Powerlight 10FT 6" #8

munro

Reaction score
Recntly i placed an order for this rod, now being a single hander with a fighting butt, i have asked them to make it a bit longer on fighting butt for my bottom hand, as i intend to use as summer low water rod mostly speycasting and if i ever get back in to the seatrout.
I have emailed B&W on there weight recomendations on overhead and speycasting, what lines and possibe gram weights in both types of cast. would think to the top end of single hand lines. or single hand spey lines possible cross in to switch lines at lower end.
Anybody out there use or know someone who uses and what they use on it? I would like multi tip but if not floater, would be small flies and micro tubes. I dont wan't to go shooting head route if i can help it . I would prefer full line or integrated. once i get an idea of lines and specifications i can do a bit more research on. The rod wont be ready untill the end of April start of May , awaiting there next model production run. so plenty of research time.

Bruino

Reaction score
Hi Munro, I have the full selection of gaelforce short spey switch lines 24,27,30, and 33grams,33foot heads could meet up down the Clyde when you get your new toy so you can try them.

liphook

Reaction score
Worth a look at the Barrio lines and a chat with Mike himself for advice on correct weight for your intended use. I've found him very helpful

munro

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. But i think these lines would be to heavy even the 24g . but if you still want to have an evening on the Clyde keep in touch/ May onwards two evenings a week

munro

Reaction score
Worth a look at the Barrio lines and a chat with Mike himself for advice on correct weight for your intended use. I've found him very helpful

Already had a chat with Mike, he is unsure but willing to swap until right ,looking at Barrio SLX OR Poss switch at a push, Mate has a shed load of lines as well. A lot will do with profile belly and where the weighting is.

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Already had a chat with Mike, he is unsure but willing to swap until right ,looking at Barrio SLX OR Poss switch at a push, Mate has a shed load of lines as well. A lot will do with profile belly and where the weighting is.

I have the 11'3" Salmon / Sea Trout #7-9 and the Barrio SLX in #8 is a great match for overhead casting at 17g for hitch or tapered leaders with tubes. If I use the rod as a light double hander then I fish an AFS 6/7 or 7/8, which weigh in about 10grams heavier than the SLX @ 27 and 30g respectively. The rod will overhead both of the shooting heads, they just aren't designed for that and it isn't the most delicate way of fishing except at very short range.

If I had your rod and wanted something that does a bit of both (Spey and overhead)I would go for the 6/7 Barrio Switch at 24.5g. If I wanted a pure overhead casting line I would go for the SLX in #8 weight.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I have a 23 y-o Powerlite 11' 3'', #6 which, for me, is better lined with a #7 for overhead casting - I use a Barrio Mallard #7, as it happens.
I'd take Mike up on his offer and try a few lines to see which suits your needs best.

munro

Reaction score
The dilema i have a few B&W double handers and feel they get there best when lined up a size well for me. So wondeing how the single handers are.
Manufacturers used to give a size lower was double taper higher was weight forward, so if bang on with d/t would need a 9 in w/f, but thats where it might be heavier being a B&W. Plenty time to research gudeline with shooting heads for an 8 single hander overhead and spey 19grams and spey only 21g. I have an old Hady 10 ft ultralight #7. that belted out a wf7 and was good on sunk work and have an old guideline cut customise single handed ddc tips can't remember weight and it worked well not big distance but fair when incorparating a double haul on a single spey, i used this link as a giude but that was 6/7 years ago. will need to re read this page
Granbo Flyfishing - Flyfishing - Salmon fishing - Flycasting - Flytying - Fishing Course - Fishing School - Norway - Lecture - DVD - Gaula
Now by adding to the bottom fighting butt to allow my hand on,and becoming d/hander, means i can do away with the double haul, not looking at massive distances, just fishable controlable casts/fishing, plus a bit of meat on a small local river,which in truth would probably suit a double taper

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
On another site of an ex member here many moons ago.lot of interesting reading .
Airflo single hand lines for Spey casting | Fly Fishing Blog - Hooked4life
Now wondering on something else, with it being made into a single hander
On a single hander to get line speed and loading in the spey cast we use the double haul similar to overhead casting. If i want to spey cast double hand, will i need even more weight than single hand casting as the bottom hand is now my double haul.Possible i am over thinking now.
I will Speak with my mate when i see him through the week and we will get a wee trial of things when the rod arrives

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
B&W Have come back to us and reckon it is better to keep as a single hander with the fighting but rather than what i wanted, so it will be single hand, Think i am going down the 40 plus route, as i like a full line . A friend reckons he has a WF8,i can try as a baseline, And as mine shall be on a cassete reel i can have various densities on cassete spools which which don't take a lot of room up in back waistcoat pocket. Looking at the 40 plus up to date latest £45 Ish new. Discont models app £19 upwards depending on model and where from.

Rennie

Reaction score
Munro,if it helps any,I use the Airflo 7 weight 40+ floater on my Airflo Nan Tec Switch rod rated 6.
It will over head and Spey cast(or variations thereof) as far as I would want and its a cracking line!.
Pedro.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
B&W Have come back to us and reckon it is better to keep as a single hander with the fighting but rather than what i wanted, so it will be single hand,
munro; Did they say why they thought this?
I have an old 11' 4'' I'm considering altering from s-h, so curious. It may be the modulus or taper that makes yours unsuitable - or maybe in this case length does matter? ;)

munro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.Never got into it was through a third party from whom i am buying the rod through, Aparently B&W have had a few requests for this , but they recomend against. When you look at pictures the fighting but looks quite long anyway, and will just have to try holding bottom hand with Thumb index and middle fingers, i do it with smaller spey rods and it was good when i had a zspey a couple of years back. think it was an infinity.
On the lines Think it will be 40 plus in various densities, Was supposed to get a wf 8 today but mate didn't make it, once i get the
wf 8 we will try out and see if i should go to a nine. As yet airflo have not yet replied to line weights, this is an extract from an American site
7=284grns Grammes 18.4
8=323grns 20.93
9=365grns 23.65
So i know the wf 8 is a good speycasting weight to start with and judge before i but a slow inty and a fast inty, In truth looking at the profile they are integrated shooting head without saying I think. When i get the rod and test the lines i will put something in on this thread for others future reference.
Never got the line but another very good friend gave me Salmon Fly Fishing . The dynamics Approach, Francis t Grant, nice bit of reading soon wanted to read for a few years.

Last edited:
G

guest2938

I have this rod, the original model. I use a Barrio SLX 8, with a selection of trout polys

It’s immense

DCH

munro

Reaction score
Have looked at them have also spoke with Mike on them have three of there trout lines for small streams. Not yet ruled out. Thanks

G

guest2938

I’ve also nipped 18inch off the front and put a roman moser loop on, turns over polys and weighted flies better

You’ll struggle to get a better line for it, but at the end of the day, the decision is yours

DCH

munro

Reaction score
Understand your thoughts and agree on quality and useability of Mikes lines. The Aiflo is being given to me so it gives me a start weight to see how it speycasts,and if i need to go for different weights Mikes SLX in an 8 is 17g ish if i remember and Aifrlo is 20 something, Mike i think only does in Float if i remember. Airflo in various densities. When you look at the profiles they are both rear weighted shooting head tapers but integrated as a line . I think the airflo is more aggressive at the front so should turn over what i want. size 10/14.small low water classics micro tubes and micro cones. Not doubting you on the SLX, I may evem pm you when i come up to fish the Don at Granhome from May onwards, If thats suitable John

G

guest2938

I myself roll cast and single hand haul / spey on the rare occasion with this rod and my SLX 8 line in the tree lined pools, but primarily its a single hander. I sometimes carry 2 rods. If i wish, or need, to cast 2 handed i take and use my switch rod. They are both light enough to carry around and you have 2 different set ups, with 2 methods, like top of the water approach with small flies or hitch for example on the SH, or weighted tubes and sunrays on the switch. This really helps as you can cover the pools twice.

If you are looking for something that does both, you`d be as well use a switch rod and a line that is designed for both, and for me provided its trout rated, be nimble enough to overhead cast with ease for at least 50% of your session, or as you wish.

Im happy to receive any PM, i dont fish at Grandhome and dont really know that water well, but i could give you a very accurate update on how the Don is performing.

DCH

Last edited:

munro

Reaction score
Listening to you sir, around 18g is a good weight for a mix and overhead, 20g ish is good for just spey casts on another 8 weight i have with shooting heads, I also double haul with the single hander.to get line speed and load appreciated your input.

munro

Reaction score
Doing more research after fellow forum member DonCurlyHorny's advice. I have been comparing Barrio SLX, weights with Aftma affta weights, as well as Airflo, Cortland,Aircel although Mike has a small statement regarding taper and target weights, Although we say poly leader is negligible, might be more important in single hand rods if 10 ft wieght 2g ie half that 5 ft 1g. Also checking saltwater poly leaders for weight, The diference could move you into a different weight in a higher or lower class but i would think on a 15ft rod 10/11 it is negligible' The weights come in at about a 10 weight for the barrio 33ft inc tip, and Aftma 30 foot not inc tip, shorter belly than forty plus but lighter than forty plus
Drafting something up to send to Mike at Barrio, Well after all, i asked the forum members for some adice, DonCurlyHorny has put the time out to reply and guide on his findings with the same rod. Also found out David Norwich says B&W single hand ratings are pretty well on the money. So may well end up going down this route, actually thinking of buying a floater without testing at if to light for spey it will overhead that price. Thanks DonCurlyHorny. P.S they also do an intermediate.
Bye the way i have 3 Barrio small stream lines for river trout and they are good. I asked Mike if i could drop in to test try, but he offered buy one try if no good he would swap. Top guy
Update took a chance line to try once rod arrives in April Barrio SLX 8 Olive

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
You'll not be disappointed on the SLX. WRT Polyleaders I have used the 8wt with a Inter Salmon Poly but it does noticeably add to the weight and my 11,3 is a #7-9 weight so has that bit more power than your #8. Since then I have been using tapered mono and flouro leaders. With a 11-12ft Flouro leader and a Small Snaelda I have been able to get as deep as I wanted without the Poly.

Trout polys would work much better, as they are lighter.

Like DCH my Spate river setup is the 11'3" 7-9 'Salmon / Sea Trout' fishing a #8 SLX, with a tapered mono or flouro leader for sub-surface work.

I also carry a 10'6" #6-8 Merlin 'Featherlite' with a #7 SLX for hitching.

rodbender

Reaction score
Hi Munro, I have the full selection of gaelforce short spey switch lines 24,27,30, and 33grams,33foot heads could meet up down the Clyde when you get your new toy so you can try them.

Hi John, I was wondering if the rumour was true you now have shares in Gaelforce:D I would like to try some of your lines on my C.N.D. solstice 6/7/8 ! we could maybe meet up when the weather gets better if that's ok :thumb:

munro

Reaction score
Hi John, I was wondering if the rumour was true you now have shares in Gaelforce:D I would like to try some of your lines on my C.N.D. solstice 6/7/8 ! we could maybe meet up when the weather gets better if that's ok :thumb:

Had me confused there Dougie, different John, hope your good bud