a lie where a spoon or spinner would snag

They have there limitations when distance is required for casting but most times they are adequate providing the rod and braid are balanced with the lure weight

Last edited: