Public votes

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Since I joined TOTM the voting has always been confidential and for no other reason I have left that as it was.

However, I think it would be interesting to see who casts their vote where as it gives some insight when say a known professional fly tier votes for your creation vs the non-professional or if your efforts have attracted the vote of other entrants. I also can’t actually see any good reason for it being confidential! This may also open the door for those who vote to be rewarded with a prize of their own in future as a reward for their participation

I am therefore planning to make the voting public for the next round which will start from the poll for the cascades.

Iain

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Since I joined TOTM the voting has always been confidential and for no other reason I have left that as it was.

However, I think it would be interesting to see who casts their vote where as it gives some insight when say a known professional fly tier votes for your creation vs the non-professional or if your efforts have attracted the vote of other entrants. I also can’t actually see any good reason for it being confidential! This may also open the door for those who vote to be rewarded with a prize of their own in future as a reward for their participation

I am therefore planning to make the voting public for the next round which will start from the poll for the cascades.

Iain

I object!

I'll no longer be able to confidentially vote for my own flies!!! 🙈🤣

Last edited:

SnapT14

Reaction score

Iain
I think its a great idea. Perhaps it will lead to more consistency in the voting and maybe even tempt people to give a brief comment or explanation as to why they have voted for the said fly.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I think its a great idea. Perhaps it will lead to more consistency in the voting and maybe even tempt people to give a brief comment or explanation as to why they have voted for the said fly.

That is something that seems to have almost stopped in recent times. Those comments during the voting stage.

I always thought they were helpful and maybe pointed out something I'd missed myself while looking at the flies.

They helped me to improve my own tying over the years.

It is something I'd like to see more again in the future.

iainmortimer

Reaction score

I hadn’t thought of that but that could/ would be another benefit.

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
I commented once or twice on what I had voted for and why but stopped because I thought it might be bad form to influence the voting result by giving an opinion before the vote closed. My opinion of course carries no weight but if someone like Jockiescott, for example, gives reasons why a particular fly is the best, who could vote otherwise???

Also, as a rank amateur fly tyer, sometimes its difficult to pick out why - sometimes a fly just... looks.... perfect.....

mc andy

Reaction score
Firstly Totm is a bit of fun, to me anyway, so as such I don't take it to seriously.

I think seeing who votes is a good plan and nice to see people's preferences. Like the flying scotsman I generally look at voting in what I would be tying on, though well taken pictures or presentation can play a massive part in this also.

To get any vote from a fellow brother of the fluff is nice! To see who it was just puts your curiosity at rest 😊

Cheers andy

Woodsy

Reaction score
Will it show up after you cast your vote? If not, can it? It would be a nice incentive for non tyers to cast their votes and then have a wee nosey 😉

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Will it show up after you cast your vote? If not, can it? It would be a nice incentive for non tyers to cast their votes and then have a wee nosey 😉
Good question. I genuinely don't know. Currently you can't see any votes until you have voted yourself and as that seems to be the default on most social software I am assuming that won't change.

Thanks also to everyone for your comments. All of your points are as I'd have suspected which confirms my thinking that the anonymous voting is unnecessary.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I commented once or twice on what I had voted for and why but stopped because I thought it might be bad form to influence the voting result by giving an opinion before the vote closed. My opinion of course carries no weight but if someone like Jockiescott, for example, gives reasons why a particular fly is the best, who could vote otherwise???

Also, as a rank amateur fly tyer, sometimes its difficult to pick out why - sometimes a fly just... looks.... perfect.....

Thanks for dropping my name in there walleye!!! 😬😂

I'm probably just like the vast majority on here and vote for those I wish I had in my own box. 🙂

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I always treat all the entrants like opening a box of flies. The fly I vote for is the fly I would pick out and tie on first.
Although I'd almost certainly fish most of them in confidence

I'm the same in how I vote tfs , it's all about the fly for me not the photograph
I do like to leave a wee comment on who I voted for although I do sometimes forget

NEbody

Reaction score
I vote based on three criteria, all of which involve quite a lot of subjectivity.

1 quality of tying. After all, the competition is called “tie of the month“, rather than “fly of the month“. This is nit-picking between my views of excellence and perfection but you have to start somewhere
2 how closely I think a tier has stuck to the month’s theme.
3 which of the remainder I’d fish with first.

Some months, there are almost as many flies at stage 3 as there are at stage 1

Scierra

Reaction score

Iain
I take it when you say Public Voting ? it is just open to Forum members only , ? and not lurkers ,non subscribers ?

SnapT14

Reaction score
Public voting sounds good. I'm open for that. Maybe also seperated voting topic for additional comments and discussion about the flies?
I just think it will make voters take a little extra time to consider their vote before placing it. I enter purely for the enjoyment of it. I really love seeing the variety and seeing different people's interpretation of different flies. Above all, I appreciate it for helping me to improve my tying.

I vote for the fly, not the photo. But that said, few could argue that a good photo doesn't draw attention and probably does help in getting a vote.

Zamora

Reaction score
Do you mean as a separate thread? That could be done I believe for no more effort👍
Yes, could be easier to follow when there wouldn’t be 7-8 pages of posted flies in the same topc? And if it doesn’t work, it is easy to go back to old. But I think it would be worth of trying.

SEDGY

Reaction score
Am new to this comp and for me it’s about improving my skills.Each month ,as the vote count unfold,I find my self analysis why the voting is as it is and find my self quite puzzled at times .
A brief explanation along with each vote would be most welcome .

On a personal note, as I don’t seem to be able to get a poxy single vote in the thing, constructive negative feedback would be much appreciated and greatly help my future improvement 👍

Walleye

Reaction score
Thanks for dropping my name in there walleye!!! 😬😂

I'm probably just like the vast majority on here and vote for those I wish I had in my own box. 🙂
I can really appreciate the skills of every entrant because I find it so difficult myself, but your use of colour turns your work from a craft into art. There are many others who do this too but for some reason your flies really do stand out and just make me want to go fishing.

Now I'll stop with the compliments or people will start to talk.;):)

Tie of the month is for me definitely the highlight of this forum. I'm sure whatever the changes can only make it better.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Am new to this comp and for me it’s about improving my skills.Each month ,as the vote count unfold,I find my self analysis why the voting is as it is and find my self quite puzzled at times .
A brief explanation along with each vote would be most welcome .

On a personal note, as I don’t seem to be able to get a poxy single vote in the thing, constructive negative feedback would be much appreciated and greatly help my future improvement 👍

I know that feeling! and I run the thing! :oops: One of the fascinations for me is that a load of likes don't necessarily turn into votes and on the odd occasion that I have placed, its been with an entry I wasn't totally happy with! I keep telling myself that one day I will work it out...