Question on Rio SSVT lines

kenny007

Reaction score
I have the above in a 7# but was wanting an 8# too. My question is 2 part really.

1. Can the tip's from a 7# be used on a 8 or 9 body?

2. Can you buy the body only?

Any help greatly apriciated

ibm59

Reaction score

Richardgw

Reaction score
Yes to both.

The line you’re looking for is the Scandi Body. Not to be confused with the Scandi head.

I totally agree. You can use a variety of different tips on these bodies both above and below the weight of the specific Rio tips so there is no need to buy a new set of tips for a heavier/lighter body.

A lighter tip actually helps line speed. Put a 7 weight tip on a 9 weight body and it flies, it almost seems to casts itself. You may need to be a bit more careful with your anchor and perhaps feather the running line to aid turnover but it is still very very fishable.

lax0341

Reaction score
The #8 is just arrived. It‘s a bit thinner than the #9 which I use for my 13ft and 14ft rods.
The number 8 is for my 12ft rod now.

Last edited:

Greegs

Reaction score
The #8 is just arrived. It‘s a bit thinner than the #9 which I use for my 13ft and 14ft rod.
The number 8 is for my 12ft rod now.

I use it on my 12ft greyline & it’s a brilliant line.

I also use the tips from that on my afs head & NI1 heads & lts short heads in heavier weights & still flies out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Fully agree with all above, I have 8,9 10 and 11# with only 2 St's of tips to cover. I've been using some of the Hardy 12ft tips last season also, found them very good, and considerably cheaper at £12 each. Got them in the sale.

I just tried to find some details on the Hardy tips but there are no lines whatsoever on the Hardy website. Am I going blind or have Hardy stopped producing lines?

NEbody

Reaction score
I just tried to find some details on the Hardy tips but there are no lines whatsoever on the Hardy website. Am I going blind or have Hardy stopped producing lines?

The “new, improved“ Hardy website has some notable omissions. There are no lines, no HBX or Demon rods, no Perfect or Bougle reels or the new, much-advertised Ultralite reels. I suspect they might appear in due course.

The Rocket Scandi lines and tips have been reduced by most sellers over the last few months so maybe they’re being replaced or just quietly dropped. The standard tips weigh 123gr/8g and the light ones are 92gr/6g, according to the GAC website.

mc andy

Reaction score

They do them in light scandi 6to8#.and scandi 8 to 11# info above. I'm not sure if there weight. But use the light version on my 8# scandi body fine.

Cheers andy

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Thanks for that NEbody and Andy, that's exactly what I needed to know regarding weights. I have the 7# SSVT set up but want to get the #9 body for another rod without spending too much on more tips, the Hardy tips look like a good idea to save a few quid, they're half the price of the individual Rio ones. And now I know the #7 tips I already have should work pretty well too.

lax0341

Reaction score
Bear in mind Stewart4wd that the tips that come with SSVT’s are 10ft long and the Hardy ones are 12ft long. Won’t be a bad thing right enough but better you know.
Pedro.
That‘s the case but in my opinion the 10ft Rio ones fit shorter rods better than the 12ft or 15ft tips.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
That‘s the case but in my opinion the 10ft Rio ones fit shorter rods better than the 12ft or 15ft tips.
If I go the Hardy route, I’ll buy just one first and see how it performs. It’s a 13’ rod so I think they’ll be ok.

bassfly

Reaction score
I think to much importance is being put on getting the right tips. The body of an ssvt can be used in a multitude of ways and I spent a lot of time experimenting with an 8# body and tips of 10ft, 12ft and even 15ft on a 11ft Switch 8# rod. I used floating and a variety of sink rate tips including T tips from 8 to 20 grains per foot. 15ft of T20 was pushing it a bit but only because of the rod length. You will find that most rods have a wide grain window and can cope with a wide variety of weight either side of, in this case, its 8# rating.