Posting pictures directly into the forum.

Springer

Reaction score
OK guys, its taken us a while to get this started but you can now upload a picture directly onto the SFF server and display it in your post without the need to use the third party hosts such as Photobucket, Imageshack etc.

The software we have installed will automatically resize your picture to the correct 800x600 format for the forum. A typical 4MB image will take around 1 minute to upload, if you have resized the images yourself it will be much faster but either way it brings the forum nearer to the likes of Facebook for ease of picture sharing.

We will continue to look at developing this option to hopefully encourage members to post more pictures and to make it easier for those who already do. Because this is a first launch there may be issues, I have had some members test it prior to launch but if you have any questions or find any problems please use this thread to bring them to our attention.

Here is a video to show you how to do it.

Posting Pictures Demo

Pollowick

Reaction score
Without having tested it yet ...

You say 800x600 - so obviously smaller will be accepted.

What if I want to post a 600x800 image? Will the 800 dimension be checked against the 600 standard and deemed too large forcing me to resize down to 450x600 with loss of definition? This problem occurs on some other forums but not all.

Springer

Reaction score

What if I want to post a 600x800 image? Will the 800 dimension be checked against the 600 standard and deemed too large forcing me to resize down to 450x600 with loss of definition? This problem occurs on some other forums but not all.
Sorry I don't know the answers, try it and see is the best I can say at this stage

Tech Support

Reaction score
When will the paperclip thingy appear in the toolbar so I can try it?
If you do not see the paperclip then your settings may need updated.
Click Settings up top beside your name, then click General Settings down the left and under Miscellaneous options ensure Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is enabled.

Tech Support

Reaction score

Here is an example 600 * 800. It will resize the 800 to maximum 600 and adjust the 600 in proportion.

bear.jpg

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
If you do not see the paperclip then your settings may need updated.
Click Settings up top beside your name, then click General Settings down the left and under Miscellaneous options ensure Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is enabled.

Hi Tech Support,

Still no paperclip in the toolbar.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
In my Upper Caberston Fishings profile, the paperclip is there but not in this profile.

Also under the UCF profile, under settings it is set to Standard Editor.

Have tried both settings on this profile but no paperclip?

Heero

Reaction score
Imagine my disappointment when I realized the Private Message I had received was just a mass mailing -- it might as well have been another advert, I thought someone wanted to talk to me!

Tech Support

Reaction score
In my Upper Caberston Fishings profile, the paperclip is there but not in this profile.
Also under the UCF profile, under settings it is set to Standard Editor.
Have tried both settings on this profile but no paperclip?
There is a certain number of posts before you are trusted to post photos, this is to avoid spam. As you have the other account, Springer could add you to Trusted Users to allow posts from both accounts.

Tech Support

Reaction score
Tried to watch the how to video ,but my iPad doesn't support flash player.
Any suggestions.
Click the Paper Clip icon when you are composing a message. Then click Add Files top right. Once the file uploads, drag it down to the Attachments panel at the bottom of the window and then either Insert Inline or click Done. If you click Done when you are authoring your post select the Up/Down arrows beside the paperclip to attach your attachment. The uploader uses Flash so it will not work nicely with iPads.

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
If it's Crag Lough I had a very memorable a post-climb experience there, on a very cold day many years ago...:cool: Fond memories...;)
Well spotted Seeking. You must have been hanging over the edge over
Reiver Flash's left shoulder? Now I wonder what your post climb experience was? The experience of that place has strange effects on people!

Aled

Reaction score
Ifan Sewin Awst 15 2015 1.jpg

A Test, proud Dad with my son Ifan's first sewin.
Cheers
Aled

PS EDIT: Works a treat nice one Springer.

Last edited:

Pollowick

Reaction score
So, what will display, and what size

800x600.jpg

808x606.jpg

606x808.jpg

600x800.jpg

It appears that anything over 600 high or 800 wide is resized and highly compressed.

The 800x600 image is 61.1kB in size as the original and here. The 600x800 file has been resized as I thought, down to 450x600 and highly compressed from 63.5kB to 7.0kB.

Similarly the two just over, whilst I would expect resizing, they are also seriously compressed.

So, whilst the principle is good, the implementation is not ideal. Please could you reconsider it and allow images in portrait format to be up to 600wide and 800high, then when a resizing is undertaken to complete it in such a way that compression is minimised and detail retained.

It is also good that a <QUOTE> now only includes the image name with link and not the image.

Last edited: