Powerlight 10FT 6" #8

munro

Reaction score
Rod eventually arrived pleased. Tried the Barrio slx last week with Bluepearl, went okay felt a tad light at 17.5g and the head poss bit long for some situations. But it was a bad upstream wind. Said to John not getting anything else till i prove this line. Me being me done a bit raking about ended up buying an Airflo float switch 4.5wt 300grains a whisker under 19.5 g and if memory 26ft head, good target weight for mixed overhead and spey single handed, Had a 5ft poly 4ft 15, 4 ft 12 maxima, well night and day and todays wind was one way then the other not making its mind up. Truth is it casts excellent using double handed ( It has quite a long fitted fighting butt that fits the hand perfect), and sings with the Airflo line. I did learn i have mostly been right hand up past couple of seasons so it was head scratching and figuring out what was wrong with my left hand up casting, bit more polishing on that.
But a lovely finnished rod, and lovely to fish double or single handed with the 4.5 weight Airflo switch . might have a barrio up for sale soon not sure.

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
Just bought another line to compliment the switch line which i plan to use as the main armoury.
Well going to the dark side here on this one when i wan't a bit more depth, probably overkill,
Just ordered the opst cammando 300g line,lazer shooting line 35lb, and the 3 different 12ft density tips,in 96 g I will be scared to fish at the price.Well not really wouldn't have bought if i wouldn't fish
I have various other tips from single hand and doublehand as well, Bought to cover high water situations and some interesting fast stuff i know, i ordered some tungsten line leader/tip from Airflo no loops for making some various small tips,etc £8 ish ebay. the 150 stuff not a clue but soon will have weighing it with the digital scales. Unfortunatley there is not a lot of sizes left now
My mate was always at me to get a skagit, i used to say got enough chioces on river with heads and spey lines. And thought i would never bother, But i can see a use for a more balanced sinking rig on a this rod

Airflo Custom Cut Tips 30AE Unlooped. | eBay

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
Well what can i say, It is crimminal. the Cammando head300grain ,lazer line 35llb,10 ft cammando float tip. 10ft tapered leader. Once i got it figured with snap tee,circle c, perry poke. double spey.snake roll even single spey. serious kit, a 10ft 6 single hand 8 weight. using double hand would put some 15 ft 10/11 to shame. amazing.

G

guest2938

Hi John

I’m glad you’ve now got the rod dialled in to your liking, far too many anglers give up on a rod for that very reason

Tight lines and looking forward to seeing a fish laid out next to the powerlight before season end, I’ll hopefully do likewise

DCH

munro

Reaction score
Kev i always say it is me not the rod. But in truth this is a good rod. When i get a fault or daft stray cast i try and figure out what i done wrong or need to do to correct sometimes correct bang on the nail,other times a couple of trial casts, Still need to correct my left hand up.used to be as good with both. but shoulder and opening loop delivery stops pushing top hand, will sort though.
The only other thing with a bad cast i tell newbies and myself its in the water fish it out, dont rip it out and thrash it again, after all not in the water not getting fish