Powerlite Speycaster 15’ 7-9

ibm59

Reaction score
As a follow on from my thread about a 16’ 9/10 last year , does anyone use this rod ?
Lines / heads ?

mows

Reaction score
Sorry Brian, but I think you are confusing this with a salmon fishing forum.

Now if you were to describe the aesthetic of the said implement and whether it had been used recently and hence exposed to sunlight, so vitamin D sufficient, and UV exposed, ideally handled with gloves and never within 5 miles of a sneeze.
Then you might have got a better response.

charlieH

Reaction score
I didn't respond immediately because I don't have this exact model, but I do have what I suspect is a close forbear, in the form of the Powerlite 15' 7-10, and perhaps that might give a clue to your rod in the absence of anyone else's input. Mine is probably 25 years old, and I bought it because on the whole I like longer rods, but I wanted something that would also fish a light line. At the time I was fishing the lower Wye quite regularly, where there is a lot of very flat, gliding water and thrashing around with a heavy line is not conducive to catching fish.

I haven't actually had the rod out of its bag for a few years now, but I used to overhead cast with a 7wt Wulff TT, which has a 70' head, and that loaded it up nicely. I could just about manage a speycast with that line, but it didn't really load it properly. I also fished it with a 9/10 Snowbee 2D, and that worked fine with a single spey. I never used it with anything other than a full floater, but that's because it was always intended as a 'long and light' rod for summer use. If I'm using anything other than a floater there's much less need for stealth, and I would turn to a rod with a heavier rating.

I think that if you're familiar with B&W rods you will probably find that the rod behaves more or less as you would expect. By that I mean that if you're using a speycast it needs a line at the upper end of its rating. As an aside, you mention the 16' 9-10 Powerlite, and I can't remember whether I responded to your question at the time, but I find that rod works well with a Carron 75' 10-11, both floating and intermediate. I know also that many people find that the 15' Norway 9-10 line goes better with a 10-11 line, so some B&W's are happy with a line that's even a bit heavier than their upper rating. Whether your rod would go best with an 8/9 or a 9//10 I couldn't say, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd suggest a competent fisherman would be able to make it work with either. And arguably the point of the rod is to give a somewhat more delicate presentation, so I might be inclined to go with the 8/9, even if it was slightly harder work. I think your rod will certainly be happy with longer heads, though no doubt will throw shooting heads too if that's your preference.

In summary, I think you'll find it to be a rod best suited for summer fishing on larger rivers, where a longer headed line may be useful, but a somewhat more delicate approach is needed and heavy lines are not appropriate.

ibm59

Reaction score
I didn't respond immediately because I don't have this exact model, but I do have what I suspect is a close forbear, in the form of the Powerlite 15' 7-10, and perhaps that might give a clue to your rod in the absence of anyone else's input. Mine is probably 25 years old, and I bought it because on the whole I like longer rods, but I wanted something that would also fish a light line. At the time I was fishing the lower Wye quite regularly, where there is a lot of very flat, gliding water and thrashing around with a heavy line is not conducive to catching fish.

I haven't actually had the rod out of its bag for a few years now, but I used to overhead cast with a 7wt Wulff TT, which has a 70' head, and that loaded it up nicely. I could just about manage a speycast with that line, but it didn't really load it properly. I also fished it with a 9/10 Snowbee 2D, and that worked fine with a single spey. I never used it with anything other than a full floater, but that's because it was always intended as a 'long and light' rod for summer use. If I'm using anything other than a floater there's much less need for stealth, and I would turn to a rod with a heavier rating.

I think that if you're familiar with B&W rods you will probably find that the rod behaves more or less as you would expect. By that I mean that if you're using a speycast it needs a line at the upper end of its rating. As an aside, you mention the 16' 9-10 Powerlite, and I can't remember whether I responded to your question at the time, but I find that rod works well with a Carron 75' 10-11, both floating and intermediate. I know also that many people find that the 15' Norway 9-10 line goes better with a 10-11 line, so some B&W's are happy with a line that's even a bit heavier than their upper rating. Whether your rod would go best with an 8/9 or a 9//10 I couldn't say, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd suggest a competent fisherman would be able to make it work with either. And arguably the point of the rod is to give a somewhat more delicate presentation, so I might be inclined to go with the 8/9, even if it was slightly harder work. I think your rod will certainly be happy with longer heads, though no doubt will throw shooting heads too if that's your preference.

In summary, I think you'll find it to be a rod best suited for summer fishing on larger rivers, where a longer headed line may be useful, but a somewhat more delicate approach is needed and heavy lines are not appropriate.
Many thanks for the lengthy reply , Charlie. 👍

Oddly enough , I read your post about your old rod whilst trawling through old B&W threads this morning. 🙂

Tyke

Reaction score
My mate Paul has the 15 ft #7-9 Powerlite, we only used it with speylines rather than heads but it was a lovely rod to use and has sufficient back bone to throw a good line and deal with the wind etc.

It was more at the 9 end of the rating than the 7 end though, I seem to remember it handling a Jock Monteith multi-tip 10/11 weight quite well one day, & I'm sure the 9/10 version would have been great on it.

Probably not surprising though as the stated 7-9 rating was for DT lines & a decent length of a DT 9 wt is going to way more than a 9/10 mid Spey type line with just a 60-65 ft head.

Regards, Tyke.

PS. This was the 3 piece version some years ago.

bluejay

Reaction score
From what I have observed, the 8/9 and the 9/10 lines are used on this rod. I know the 9/10 Gaelforce 63 is popular and also the Nextcast 8/9 FF70. I would guess the Boss 8/9 would also be a great line on this rod.

ibm59

Reaction score
Many thanks , Tyke.

I really don’t need another 9/10 or 10/11 rod. Was hoping that this rod may have been comfy with an 8/9.
‘Perhaps I’ll have to look elsewhere.

bluejay

Reaction score
If you like the B&W action, they are now making an 8/9 Powerlite that may be worthy of consideration.

Want to add that the 16' 8/9 Powerlite I cast was definitely a line size down from the 9/10 16' Powerlite, which I own.

Last edited:

Tyke

Reaction score
Many thanks , Tyke.

I really don’t need another 9/10 or 10/11 rod. Was hoping that this rod may have been comfy with an 8/9.
I'm sure an 8/9 Spey line will be good on it as long as it's a proper 8/9 as I think the Monteith ones were at the light end of their stated rating. I bet my old Rio Accelerator 8/9 would fly on it, but I didn't have it with me at the time.

Tyke.

ibm59

Reaction score
I'm sure an 8/9 Spey line will be good on it as long as it's a proper 8/9 as I think the Monteith ones were at the light end of their stated rating. I bet my old Rio Accelerator 8/9 would fly on it, but I didn't have it with me at the time.

Tyke.
I have a 54’ Gaelforce 8/9 , and I’m reliably informed that the 8/9 65’ Carron Jetstream goes well on this rod.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Many thanks , Tyke.

I know I’m not answering your question here but.....

Much as I love my B&Ws; if I were looking specifically for something of 15ft (or longer) to cast an 8/9 line, I would take a serious look at the Meiser Highlander CX (through action) in #7 or #8, or the MKX (througher action) blanks in 8/9. Although I note that his grain weights suggest that particular MKX may be more of a 9/10 to us.

Buy the blank, take the hit on the VAT & Duty then get somebody in the UK to build it out to your spec. Keep it simple to keep the cost down.

My previous generation 13’6” MKS blank is such a pleasant tool to fish with and if I get my loop formed correctly it takes hardly a nudge with the bottom end to send the line as far as I need. My 12’6” CX is great with short heads & Skagits, but is very nice to fish with the Airflo Scandi Long in 510grain & 40ft. I imagine the longer ones would love mid belly lines too.

bluejay

Reaction score
ibm--
Can‘t see any mention of it on their website

I have cast the 16' 8/9 Powerlite and it is a definite line size down from my 16' 9/10. If you inquire they would provide details. Some of these rods have made their way to North America via B&W North America the past few years.
The Meiser's are another fine choice as well. We are fortunate to have so many choices in long rods and lines these days

waynev

Reaction score
ibm--
Can‘t see any mention of it on their website

I have cast the 16' 8/9 Powerlite and it is a definite line size down from my 16' 9/10. If you inquire they would provide details. Some of these rods have made their way to North America via B&W North America the past few years.
The Meiser's are another fine choice as well. We are fortunate to have so many choices in long rods and lines these days

Yah B&W really should do something about their interweb presence. The are all sorts of new B&W rods being developed as evidenced by the B&W NA Facebook page but nothing on their website.

Spey Salar

Reaction score
There are SO many rods that B&W have made over the last few years that do not appear on their website, which is vastly out of date. To keep up with what they now offer its far better to check out their own Facebook page and the Facebook page of B&W North America. The latter’s clients have really been responsible through their requests for a lot of the new rods B&W has developed.

waynev

Reaction score
Problem with face book is you have to sift through several years of posts to understand what rods have been developed. It would be far better from a consumer perspective to have a complete list on a web site.

pellinore

Reaction score
I have one that i use an airflo delta 8/9 50 foot line on, I've used 9/10 windcutter lines too to great effect, you can feel everything. I'd love a 55ft 8/9 gaelforce line and I'd probably use it more than my shooting head rods if I but the bullet and bought one. I'd probably catch more fish too.