Prince Philip Dies

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yeh real sad mate.
He did look like he'd been dead for years but at nearly 100 what can you expect.
I will be happy to make 70

And to put age into comparison, even if you make it to 70, he'd still have been married for longer...

Have to say, when I saw the picture of him leaving the hospital last month, he looked like he had more than a foot in the grave...

salarchaser

Reaction score
Have to say, when I saw the picture of him leaving the hospital last month, he looked like he had more than a foot in the grave...
said the same to my mrs.

An odd character not averse to the odd faux pas.
I'm not a royalist but he was a loyal consort and did his duty.
Couldn't have been easy, but loyal to the end.

chriswjx

Reaction score
said the same to my mrs.

An odd character not averse to the odd faux pas.
I'm not a royalist but he was a loyal consort and did his duty.
Couldn't have been easy, but loyal to the end.

yep, and to the queen... having lost her husband of 73 years... regardless of who it happened to, they would have my sympathies... add to that all the media coverage, no matter how respectful, will be difficult...

Gannochy

Reaction score
Very sad indeed if not unexpected. He was a very accomplished shot and adept at lots of other sports and I’m sure he had access to the finest fly water in the country, indeed the world but did he fish?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Very sad indeed if not unexpected. He was a very accomplished shot and adept at lots of other sports and I’m sure he had access to the finest fly water in the country, indeed the world but did he fish?

I believe at they did at Balmoral?

did a quick google, and got this. Private beat on the Dee on the estate, but seems it might have been from Charles.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Very sad, and I agree with chriswjx, he looked very ill after leaving hospital.

I was very fond of him, and his faux pas! A real character, the like of which we are rapidly seeing the back of sadly.

RIP and best wishes to the family.

Oscar.
Yes, we need folk like him badly. Rather than those awarding state contracts to their neighbours.

Think there’s a book of his gaffes. My favourite is “ your fat - you must be Hungarian “.

He‘s said to have nipped out to nightclubs after HM was in the fakey. AG

Hemmy

Reaction score
Aye......he definitely lived a long life to the full after he was kicked out of Corfu......R.I.P

Finglas

Reaction score
Very sad, i saw a bit of the TV last night and there was a programme on about Phillip and Elizabeth being in New Zealand. Only saw a bit of it but it seemed sad in a way, almost like they were looking back on his life with him no longer here.

Going innings certainly though.

Clyde 1 was on in the work, I didn't hear it but apparently it just went silent and cut to a broadcast about Philip's death.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Very sad indeed to hear the news of his passing , he really did some fantastic work around the commonwealth and of course the duke of edinburgh award , I also loved his wee gaff's made me smile and chuckle many a time 😂 R.I.P. PHIL

bassfly

Reaction score
I believe at they did at Balmoral?

did a quick google, and got this. Private beat on the Dee on the estate, but seems it might have been from Charles.

Queen Mothers beat opposite Morven.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Saw this photo shared by Meikleour on Facebook

FB_IMG_1617995439236.jpg

Andrew B

Reaction score
Just heard that the old fella has passed away. Good age at almost 100 though.
Sad day for the Royal family and you’re right to get to nearly a hundred and literally die of old age is the best anyone can hope for I guess. Only weeks ago I remember saying imagine how that Harry and Meghan would feel if they end up at the old mans funeral? Family feuds are bad enough out of the public eye😔

Andrew B

Reaction score
Saw this photo shared by Meikleour on Facebook

View attachment 59715

What a good pic. Imagine he and the Queen mother would of talked fishing. He was the one Royal that provided some laughs in my parents home, simply because he apparently hated small talk, was very non PC but above he was really funny😂.
There’s a pic of him talking to Don Bradman about his own spin bowling on what I think was Bradmans last tour as a player which puts into perspective how long a life and a career he had.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Apparently he was instrumental in bringing the right people together to initiate Gift Aid too.

I’ve been enjoying reading people’s personal anecdotes about him on social media. How at state dinners his ‘water’ jug was gin martini. How someone once nervously told him they ‘did the Duke of Edinburgh’ and he looked at her and said, no, I think I’d remember that...

The letters he sent to Diana when her marriage was combusting were recirculating yesterday. Full of kindness and generosity and warmth.

He ended up pigeon-holed as the poster boy for ‘saying it as it is’; the last stand against political correctness! In reality he seems to have been an extremely kind, open-minded and generous man with a filthy sense of humour and no patience for fools. Quite the best sort.

It must be lonely being the Queen, WITH your husband alive. How awful to have lost her love.

All the TV channels have gone mad though.