Rapala 1 Treble Rigging

Scierra

Reaction score
Rap 1 (2).jpeg

With most fisheries only allowing 1 treble hook on any spinning Rapala/plugs, ?
Most Rapala's are armed with 2 trebles,and originals with 3 , shocker in IMOP.
The vision 110.'s come with 3 trebles . and they are rigged with 2 swivels and split rings with the one treble rig using the top 2 hook rigs and secure the hook on the middle one. the treble being near the tail-less rear.

I like my hook to be nearer the middle than the tail
Below are pics explaining how to rig 2 hook most rapalas , Countdowns and XRaps

My hook ups have greatly increased since using Raps this way as the salmon 90% of takes are in the head region, the treble breaks away from the wire on the loop ,no leverage at all . Mind you with this rig the rapala is always swimming outside the mouth region with the fish in play, in their vision , I find the fish fight even harder ? maybe to escape its prey ?

1, pierce a hole in the centre of the vane , a hot needle is the best way ,

2 using a length of 18/20Lb nylon thread the nylon through the front vane eye loop & take the 2 lengths through the hole in the vane

Rap 6.jpeg

Rap 4.jpeg

Attach a split ring to the treble hook , and knot the 2 lengths of nylon to the split ring . and secure with several twists of copper wire ,,,,most important a split ring for the treble to be free swinging, If the lengths of nylon were attached directly to the hook it would act as a rudder on either side resulting in a very poor action

Rap 9.jpeg

I never trust a rapala knot for line attachment, always a rolling swivel and spit ring, the nylon " must be on the underside of the split ring

Rap 3.jpeg

Rap 2.jpeg

when raps or visions are stripped of their rear treble and split ring ? it looks so unreal there is no tail ,just a loop, looks chronic, , what I do is crimp the loop flat with plyers and grip the rapala in my fly tying vice by the top loop, and tie in a tail , this gives the rap greater lifelike movement

Rap 8 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

tcorfey

Reaction score
Very creative! I have replaced the treble with two split rings and a double, never thought about adding a tail. Good on you for thinking about that. There was a lure I had a long time ago that utilized two split rings with a swivel in between.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Looks good, but we can’t do it in Wales as, unfortunately, trebles are not allowed on spinners – singles only (barbless or de-barbed) although on plugs we can use UP TO 3 singles to replace the 3 trebles on (some) manufactured items.

Handel

Reaction score
Looks good, but we can’t do it in Wales as, unfortunately, trebles are not allowed on spinners – singles only (barbless or de-barbed) although on plugs we can use UP TO 3 singles to replace the 3 trebles on (some) manufactured items.
That was the daftest decision. NRW seemed completely unaware that they have been using Scierra's way of doing things on the Tweed for years. And why replace three hooks with three hooks? So that it is balanced! So the trailing single can still get the fish in the eye.

Scierra

Reaction score
If I had to fish with singles on rapala's I wouldn't waste my time and energy , when they take the lure the singles just push away under the body, . I fished 2 size 2 singles ,never hooked on 4 occasions longest in play 5 seconds approx, 12 yrs ago . NRW ---Nowt Really Works with there stupid hook rules

Scierra

Reaction score
it must have been twenty years ago when a gillie showed me that rig up
The Tweed Carrot rig ? , the line passed through the front loop and through the hole in the vane’ and the eye had to be off set with plyers to correct the action which ever side of the river was fished, and a twist on lead on the tail, , The line then passing through the middle loop with split ring and treble , the split ring acting as a stopper, Trout & Salmon magazine " The Carrot" Original balsa wood floater Flou Orange, 20 yrs ago ?
A Tweed ghillie rigged my mates rapala up as above but took the line around the vane , absolute crap swimming action ,

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
Ask greenlaner2009 if he shows you how to fish the shrimp !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

lax0341

Reaction score
I wouldn't need to ask anyone about the shrimp! Fished it successfully for donkeys years! Only when allowed i may add! But i think these days are long! And maybe for the best! I think thats generally accepted.
I wouldn‘t fish the shrimp but have no problems with it.:cool::D

marty31

Reaction score
I wouldn‘t fish the shrimp but have no problems with it.:cool::D
or me either! I am talking 30 years ago since the terrible deed, and the opposite to what the majority think! its a very skilful method! most of my shrimp fishing was on 6lb nylon, and fished totally non weighted? but please no answers to this post! I am done with know it alls WUMs and folk either just wanting to extract urine or just disagree for the sport in it, I just don't need the hassle of it, thanks