Public votes

SnapT14

Reaction score
I can really appreciate the skills of every entrant because I find it so difficult myself, but your use of colour turns your work from a craft into art. There are many others who do this too but for some reason your flies really do stand out and just make me want to go fishing.

Now I'll stop with the compliments or people will start to talk.;):)

Tie of the month is for me definitely the highlight of this forum. I'm sure whatever the changes can only make it better.
Yes Walleye, stop it. He will become unbearable if you don't..... 🤣

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I know that feeling! and I run the thing! :oops: One of the fascinations for me is that a load of likes don't necessarily turn into votes and on the odd occasion that I have placed, its been with an entry I wasn't totally happy with! I keep telling myself that one day I will work it out...

I tied one of my best tied scandi flies I've ever put together one month and never got a single vote! I threw a thing together one month just to get the entry points, to me it looked like nothing, and it ended up fly of the year!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not joking either! You're a strange bunch to work out at times!!! 🤣

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Am new to this comp and for me it’s about improving my skills.Each month ,as the vote count unfold,I find my self analysis why the voting is as it is and find my self quite puzzled at times .
A brief explanation along with each vote would be most welcome .

On a personal note, as I don’t seem to be able to get a poxy single vote in the thing, constructive negative feedback would be much appreciated and greatly help my future improvement 👍

Negative feedback can be a tricky one, no matter how positively you intend it. Some people don't handle negative comments well and take it personally. It could even stop some from posting and that is something I wouldn't want either.

Perhaps a wee comment at the bottom of your post, "constructive criticism welcome" or something along those lines, maybe we could make some suggestions? As long as no one takes anything personal and stops posting because of it. 🙂

SEDGY

Reaction score
I totally get your point Jockiescott and I guess as Andy said the best attitude is not to take it to seriously ....but it does seem to draw your competitive side out of you.

It’s a funny old game for instance my favourite tier on here entries are probably the best but sadly his photo lacks pin perfect resolution of the top two entries and I can’t quite tip my vote in his favour because of it.I am dying to send him a message about it but as you say am afraid to upset him🙈.Ideally ,the photo quality should not count,but when it comes to choosing your favourite out of you top three it does,because they are that good and equal in perfection.

mc andy

Reaction score
Negative feedback can be a tricky one, no matter how positively you intend it. Some people don't handle negative comments well and take it personally. It could even stop some from posting and that is something I wouldn't want either.

Perhaps a wee comment at the bottom of your post, "constructive criticism welcome" or something along those lines, maybe we could make some suggestions? As long as no one takes anything personal and stops posting because of it. 🙂
As you say to much constructive criticism can become negative, as appose to positive. And as a tier who really doesn't stick to any defined patterns or proportions of hackle to body ect. As I've said before this is a bit of fun, not supposed to have people taking tramadol after! :unsure: 😊 :)

ryan houston

Reaction score
I personally think this can only be a positive thing for many reasons mentioned above
hopefully it involves the voting public to a greater degree in discussion
it also will give us insights into voting patterns and what attracts certain voters perhaps that will influence what we choose to tie for a given month
there will be guys who vote for themselves I'm sure
there will be voters who vote for the same guys every time as well probably but the swing voters maybe can be swayed over by tending the fly you dress to their tastes I think that will be an interesting facet to this and I look forward to seeing how it plays out
perhaps if someone who doesnt tie is a very engaging voter we could reward them by allowing them to set a theme some month?

mows

Reaction score
To give you an idea of trends for me Ryan
My recent votes have been
DrP
Clydebuilt
Spectrum shrimp
Woodsy
Westie.
Jockie.

most of these tend to be in my shortlist with others.

Andrew B

Reaction score
That is something that seems to have almost stopped in recent times. Those comments during the voting stage.

I always thought they were helpful and maybe pointed out something I'd missed myself while looking at the flies.

They helped me to improve my own tying over the years.

It is something I'd like to see more again in the future.
Well it’s good to know it’s appreciated? I always try and leave a critique of why I like the fly and maybe why not. I know it’s all BS but as I don’t come on every day it’s always in the back of my mind that I’m doing off five posts/critiques in a row lol. I’m inclined to vote for Logan this time as he’s nailed the brief with a Beauly Snow fly and using classic fly tying techniques such as the unusual dubbed head/hackle thing going on.
As we’re splitting hairs, that’s what stands out to me?

SnapT14

Reaction score
Well it’s good to know it’s appreciated? I always try and leave a critique of why I like the fly and maybe why not. I know it’s all BS but as I don’t come on every day it’s always in the back of my mind that I’m doing off five posts/critiques in a row lol. I’m inclined to vote for Logan this time as he’s nailed the brief with a Beauly Snow fly and using classic fly tying techniques such as the unusual dubbed head/hackle thing going on.
As we’re splitting hairs, that’s what stands out to me?
You'll have trouble voting for the snow fly......

The poll closed last week

mows

Reaction score
do you find you gravitate to a certain type of fly? rather than a fly dresser
Theres a bit of that.
But i also seem to like their styles.
I love Jockies hackles.
Woodsy just makes small flies look great.
Spectrum flies just draw me to them.
And DrPs are just so tidy.
I loved McAndys covid fly as well.
Your laddies stand on their own. No need to take age into account.
Recently, ive been managing to get my short list down to about 10.
And really struggle to find a differetiator to make my final vote.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Myself? I've been voting for the tiers I think did the business every month for years and always appreciated that no one knew what I picked. As the threads gain entries I try to follow along and always click the 'Like' on every tiers work and that's because I do like them all but when it comes to who or which I think is best ...........

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I think whatever you do don’t make comments conditional on submitting a vote. It was hard enough to get people to vote before so voting has to be easy. In the simplest form, just unblinding the name of voters. If you go down the route of needing to submit a comment and I’m sure there’s plenty of folk who won’t be bothered ( and given you’ve done such a good job Iain getting more entries and voters, that would be a shame).

I’m also with JockieScott on feedback. One man’s feedback is another man’s criticism - especially if it’s on an open forum and people can feel embarrassed if there is anything that is perceived as negative. I much prefer when people ask for feedback like sometimes they do on the general tying section.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I think whatever you do don’t make comments conditional on submitting a vote. It was hard enough to get people to vote before so voting has to be easy. In the simplest form, just unblinding the name of voters. If you go down the route of needing to submit a comment and I’m sure there’s plenty of folk who won’t be bothered ( and given you’ve done such a good job Iain getting more entries and voters, that would be a shame).

I’m also with JockieScott on feedback. One man’s feedback is another man’s criticism - especially if it’s on an open forum and people can feel embarrassed if there is anything that is perceived as negative. I much prefer when people ask for feedback like sometimes they do on the general tying section.

I completely agree. Posting a comment should not be seen as requirement to cast a vote. No one should feel under any obligation to comment if they don't want to.

iainmortimer

Reaction score

I agree. If people want to comment great but that will always be totally optional

easky

Reaction score
Good idea and I’m all for it Iain.. it’s a bit like forum handles and people using their own name vs something else (says he using ‘Easky’ 😄).

What about another suggestion.. people can’t or don’t vote for themselves? When people do you are almost losing an objective vote, if that makes sense.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Good idea and I’m all for it Iain.. it’s a bit like forum handles and people using their own name vs something else (says he using ‘Easky’ 😄).

What about another suggestion.. people can’t or don’t vote for themselves? When people do you are almost losing an objective vote, if that makes sense.
I didn't think you could vote for yourself 🤔?

Jockiescott

Reaction score

Not even if I really, really, really, really like my own fly? 🙁 😂

I really would hope that no one votes for their own entry. Or would even try to. Damned unsporting that.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I think if someone genuinely believes that their fly is pick of the bunch then they should feel free to vote accordingly. I feel it would be too big brotherish to rule on that and so will leave it open for each to decide rather than making a specific rule. Its meant to be a bit of fun after all even though we do have an amazing bunch of prizes this year!

Last edited: