Qu on Guideline Vosso HD 911 + Review of Lamson Guru S 9HD (post #43)

JoeE

Reaction score
I bought a Danielsson 8/12, ordered it Sunday had it Tuesday at 11 o'clock.
Can't complain about their Customer Service.
I also have a vosso 6/8.
Comparing the two I'd go with the Vosso over the Danielsson, there are a few little niggly things that don't sit right with the Danielson, asthecially it's not the same as the Vosso there are posi drive screws holding the reel seat and the handle instead of flat head on the Danielsson.
And another small thing I paid for the Danielsson 386 euros with a spare spool delivered it was taking out of the bank a/c a few days later I noticed some sort of charge 7 or 8 euros on the a/c I presume it has something to do with the order of the reel and was never mentioned when the reel was purchased.
It's not about the 7 or 8 bucks its the principal.
That be the banks lovely international charge surely

astrofox

Reaction score
Last edited:

astrofox

Reaction score
is the guideline vosso any good, what do they sound like when playing a fish, the Halo is very quiet and a bit boring nice looking reel but not for me, is the Vosso louder? i returned the Halo and now wondering if the Vosso has a loud/medium sound?

Attachments

• vosso.jpg
    vosso.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 24

JoeE

Reaction score
is the guideline vosso any good, what do they sound like when playing a fish, the Halo is very quiet and a bit boring nice looking reel but not for me, is the Vosso louder? i returned the Halo and now wondering if the Vosso has a loud/medium sound?

both are close in the noise dept

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks for that, im looking for a modern reel with a nice click, do you know if the guideline quadra has the click

Another option is the Lamson Guru S. I have the Litespeed for my trout rod and that has a lovely click. I’m hoping the Guru is the same.

astrofox

Reaction score
Another option is the Lamson Guru S. I have the Litespeed for my trout rod and that has a lovely click. I’m hoping the Guru is the same.
Thank's, i will have a look at that one, the click makes all the difference when playing fish.

Icelander05

Reaction score
I like Lamson reels too and bought a Guru 9 recently. Nice reel but only for rods to max. 13 ft. imho. I have no idea why they do offer most of their reels in smaller sizes only. The old Modell Guru 4, which I also do have, would be the right bet. Nevertheless I don't think you be wrong buying a Vosso.
Icelander05

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I use the halo 7/9DH and its an amazing piece of kit well priced from guideline to be fair, only a quiet reel but man it's stunning 🎣👍

astrofox

Reaction score
I like Lamson reels too and bought a Guru 9 recently. Nice reel but only for rods to max. 13 ft. imho. I have no idea why they do offer most of their reels in smaller sizes only. The old Modell Guru 4, which I also do have, would be the right bet. Nevertheless I don't think you be wrong buying a Vosso.
Icelander05
Thanks for the info

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine should arrive in a day or two and so I’ll try and put a video up for you - unless it has no click! :oops:
When this post first appeared Iain I went directly to the Guideline website and nearly ordered on but stopped just short because the weight was the same as a reel I already own. I've got a new GaelForce rod to fish this season and wanted a fairly light reel for it. I'll be watching for your review on the new addition.

Ard

iainmortimer

Reaction score
When this post first appeared Iain I went directly to the Guideline website and nearly ordered on but stopped just short because the weight was the same as a reel I already own. I've got a new GaelForce rod to fish this season and wanted a fairly light reel for it. I'll be watching for your review on the new addition.

Ard
That was my thought. I currently have a budget end Wychwood Truefly 9/11 for my 13' #8/9 which balances perfectly and is very light. Finding something robust but as light was a challenge and so in addition to loving my Lamson trout reel, its weight was a big deciding factor. The price difference was the final piece of the jigsaw for me. Delivery should occur today or tomorrow and so I shall soon discover if it was a wise choice!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Rubbish! Not the reel but the fact that I have been pinged by track and trace for 10 days isolation 😬. Could be worse as I can get tested on the NHS scheme at work every day which of negative means I carry on as usual but obviously that can’t happen when not at work and so I’m confined to the house aaarrrrrghhhhh

On the positive though my Lamson Guru S 9HD has arrived. First impressions before I’d even opened the parcel was “Is this just the extra polyleaders I’ve ordered, it doesn’t feel heavy enough to have a reel in it!”

Thankfully, those fears were soon put to bed. It wasn’t a case of Amazon over packaging for there nestled beneath the leaders was a reel box. So first off, excellent news on the weight. The reel is indeed super lightweight while still feeling strong and looking great.

7915D2F6-8B5D-48D8-B906-BFC4686655D2.jpeg

The sound is also much the same as on my little Lamson Litespeed. Similar sound level albeit a little deeper. Also like the trout reel it does click both in and out. That doesn’t bother me though as most of the time I’m not winding in anyway and in the heat of battle I really don’t notice that.

The other aspect some people quote is that removing the spool can be tricky. It’s a problem I have never had and this reel is no different. If anything, it is even easier than my little trout reel as it’s bigger. I couldn’t get the video’s to post here and so see my other two posts below - which I got in the wrong order 🙄

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Easy way to remove the spool: hold the near frame with the drag knob pointing towards you; then apply both thumbs to the spool and push. Voila.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Easy way to remove the spool: hold the near frame with the drag knob pointing towards you; then apply both thumbs to the spool and push. Voila.
Agreed. I’ve never had a problem and it beats having to unscrew things that can get dropped and lost!

astrofox

Reaction score
Rubbish! Not the reel but the fact that I have been pinged by track and trace for 10 days isolation 😬. Could be worse as I can get tested on the NHS scheme at work every day which of negative means I carry on as usual but obviously that can’t happen when not at work and so I’m confined to the house aaarrrrrghhhhh

On the positive though my Lamson Guru S 9HD has arrived. First impressions before I’d even opened the parcel was “Is this just the extra polyleaders I’ve ordered, it doesn’t feel heavy enough to have a reel in it!”

Thankfully, those fears were soon put to bed. It wasn’t a case of Amazon over packaging for there nestled beneath the leaders was a reel box. So first off, excellent news on the weight. The reel is indeed super lightweight while still feeling strong and looking great.

View attachment 61381
The sound is also much the same as on my little Lamson Litespeed. Similar sound level albeit a little deeper. Also like the trout reel it does click both in and out. That doesn’t bother me though as most of the time I’m not winding in anyway and in the heat of battle I really don’t notice that.

View attachment 61384

The other aspect some people quote is that removing the spool can be tricky. It’s a problem I have never had and this reel is no different. If anything, it is even easier than my little trout reel as it’s bigger. I couldn’t get the video’s to post here and so see my other two posts below - which I got in the wrong order 🙄
Nice review and the sound is perfect, thanks, Sorry to here about the 10 days isolation. i had to do the same in January, 2 porters i work with both tested+ i was lucky being - and got 10 days off work. It was ok being off work however when your thinking about Fishing that changes everything! hope the time passes quick and therefore you can test your new reel.

Dave.

astrofox

Reaction score
Im going to buy a Lamson Guru s, not a reel i concidered before since i have a Hardy Trout reel and Scierra Traxion 3 for Salmon, this one i want to replace since it's Smooth but quiet, maybe your review has converted me, will see how it goes.
Not keen on the olive, you were lucky to get one, the smoked colour is out of stock, will have a look again tomorrow.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Im going to buy a Lamson Guru s, not a reel i concidered before since i have a Hardy Trout reel and Scierra Traxion 3 for Salmon, this one i want to replace since it's Smooth but quiet, maybe your review has converted me, will see how it goes.
Not keen on the olive, you were lucky to get one, the smoked colour is out of stock, will have a look again tomorrow.
I agree with you, I don’t like the Olive at all. Have you tried Sportfish ?