Quality Bucktail

Night Hawk

Reaction score
Looking for good quality bucktail. Can anyone recommend a reliable source please.
Thanks in advance.
NH

rotenone

Reaction score
Hareline, wapsi or Stanton the first 2 you need to buy by sight but ard generally very good Sean quality controls and straightens his tails so they are consistently good

Rennie

Reaction score
You might be struggling to actually get any!.
I was in Norris's 4 weeks back and they had 1- One - yes a single, solitary, on its own, only one left in the shop - one Bucktail left and that was a manky well picked over Orange one!.
I tried two well know big shops on my way oop North and faired little better.
Take note on the shelves in your local Supermarkets, they can't get food, what chance bits of dead animals for flee tyer's!
Best of luck with your search, Pedro.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll have a look at the suppliers over the weekend and make a decision on who's to go for. I'll get back with some feedback once I've tied a few flies.
Thanks again
NH

Sawyer

Reaction score
I have found Wapsi to be hit & miss (I assume the posters advice to buy on site), had very good & really not so. Not just Bucktail at the moment, I desperately need some deep red arctic runner & it’s out of stock everywhere!

chriswjx

Reaction score
I'm hoping I might be able to find some nice tails at the Scottish Game Fair, if their pictures of the fly tying sections are to be believed.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
Just some feedback to let you know that I ordered 3 bucktails from Sean Stanton (Franc n Snaelda) and received them next day for £3.50 postage, which I think is reasonable and excellent service. As for the tails, well I'm absolutely delighted with the quality and now looking forward to tying with them through the winter months. Thanks to all for your recommendations.
Regards
NH

Night Hawk

Reaction score
If you can see it first then that's definitely the best option, i've lost count of the amount of bucktails I have that were bought online and turned out to be awful (either the hairs were as thick as pencils or super curly like pubes)
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sean Stanton bucktails. They do cost a bit more but are really very good quality and sent in individual / appropriate sized packaging (no pencils or curly pubes from there :ROFLMAO:)