Prince Philip Dies

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Apparently he was instrumental in bringing the right people together to initiate Gift Aid too.

I’ve been enjoying reading people’s personal anecdotes about him on social media. How at state dinners his ‘water’ jug was gin martini. How someone once nervously told him they ‘did the Duke of Edinburgh’ and he looked at her and said, no, I think I’d remember that...

The letters he sent to Diana when her marriage was combusting were recirculating yesterday. Full of kindness and generosity and warmth.

He ended up pigeon-holed as the poster boy for ‘saying it as it is’; the last stand against political correctness! In reality he seems to have been an extremely kind, open-minded and generous man with a filthy sense of humour and no patience for fools. Quite the best sort.

It must be lonely being the Queen, WITH your husband alive. How awful to have lost her love.

All the TV channels have gone mad though.
Quite so. DoE will come to personify the old saying that you do not know what you've got until it is gone.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
RIP HRH Philip DOE, what a life, quite a character, and judging by the tributes paid from all over the world, a truly respected figure, someone who used a privileged position for good rather than selfish reasons, truly a one of a kind. Some of his traits seem to be apparent in William, early days, but his grandfather was an obvious influence, maybe not the often hilarious gaffs, but a sense of duty before self, not an everyday attribute, but one required by being a member of the/our Royal family.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Like many others, I have always found his "gaffes"/non PC jokes quite amusing. I don't think he ever intended to offend.

I am sure there are plenty of modern Woke Warriors who will view it differently.

They certainly don't define the man or his many achievements.

For those who also find them amusing, join me in raising a glass to some of the best. (y)

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/the-...es-and-comments-as-duke-dies-aged-99-7743496/

long Preston

Reaction score
Like many others, I have always found his "gaffes"/non PC jokes quite amusing. I don't think he ever intended to offend.

I am sure there are plenty of modern Woke Warriors who will view it differently.

They certainly don't define the man or his many achievements.

For those who also find them amusing, join me in raising a glass to some of the best. (y)

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/the-...es-and-comments-as-duke-dies-aged-99-7743496/
the wokies could never ever understand the man-he was his own man with his own views and most of all he was authentic-what a life, what achievements-the country has lost something that we will never see again.