Quinn Shrimp

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks SA!

This is quite an old pattern and was listed in Malone's book.

Some suggest that the Wilkinson is based on this fly and as it is much simpler to tie, the Quinn fell out of fashion a bit.
Funny, that was my first thought when I saw your flee - a Wilkinson. Braw tying as ever.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Funny, that was my first thought when I saw your flee - a Wilkinson. Braw tying as ever.
Thanks Westie! πŸ™‚

It isn't a pattern I've used too often myself although I do like the way it looks. It is a lovely old pattern.

I know a few who do very well on it here.

simonjh98

Reaction score
Lovely tying! Is there a good way to stop the Oval coating splitting when I tie with it? I love these patterns but I find the oval splits on me showing the undercoating too often. Maybe a coat of varnish ontop of it?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Lovely tying! Is there a good way to stop the Oval coating splitting when I tie with it? I love these patterns but I find the oval splits on me showing the undercoating too often. Maybe a coat of varnish ontop of it?
A flat base is the only way to get oval tinsel to sit right. If the thread isn't flat, there's no chance of getting neat touching turns.

simonjh98

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't describe my problem well enough. I can tie the oval alright but I find that the actual gold or silver coating of the oval itself starts to peel off . Im using the veniards stuff at the moment and after a while of fishing the coating more or less disintegrates.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't describe my problem well enough. I can tie the oval alright but I find that the actual gold or silver coating of the oval itself starts to peel off . Im using the veniards stuff at the moment and after a while of fishing the coating more or less disintegrates.
I use veevus tinsel with no real problems

gwelsher

Reaction score
Nice tying Richard but I can't quite make up my mind on the Orange tail either. I think I prefer the undyed tail.

Quinn Shrimp.jpg

Im using the veniards stuff at the moment and after a while of fishing the coating more or less disintegrates.
When I tie tinsel bodies, Oval or Flat, I always coat the hook with superglue before winding the tinsel. Then I give it a coat of Sally and it is bullet proof.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Naw that orange tail is god awful Gary! :ROFLMAO: I'll have to give Steve a shout to see have he has a decent repacement.