Rapala knot

midgydug

Reaction score
I asked the question in another thread but was swallowed up by a heated debate off topic which often happens.
Does anyone notice a difference after switching to a rapala knot on conventional flies. i.e more success, less tangles, more tangles etc ?

S.preston

Reaction score
It offers better presentation but I found that I've had crack offs in the middle of the loop so switched back to conventional knots as I'd lost faith in it. I was using flourocarbon btw

rotenone

Reaction score
I asked the question in another thread but was swallowed up by a heated debate off topic which often happens.
Does anyone notice a difference after switching to a rapala knot on conventional flies. i.e more success, less tangles, more tangles etc ?
On the rare occasion i fish a standard hook fly , I always use a rapala or lefty kreh loop the reason being is I tend to use heavy copolymer 25lb to 40lb b.s my fishing.

I used a double turle knot for most if my fishing until about 20 years ago and since making the switch to loop knots have not looked back since, the loop knots are quicker and easier to tie especially in bad light, stronger and are better with the stiffer thicker fluorocarbon..

They also allow you to use a wider range of hooks, somenif which eyes are the wrong shape for a turle knot.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I use a knot called the Moy loop which gives the same movement. These kind of knots give more movement, easier to tie, never hinges and doesn't leave a wee link above the knot

ballintemple

Reaction score
I've used a Rapala knot for many years, for forming loops or for fishing singles, in a range of materials from fine to .52mm . Its been extremely reliable, and its the only one I would now use for those applications.

scoops

Reaction score
Never had any issues using rapala knot on any leader material, whether it helps catch more fish or not I’m not sure but certainly gives more free movement of the fly

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
I use it quite a bit with small flies with no issues. I use it all the time when spinning and if i pull for a snag my leader usualy snaps at the blood knot at the swivel rather than the rapala knot.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

squimp

Reaction score
Non-slip mono/Kreh loop for me also. An excellent and strong knot.

Greegs

Reaction score
I use a rapala knot for my fishing.
Never had a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've used the rapala knot for years on fly's for the salmon , I've had no issues with it and like the extra movement
it adds to fly's 👍. I also use it for the wee nymphs and bug's when grayling fishing