R.I.P. Bertie Auld

keirstream

Reaction score
Bertie was one of the greatest footballing sons ever produced in Scotland.
A true great, full of fun and not an ounce of badness in his entire body.
He was above bigotry, he hated it, and destroyed any of these boundaries any time he encountered it.:)
My favourite story of his was when he was in the tunnel at Ibrox alongside his pal John Greig, waiting to enter the field before a Rangers-Celtic game.
Greig, the Rangers captain, asked Bertie, "what's your win bonus for this game wee man?"
"3 quid" Bertie replied.
"Our's is 6 quid Bertie" says big John.
"Aye" says Bertie,"but I'm guaranteed my 3 quid":ROFLMAO:
One in an absolute billion.
Thoughts with his family at this sad time.
R.I.P. Bertie.:(🍀🍀☘️☘️

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
Another Celtic legend gone condolences to family, friends and the Celtic club, men may die but legends live for ever, Lisbon 67.....anybody surprised that a proud Welshman is a closest Celtic fan.

luney

Reaction score
Bertie was one of the greatest footballing sons ever produced in Scotland.
A true great, full of fun and not an ounce of badness in his entire body.
He was above bigotry, he hated it, and destroyed any of these boundaries any time he encountered it.:)
My favourite story of his was when he was in the tunnel at Ibrox alongside his pal John Greig, waiting to enter the field before a Rangers-Celtic game.
Greig, the Rangers captain, asked Bertie, "what's your win bonus for this game wee man?"
"3 quid" Bertie replied.
"Our's is 6 quid Bertie" says big John.
"Aye" says Bertie,"but I'm guaranteed my 3 quid":ROFLMAO:
One in an absolute billion.
Thoughts with his family at this sad time.
R.I.P. Bertie.:(
Quality Keirstream 😂

keirstream

Reaction score
I remember almost as if it were yesterday as a young boy watching a television screen wide eyed seeing Glasgow Celtic
take on the mighty Internazionale Milan. A defeat for the Italian maestros was unthinkable but those 11 men, all from within a 20 mile radius of Celtic Park knew differently.
In the tunnel, Jinky Johnstone gazed admiringly at these adonis like giants with their coiffured hair styles and bronzed, rippling muscles.
They look great Bertie, says Jimmy.
Aye, Jimmy, replies Bertie, but can they play fitba?????
And legends were made.:)
I was just a boy but I had never missed a home game for 3 seasons but considered too young to travel abroad so I had to sit nerve tingling watching this remarkable scene unfold on our black and white telly in front of my very own eyes.
Kenneth Wolstenholme, the B.B.C. commentator could not believe his eyes. Mark my words, I watched history being made that day and yet wee Bertie remained nonplussed, even when Sandro Mazzola scored an early penalty.
He orchestrated wave after wave of Celtic attacks until Jim Craig cut a ball back and Tommy Gemmell lashed it into the net.
At that point, there was always going to be only one winner as Celtic, inspired by Bertie, kept the swarthy supermen on the ropes and when Stevie Chalmers knocked in the winner in 83 minutes it was game over. Celtic were European Champs. They had broken the strangleholds of Real Madrid, Inter et all and opened the floodgates for British teams to follow. They were undoubtedly the best club team in the world that season and yet it all came back down to earth when I went to Celtic Park to see the team parade the cup to a packed stadium on the back of an old coal lorry.:ROFLMAO:
Whites and Kellys at their finest.:eek:
Anyway, I'm positive it all happened because of Bertie's boundless belief in his team's abilities.
Aye, Jimmy, but can they play fitba?????(y)
At an event celebrating the 50th anniversary of this amazing feat a few years ago, the M.C. asked Bertie about modern techniques and training methods and whether the Lisbon Lions would beat the current Rangers team?
Well son, Bertie replied, The game is awfy technical now with sports therapists and scientists and fancy drinks and foods right enough.
But, I think we would still beat the current Rangers team, aye, but it would be tight right enough, maybe 1-0 or 2-1.
But, son, you have to remember, half of our team are over 70 now and the other half are deid, so, aye, it would be tight.:ROFLMAO:
This signed portrait hangs on my foyer wall, with an original match programme, greeting everyone who enters my house and is a constant reminder to me of that unforgettable day back in 1967.
Wee Bertie is right foreground.
R.I.P.wee man.🍀🍀💚💚

LisbonLions.jpg

Greegs

Reaction score
I met Bertie years ago in the horseshoe bar.

I had to squeeze in beside him & his friend to get to the bar.
Asked them if they wanted a drink & got blethering to him.

Didn’t recognise him but knew his face was familiar.
We got talking about the fitba & he was having good banter as I’m a Rangers man.

His friend says to me do you know who he is when I went to the toilet.
When he came back I stood & spoke to him for ages before we left.

I was in the horseshoe about 3 months later & he shouted me over by my name & with the amount of people he would speak to on a daily basis then it said it all to me.

An absolute gentleman & they don’t make them like him anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rs2ford

Reaction score
Sadly not many of the Lisbon Lions left and he was one of the best. Can only imagine how much fun it must have been with Bertie and Wee Jinky on a night out. Character's like him are sadly lacking in the game today. RIP Bertie 🍀💚.

AwesomeOrchy

Reaction score
Sadly not many of the Lisbon Lions left and he was one of the best. Can only imagine how much fun it must have been with Bertie and Wee Jinky on a night out. Character's like him are sadly lacking in the game today. RIP Bertie 🍀💚.
My Grandpa's brother brought wee Jinky down to Dunlop for some rough shooting when I was a wee lad. I had to give him my gun which I was no happy with at the time. Anyway the wee man was better at fitba than shooting 🤣