Questions about fishing the Ponoi

tpak

Reaction score
Well I just sent in my deposit check for my inaugural trip to the Ponoi next summer (week of Aug. 16-23). I have been reading with great relish all of the great information on this forum, especially the detailed reports from Springer. I have received the Frontiers pre-trip info with suggested tackle, but I have two questions and wanted to tap the collective wisdom:

1. Frontiers recommends DH rods of 13-15 feet in 9-11 weight. That seems on the heavy side to me, since very few fish are over 20 lbs. While I do have a 14' 9W, I was also planning to bring a 13'2" 8W and 12'6" 7W. Would those latter two rods be too light?

2. Frontiers also suggests 9' knotless tapered leaders. I would normally use 10' polyleaders with just 3-4' of tippet tied to the end. Would that work OK? A full 9' leader at the end of my polyleader would be too much and hard to cast, I would think.

Thanks
Thomas

Springer

Reaction score
Well I just sent in my deposit check for my inaugural trip to the Ponoi next summer (week of Aug. 16-23). I have been reading with great relish all of the great information on this forum, especially the detailed reports from Springer. I have received the Frontiers pre-trip info with suggested tackle, but I have two questions and wanted to tap the collective wisdom:

1. Frontiers recommends DH rods of 13-15 feet in 9-11 weight. That seems on the heavy side to me, since very few fish are over 20 lbs. While I do have a 14' 9W, I was also planning to bring a 13'2" 8W and 12'6" 7W. Would those latter two rods be too light?

2. Frontiers also suggests 9' knotless tapered leaders. I would normally use 10' polyleaders with just 3-4' of tippet tied to the end. Would that work OK? A full 9' leader at the end of my polyleader would be too much and hard to cast, I would think.

Thanks
Thomas

All the rods you mention will be fine Thomas. In that week you will most likely be fishing 10' intermediate polyleaders from a floating line. A floating shooting head like the AFS is the most versatile option as the fish in that part of the season often prefer the fly stripped fast, a shooting head is perfect for this. I use a 13'3 rod rated 9/10 and its perfect, I have also had good fun with lighter rods although from the boat its better to have something in the 9/10 class.

You dont need tapered leaders, 6'-10' of 23lb Seaguar or 18lb Maxima (0.37mm) will be fine. The guides will make sure your tackle is set up properly if you are in any way unsure. There is a tackle shop in camp with literally everything you could ever need to fish Ponoi so you wont go short.

Be sure to tie yourself up some Ponoi Gold's, you will have a wicked time for sure! :)

jimmylong

Reaction score
All the rods you mention will be fine Thomas. In that week you will most likely be fishing 10' intermediate polyleaders from a floating line. A floating shooting head like the AFS is the most versatile option as the fish in that part of the season often prefer the fly stripped fast, a shooting head is perfect for this. I use a 13'3 rod rated 9/10 and its perfect, I have also had good fun with lighter rods although from the boat its better to have something in the 9/10 class.

You dont need tapered leaders, 6'-10' of 23lb Seaguar or 18lb Maxima (0.37mm) will be fine. The guides will make sure your tackle is set up properly if you are in any way unsure. There is a tackle shop in camp with literally everything you could ever need to fish Ponoi so you wont go short.

Be sure to tie yourself up some Ponoi Gold's, you will have a wicked time for sure! :)

I am intrigued as to what that tackle shop sells , my thinking is the guides know what is the best gear for the river coupled with most of the visitors likely know their stuff and are not short of a few bob .
What gear do they sell Springer ,tackle tarts of the forum need to know what rod you can by if you snap your rod then bust your backup and your backup for your backup has been lost by the airline

Iolar

Reaction score
I am intrigued as to what that tackle shop sells , my thinking is the guides know what is the best gear for the river coupled with most of the visitors likely know their stuff and are not short of a few bob .
What gear do they sell Springer ,tackle tarts of the forum need to know what rod you can by if you snap your rod then bust your backup and your backup for your backup has been lost by the airline

Each of the boats carries a spare rod and at least one reel in the event of rod breakage on the river. Spare rods are also available in Ryabaga camp. The tackle shop sells an interesting selection of very effective flies, some tied by the guides, and merchandise.

tpak

Reaction score
Thanks, I plan to bring two spare rods (three altogether), so if I got through all those, then I'm in big trouble! I have read that the shop at Ryagaba is well stocked with flies and am planning to bring a relatively limited number of my own flies and purchase flies there because they should have all the current, hot patterns, which can change from week to week depending on water/weather conditions.

Thomas

Springer

Reaction score

They have rods by Sage, Hardy, T&T and even B&W, reels by Nautilus and Danielsson. People seldom buy rods/reels but I think a healthy trade is done in lines, flies and Ponoi branded Simms clothing.

The point of the shop is to be able to provide whatever you need should you break something, forget it or lose it in transit. There is loan product from all of those manufacturers so it never means you need to buy a rod if you break yours, just borrow a camp rod. Some fishers I know dont take rods, preferring to borrow them and avoiding the risk of losing them in transit.

A friend of mine (not mentioning any names sam7 :eek:) managed to break both of his rods in a week then borrowed one from another friend and broke that one to! By the end of the week I wouldnt sit next to him at dinner in case he accidentally touched me!

David B

Reaction score
Good old Sam he now has a 45' 20 piece rod

;)
They have rods by Sage, Hardy, T&T and even B&W, reels by Nautilus and Danielsson. People seldom buy rods/reels but I think a healthy trade is done in lines, flies and Ponoi branded Simms clothing.

The point of the shop is to be able to provide whatever you need should you break something, forget it or lose it in transit. There is loan product from all of those manufacturers so it never means you need to buy a rod if you break yours, just borrow a camp rod. Some fishers I know dont take rods, preferring to borrow them and avoiding the risk of losing them in transit.

A friend of mine (not mentioning any names sam7 :eek:) managed to break both of his rods in a week then borrowed one from another friend and broke that one to! By the end of the week I wouldnt sit next to him at dinner in case he accidentally touched me!