PVC chesties???

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Right,

Needing a pair of PVC's for the saltwater and to leave rattling about in the pick up

No interest in using breathables, my Simms do me fine for all my other fishing...so...

I used to have an ancient pair of Oceans that were tough, but heard the quality has dropped severely? True? Or no?

Vass 700's and 740's, seem to get good reviews online?
Any real world Vass wader users?

Viking pvc chesties? Any good?

I'll only need good tough pvc jobs for short walk to beach, easy pull on/off but able to withstand the salty harshness, to be maintenance free but one requirement is a decent boot on them

Any input most welcome

Cheers

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I use the even cheaper vass 600 waders CB.

My current pair are around 3 years old. I have a pair of stocking foot breathables in the shed but haven't worn them this season at all. Far too handy to pull on the auld cheapos and head down the field.

No idea what they'd be like in salt water but I've no complaints. Other than a few pin holes due to wear and tear with barbed wire and thorn bushes, and a dab of aquasure to patch them, they're still going strong.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have a pair of Snowbee PVC, bootfoot chesties, around 15 years old, they never leaked when used a lot, and still no leaks when tested this year, the material is still subtle, no stiffening, probably will get binned, but only through having a clear out, just too many pairs gathering dust!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Cheers gents,

Probably erring towards the Vass jobs👍

I have had Snowbee in the past but the boot wasn't that supportive and the sole was thin.. it was their cheapest nylon ones to be fair, get what you pay for I suppose and things may have changed.

Anyway, I appreciate the input👍👍

AlanT

Reaction score
Ive had a pair of Vass for 4 years. Bombproof and they have the bonus of having built in studs. They are made tight around the calves so if you have fat legs youd better try before you buy :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 pairs of Ocean pvc waders in the last 20 years and my last pair that I bought about 5-6 years ago are still going strong, and they’ve had hard repetitive use, often in the salt and up on Skye I’ve fished over the hardest and sharpest rocks and they’ve been brilliant. I do hear good reports of the Vass waders from my sea fishing friends as well.

Fergal1975

Reaction score
Vaas and ocean are both hard wearing. I recently binned a pair of oceans but only because I drew a saw blade across the shins when bank clearing. Replaced with Vaas 700s and they are great. Be warned though, your balls will cook if you have to walk any distance in warm weather.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Vaas and ocean are both hard wearing. I recently binned a pair of oceans but only because I drew a saw blade across the shins when bank clearing. Replaced with Vaas 700s and they are great. Be warned though, your balls will cook if you have to walk any distance in warm weather.
My first ever pair of chesties were oceans Fergal, the miles I did in those bad boys was unreal, but agree'd, all PVC jobs are indeed boil in the bag !!!
Luckily, these are for the less energetic areas...(y)

Woodsy

Reaction score
I'm on my third pair of waders in 3 years, usually fish about 20 days a year . This year I bought a reconditioned pair of snowbee stx from diver dave which are felt sole boot fit. Soles almost all fell off one sunny day and I've ripped them in a few places from brambles and wire. The seams are probably letting in a little too or a few holes ived missed.

I'm tempted to buy a pair of those oceon or vass at around 50 quid on eBay, I'm really fed up with wader repairs.

Just how bad are the pvcs for heat ? I would do quite a lot of walking in a day. It sounds like its either sweat from pvc or water letting in from breathable...

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm on my third pair of waders in 3 years, usually fish about 20 days a year . This year I bought a reconditioned pair of snowbee stx from diver dave which are felt sole boot fit. Soles almost all fell off one sunny day and I've ripped them in a few places from brambles and wire. The seams are probably letting in a little too or a few holes ived missed.

I'm tempted to buy a pair of those oceon or vass at around 50 quid on eBay, I'm really fed up with wader repairs.

Just how bad are the pvcs for heat ? I would do quite a lot of walking in a day. It sounds like its either sweat from pvc or water letting in from breathable...
At this time of the year you'll probably not notice too much difference. It's really only on warm summer days that you will properly over heat in PVCs.

I really don't find the Vass ones too bad at all.

Elibank

Reaction score
I’ve got two pairs of Oceans, one chesties, one thigh waders - both well over 12 years old, the latter still in use. The chesties have been replaced by Vass 700s, which seem to have a thicker material, but the Crown Jewels are still undamaged.

tynedale

Reaction score
I would also thoroughly recommend considering 'fishing waders' as above link, but be sure to get the procast version as they have much better boots (however not now dunlop as advertised as dunlop reduced the sole size hence no depth for studs) They now use a top branded boot from Italy. I my view they are better quality than Vass, better fitting (boots) and are more comfortable
Having tramped quite a distance in the heat yesterday - no overheating problem
I would not now go back to breathable for the reasons you mention.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. So if I was a size 12, sometimes a size 12.5 for hiking boots would a 12 be ok for these waders?

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. So if I was a size 12, sometimes a size 12.5 for hiking boots would a 12 be ok for these waders?
If it helps, I'm a #11 and the #11 vass boots are juat about right with thicker socks, the body is a very generous size though, you'll get plenty layers underneath if you need to.
I need a wader belt to keep the material gathered around the body

gcp1987

Reaction score

Bought exactly the same pair of Snowbee STX waders ,felt sole boot fit and the felt sole is just so poorly attached to the boot... Probably doesn't help that I have been using them in salt a lot. I would imagine the salt just gets into the felt and as it dries the crystals form and expand where the felt meets the boot... Have trashed a few pairs of breathables and boots (Scierra) over the last few years because of saltwater use. I know salt is very harsh but it does highlight how poorly put together some of these waders (especially boots) are...

I'm certainly in the market for some PVC chesties and have been doing some research- Woodsy its probably a bit late but quite like the look of the Snowbee 210D Wadermaster- a few pockets and they look pretty solid... sold out in quite a few places though- Exeter angling have some in stock I think but doesn't specify if they are FB or not.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive just grabbed some ocean delux pvc waders with the studded soles. They were unused on ebay and going cheap. Im down to 1 pair of breathables that dont leak but they have that much seam sealer on that they dont really breathe anyway. Ill keep them for fishing with long walks etc and use the pvc ones for fishing through rough banks as if they get destroyed im not too botherd.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Woodsy

Reaction score
Bought exactly the same pair of Snowbee STX waders ,felt sole boot fit and the felt sole is just so poorly attached to the boot... Probably doesn't help that I have been using them in salt a lot. I would imagine the salt just gets into the felt and as it dries the crystals form and expand where the felt meets the boot... Have trashed a few pairs of breathables and boots (Scierra) over the last few years because of saltwater use. I know salt is very harsh but it does highlight how poorly put together some of these waders (especially boots) are...

I'm certainly in the market for some PVC chesties and have been doing some research- Woodsy its probably a bit late but quite like the look of the Snowbee 210D Wadermaster- a few pockets and they look pretty solid... sold out in quite a few places though- Exeter angling have some in stock I think but doesn't specify if they are FB or not.
They are a very comfortable set of wader but as you say, felt soles are useless. I have re-glued them with tigerglue which will get me to the end of the season hopefully.