Pupdates------The Hill

keirstream

Reaction score
After a full week of running endlessly every day on the Conon and sitting patiently at every pool waiting for the rod to bend,
the wee pup has grown up. At the tender age of (nearly) 20 weeks she is doing everything right and has enjoyed a life so far that most pups can only dream about. I met a girl out on a walk this evening with a Cockapoo straining on the lead and Breagha wanting to play with her. The girl said that her dog had never been off the lead as she was frightened she would run away. Never been off a lead in a year! Such a shame.:(
Breagha has only been on the lead near roads as pups don't understand traffic dangers. All other times she has never been on a lead since our very first walk together. She is a much more rounded and contented pup for that.:)
Today, we tackled her 1st hill, nothing severe, a circuit of our local reservoir, North Third near Stirling, on a path that climbs probably about 300 feet in quite a short distance. Total circuit time of around 1.5 hours and I had to force her into the car at the end of the walk. She wanted more, much more.:D
She sure is maturing fast. Soon be time for some serious training, but--------not yet.
Still some puppy time to go.(y)
The last photo is our snooze together tonight.:sleep::sleep:
I

Attachments

• Breagha41905.jpg
    Breagha41905.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 100
  • Breagha31905.jpg
    Breagha31905.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Breagha21905.jpg
    Breagha21905.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Breagha11905.jpg
    Breagha11905.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Breagha1905.jpg
    Breagha1905.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Breagha51905.jpg
    Breagha51905.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
You two seem very well suited, like Jarvis, always wants to sit on your head for some reason? any dog experts on here that can explain that behaviour?
😁:love:
You mean like this morning Malc?
I'm not sure whether it is just Cocker pup exuberance but I get it regularly when she decides she wants to take me for a walk and I don't respond. She simply racks up the ante until, like Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent in H.H.G.T.T.G. , I realise that resistance is futile.:ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I just ignore her to wind her up and then the real guerilla tactics emerge, the nibbling of my toes, pulling my socks off or going into the hall and bringing me my walking boots in one by one along with her lead.
It is fascinating behaviour and I expect dog psychologists will be able to explain it.
Me? I'd rather I didn't know and just enjoy it.(y)

Attachments

• BreaghaPreWalk.jpg
    BreaghaPreWalk.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 75

Tyke777

Reaction score
You mean like this morning Malc?
I'm not sure whether it is just Cocker pup exuberance but I get it regularly when she decides she wants to take me for a walk and I don't respond. She simply racks up the ante until, like Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent in H.H.G.T.T.G. , I realise that resistance is futile.:ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I just ignore her to wind her up and then the real guerilla tactics emerge, the nibbling of my toes, pulling my socks off or going into the hall and bringing me my walking boots in one by one along with her lead.
It is fascinating behaviour and I expect dog psychologists will be able to explain it.
Me? I'd rather I didn't know and just enjoy it.(y)
Exactly Tom, for some reason Jarvis always wants to be sat certainly at least on my lap, happier on my shoulders - goodness know why?
He is happy just to be with me - at the moment just laid next to my desk in the office.

I am really pleased that you succumbed finally and got yourself another canine companion, it will make your fishing twice as much fun, its not all about the fishing - wait until he tries to help you land a fish ;)🤞🎣

Have you given any thought about getting him some tick protection?, he will be ploughing through some real Tick invested areas I imagine this year, awful damn things.

Attachments

• Jarvis office.jpg
    Jarvis office.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 72

keirstream

Reaction score
Exactly Tom, for some reason Jarvis always wants to be sat certainly at least on my lap, happier on my shoulders - goodness know why?
He is happy just to be with me - at the moment just laid next to my desk in the office.

I am really pleased that you succumbed finally and got yourself another canine companion, it will make your fishing twice as much fun, its not all about the fishing - wait until he tries to help you land a fish ;)🤞🎣

Have you given any thought about getting him some tick protection?, he will be ploughing through some real Tick invested areas I imagine this year, awful damn things.
She is already on a vet pet plan which includes a monthly tick, flea and worm treatment.
She spent a week with me on the Conon with 2 other dogs which both had ticks attached at several stages through the week.
Not a single one attached to the wee girl at all.(y)
Here she is with her new pal Rowan in the back of the car and settling down for a snooze in the cottage.
The view from the cottage window will give you some idea of the amount of ticks about.:(

Attachments

• CottageViewConon.jpg
    CottageViewConon.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 69
  • HouseCageConon.jpg
    HouseCageConon.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 62
  • CarCageConon.jpg
    CarCageConon.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 65

Tyke777

Reaction score
She is already on a vet pet plan which includes a monthly tick, flea and worm treatment.
She spent a week with me on the Conon with 2 other dogs which both had ticks attached at several stages through the week.
Not a single one attached to the wee girl at all.(y)
Here she is with her new pal Rowan in the back of the car and settling down for a snooze in the cottage.
The view from the cottage window will give you some idea of the amount of ticks about.:(
I hate ticks - have to closely check the dog over every day, the treatment she's on must be working 🤞
There's a couple of pals who live in the highlands and west coast both suffer from Lymes Disease, horrible it is and seems to be getting worse.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
You two seem very well suited, like Jarvis, always wants to sit on your head for some reason? any dog experts on here that can explain that behaviour?
Agree with Michael, the last photo is truly wonderful 😁:love:
No qualifications to say this, but from my dog‘s behaviour it looks like both dogs want very close attention.

I've thought of domination or hormones but unsure.

Attachments

• C614A54A-005C-4603-B285-3CAFF94E8FE9.jpeg
    C614A54A-005C-4603-B285-3CAFF94E8FE9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

Wafty Cranker

Reaction score
Great pics, and cracking looking wee dug. Be careful and don't walk her too far at 20 weeks though.🙂

Taken from Kennel Club website:- A good rule of thumb is a ratio of five minutes exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until the puppy is fully grown e.g. 15 minutes (up to twice a day) when 3 months old, 20 minutes when 4 months old and so on. Once they are fully grown, they can go out for much longer.

keirstream

Reaction score
Great pics, and cracking looking wee dug. Be careful and don't walk her too far at 20 weeks though.🙂

Taken from Kennel Club website:- A good rule of thumb is a ratio of five minutes exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until the puppy is fully grown e.g. 15 minutes (up to twice a day) when 3 months old, 20 minutes when 4 months old and so on. Once they are fully grown, they can go out for much longer.
I know that W.C.
Sometimes, no, all of the time the K.C. talk absolute nonsense in their guidelines.
Firstly, every pup is considered identical in their needs, abilities and awareness.
You simply can't shackle a Working Cocker Spaniel to the same restraints as you would a handbag miniature, or indeed a Gordon Setter.
I have had several Springers over the years, even their needs are much less than Cockers that seem to take a quantum leap when it comes to energy levels. I have also had a Sprocker which was the best dog I ever had and she was NEARLY up with a Cocker but not quite if you get what I mean.
I have always carefully monitored my dogs exercise regimes over the 40 years of owning and working them and have never had a dog that developed arthritis which is what the K.C. allude to. Every single one has died of old age peacefully in the home it was loved and cared for all its life. :)
This wee girl has quite a few years of climbing Munros beginning in 7 months time by which time she'll be absolutely wound up and raring to go.
My last 2 dogs both climbed over 200 Munros each with me. I just love hill dugs.(y)(y)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I know that W.C.
Sometimes, no, all of the time the K.C. talk absolute nonsense in their guidelines.
Firstly, every pup is considered identical in their needs, abilities and awareness.
You simply can't shackle a Working Cocker Spaniel to the same restraints as you would a handbag miniature, or indeed a Gordon Setter.
I have had several Springers over the years, even their needs are much less than Cockers that seem to take a quantum leap when it comes to energy levels. I have also had a Sprocker which was the best dog I ever had and she was NEARLY up with a Cocker but not quite if you get what I mean.
I have always carefully monitored my dogs exercise regimes over the 40 years of owning and working them and have never had a dog that developed arthritis which is what the K.C. allude to. Every single one has died of old age peacefully in the home it was loved and cared for all its life. :)
This wee girl has quite a few years of climbing Munros beginning in 7 months time by which time she'll be absolutely wound up and raring to go.
My last 2 dogs both climbed over 200 Munros each with me. I just love hill dugs.(y)(y)
How was the fishing anyway ? Looks like Brahan or Fairburn.

keirstream

Reaction score
How was the fishing anyway ? Looks like Brahan or Fairburn.
It was Fairburn. I had 5 fish on and off, running takes. By contrast my pal had 5 muggings from fish, broke twice :eek: and landed 3.
The other 2 rods had fish on and off like me but couldn't land any of them.:(
Upper Brahan I believe had 3 for the week and as always, Middle outscored everybody.
Coul had 2 by Saturday morning when I spoke to the rod on Junction Stream.
Great to get back out though.(y)(y):D:D

keirstream

Reaction score
No problem with that, you obviously know your stuff which is nice to know(y) So she is gonna be a Munro bagger then:)
Absolutely. 2nd round fast approaching.:D
With most of our local estates no longer having pheasant shoots, you now have to take redundant working dogs to Government retraining courses and get them back into the working environment as Hill Dugs.(y)
You know what I mean I'm sure, by around the autumn, her training will be complete and off we go, 270 odd to complete.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
It was Fairburn. I had 5 fish on and off, running takes. By contrast my pal had 5 muggings from fish, broke twice :eek: and landed 3.
The other 2 rods had fish on and off like me but couldn't land any of them.:(
Upper Brahan I believe had 3 for the week and as always, Middle outscored everybody.
Coul had 2 by Saturday morning when I spoke to the rod on Junction Stream.
Great to get back out though.(y)(y):D:D
How’s that young ghillie from the Kyle doing ? Well done too.

live the Kettle. AG

keirstream

Reaction score
How’s that young ghillie from the Kyle doing ? Well done too.

live the Kettle. AG
Russel has a lot to learn, but he is enthusiastic.
Our party is 100% independent and just need ghillies to look after the essentials in fishing life
like fresh water, tea, coffee and milk. Being around with a net slung over the back is also handy
as is a wee chat just to catch up. Not War and Peace.:D
He might struggle with a more dependant team, but I'm sure it will all come together when he realises
that if he ticks all the boxes above, both pockets in his tweeds will bulge instead of just one.(y)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Russel has a lot to learn, but he is enthusiastic.
Our party is 100% independent and just need ghillies to look after the essentials in fishing life
like fresh water, tea, coffee and milk. Being around with a net slung over the back is also handy
as is a wee chat just to catch up. Not War and Peace.:D
He might struggle with a more dependant team, but I'm sure it will all come together when he realises
that if he ticks all the boxes above, both pockets in his tweeds will bulge instead of just one.(y)
Some rods snipe at him I’ve heard.