Prawn/Shrimp set up

the ditch

Reaction score
this is the set up that some people use on the lower blackwater which consists of a hook 18'' of mono, weighted swivel tied to 8-10'' Sakuma 22lb power gum tied to another weighted swivel and then put a small bead up the mainline i use 44lb power pro braid for the main line thread line through float i use then a buffer bead tie braid to weighted swivel push buffer bead over weighted swivel, once that is done tie in a stopper knot above bead on the mainline and adjust your dept... this works for me ill try to put up photos... here goeIMG_3076.JPGIMG_3081.JPGIMG_3074.JPGIMG_3059.JPG

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a lead weighted swivel ? as it doesn't look like tungsten

barrel swivels are all lead weighted on web sites and are few and far between mainly American
lead weights illegal ?on rivers ,

Last edited:

the ditch

Reaction score
Why the Power gum?

There is no stretch in braid, this allows for the strike which reduces the risk of breaking the leader and the initial fight when the fish runs, I find the braid a better set up than mono mainline as the braid will float and easier to keep in contact with the float

Rrrr

Reaction score
Looks like a lead weighted swivel ? as it doesn't look like tungsten

barrel swivels are all lead weighted on web sites and are few and far between mainly American
lead weights illegal ?on rivers ,
Leads allowed over 1oz and that looks about 1oz.

Isisalar

Reaction score
There is no stretch in braid, this allows for the strike which reduces the risk of breaking the leader and the initial fight when the fish runs, I find the braid a better set up than mono mainline as the braid will float and easier to keep in contact with the float
I also use braid, with usually 12-18lb nylon or fluro hooklink 2-3 ft long. Never felt any need for Powergum, used it for Trout years ago and concluded I caught despite using it rather than because of using it. Each to his own though.
Re leads :- I use Olivettes which I think are tungsten, not lead anyway so perfectly legal in any size.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I think you will find lead weights are allowed in Europe, its only the UK where they are banned sub 28g(1oz). As for power gum, never found any need for it, apart from stop knots, I use braid to a swivel then around 2ft of fluoro.
peter

Hardydemon 86

Reaction score
this is the set up that some people use on the lower blackwater which consists of a hook 18'' of mono, weighted swivel tied to 8-10'' Sakuma 22lb power gum tied to another weighted swivel and then put a small bead up the mainline i use 44lb power pro braid for the main line thread line through float i use then a buffer bead tie braid to weighted swivel push buffer bead over weighted swivel, once that is done tie in a stopper knot above bead on the mainline and adjust your dept... this works for me ill try to put up photos... here goeView attachment 44366View attachment 44365View attachment 44367View attachment 44368
Where do you get the weighted swivels from ?

the ditch

Reaction score
Where do you get the weighted swivels from ?
i have the mould for making them i use proper swivels that are bound together in mould so no cheap china stuff and furthermore mine dont part in the middle upon striking in a fish like ones people had bought in shops, other brilliant uses for fishing weighted swivels such the floating devon and the flying C'S keeps them down a bit in high water, ill give you a few in the closed season if you like, all i need to know what float size you use, weights go from 1/4 to 3/4 of an ounce, its years since i saw some body using bullet lead and rubber float stops, simple stop knot is perfect from gut or i use from fly backing on braid.

squimp

Reaction score
Can you explain the advantage(s) of a weighted swivel over a normal swivel and an appropriate sized drilled weight/Olivette ?

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I use drilled bullet and float stops. Hit 6 fish and landed 4 in past 2 days on a tricky river. Nothing wrong with the method