Punched, Bored or Reamed.

tenet

Reaction score
Annual blood test and then an early morning phone call from the doctor who wanted to see me right away. Apparently my PSA levels were elevated to a level which gave cause for concern. Anyway following a digital rectal exam (DRE) was referred to a urologist. Appointment came through within 7 days (I'm now getting worried) and a morning spent at Cheltenham hospital involving another DRE plus other tests. Referred for a MRI scan which again came through within 7 days so a trip to Glos Royal on a Saturday to spend half an hour inside a scanner. There followed a 2 week wait for results during which time I was a tad on edge but thankfully my prostate problem is benign and just requires monitoring with an annual PSA test.

The purpose of relating this story is to advise any male over the age of 50 to request a simple PSA blood test, it could save your life. Thankfully it all turned out ok for me and full marks to the NHS in reacting so swiftly but it could have been so different .

Paul White

Reaction score
Fully endorse this post Tenet!! I have an enlarged Prostate, picked up 15 years ago and monitored once a year and all is ok.

So many of my friends (over 50 yo),have done nothing about a test and I know from spending time with them that one or two have a problem, e.g going to the loo a lot. When I mention it, they just think it's not for them! A doctor is duty-bound to give you a test if you request it, so there really is no excuse and as Tenet says, it could well save your life! A prostate cancer takes about 20 years to grow and caught early can be monitored, so PLEASE anyone who hasn't, GET A TEST!!