Quick morning tie

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Here is a quick tie from this morning.....Scandi tube in steelhead colours tied on a 1cm brass US tube. Nothing fancy but a good ‘fishing’ fly.

Thanks for looking!
Serge
A299D209-4FF1-4021-A59C-256354B963E7.jpeg

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Steelhead seem to like ‘loud colours’ more than salmon, for which this would be a high/off colour water fly or falling spate as mentioned..

One of my favourites for steelhead is the Pahtagorva, with fiery brown gold and a bit of orange it is a beautiful colour combo. But I know a lot of steelhead fishermen do like pink and magenta colours with often some black contrast.
It’s good to be versatile - there is a lot of casting in between steelhead these days!

westie4566

Reaction score
Steelhead seem to like ‘loud colours’ more than salmon, for which this would be a high/off colour water fly or falling spate as mentioned..

One of my favourites for steelhead is the Pahtagorva, with fiery brown gold and a bit of orange it is a beautiful colour combo. But I know a lot of steelhead fishermen do like pink and magenta colours with often some black contrast.
It’s good to be versatile - there is a lot of casting in between steelhead these days!
I'm very fond of magenta in my salmon flies too, especially in peaty water.

That said I've had grilse in clear water on a size 14 magenta cascade.

Rennie

Reaction score
Have you been looking in my Box Tubular Spey?, that's a fine flee ( oops!, that word again!) for what back end fish's are left these days.Good on a falling water with a drop of colour. Secret tip of the day is, a metallic look to the body, but cut right back on the glitzy flashy stuff!. Do it about 1/2 the overall size too!
(y) , Pedro.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our steelhead trout in North America are as close as we get to your Atlantic Salmon not that they are related by species but their habits are somewhat similar. When I had the 2020 trip to Scotland planned many people warned me that I shouldn't expect the number of salmon I would be fishing over in Alaska but it is my steelhead fishing I will rely on when I finally make it over to you.

Looks now as though 2022 is the year of the Alaskan invasion fellows and don't fret the numbers on my account. I may change up and decide on Springers.