Post Brexit sales from UK to eu.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I am hoping to sell some of my salmon rods and reels over the coming months.
What is the situation when selling from UK to Eire when it comes to customs charges and paperwork etc...
Is it better just to sell to UK?
Any advice welcome. The Internet hasn't really been very clear or informative.
Cheers all!

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
I am hoping to sell some of my salmon rods and reels over the coming months.
What is the situation when selling from UK to Eire when it comes to customs charges and paperwork etc...
Is it better just to sell to UK?
Any advice welcome. The Internet hasn't really been very clear or informative.
Cheers all!
I would suggest that you just sell to the UK. For us in Ireland it is now a nightmare to buy from the UK... taxes and VAT are applicable to us when buying from the UK. Even trying to buy from the likes of e-bay etc is now a waste of time. Anything that comes from the UK is now sidelined by an independent company who are acting on behalf of the Irish revenue who now get a cut of everything they can they can squeeze out of you.
You may well get the odd person that does not know the set up but... most of us by now do! That's Brexit for you!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I would suggest that you just sell to the UK. For us in Ireland it is now a nightmare to buy from the UK... taxes and VAT are applicable to us when buying from the UK. Even trying to buy from the likes of e-bay etc is now a waste of time. Anything that comes from the UK is now sidelined by an independent company who are acting on behalf of the Irish revenue who now get a cut of everything they can they can squeeze out of you.
You may well get the odd person that does not know the set up but... most of us by now do! That's Brexit for you!

Just out of interest. How much would postage have cost before Brexit?

John Norris for example would have been £6.99 to Northern Ireland for bigger items.

How much would it have been to the Republic?

Birkin

Reaction score
Bought a Guideline travel bag from Eire as it was £20 cheaper than UK. Bag was posted via DHL and delivered 4 days after purchase. No extra charges so if the Irish are charging duty then they are making a few bob. So who is suffering from Brexit. Not me.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Bought a Guideline travel bag from Eire as it was £20 cheaper than UK. Bag was posted via DHL and delivered 4 days after purchase. No extra charges so if the Irish are charging duty then they are making a few bob. So who is suffering from Brexit. Not me.

I think it's more to do with items from the UK mainland to the Republic. John Norris for example no longer ship outside the UK because of paperwork etc.

I've had ebay items delivered to Northern Ireland with customs declarations taped to them, which should not be necessary.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I meant to highlight this. It is the purchaser who is at risk of the the taxes etc. Once you have your money it's out of your hands!

True, but if they refuse to pay the taxes, the item eventually will make it's way back to you, and you would be expected to refund said purchaser as well as relist the item. Would be a great waste of the weeks it would take to do the rounds as well...

Safranfoer

Reaction score
True, but if they refuse to pay the taxes, the item eventually will make it's way back to you, and you would be expected to refund said purchaser as well as relist the item. Would be a great waste of the weeks it would take to do the rounds as well...
My sister got stung like this, selling a drum to someone in Eire. They refused to pay the taxes, it got sent back to her - and got lost. So she had to refund the buyer and then wait the standard however many weeks it takes for the postal service to concede it isn't going to turn up and really is lost, to claim on their insurance. Luckily she managed it all without making a loss - other than the weeks and chasing it took to resolve.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Purely because UK customs haven't got their act together YET!

Chicharito

Reaction score
Mmm definitely food for thought there. I certainly don't need any extra hassle at the moment!
Looks like UK only then I'm afraid!!
Thanks for your replies all!

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
My sister got stung like this, selling a drum to someone in Eire. They refused to pay the taxes, it got sent back to her - and got lost. So she had to refund the buyer and then wait the standard however many weeks it takes for the postal service to concede it isn't going to turn up and really is lost, to claim on their insurance. Luckily she managed it all without making a loss - other than the weeks and chasing it took to resolve.
She shouldn't have returned the money... the purchaser should have done his/her homework before they made the purchase. Your sister did nothing wrong and sold it in good faith to a willing buyer. If the purchaser chose to send it back then it was their loss!

Safranfoer

Reaction score
She shouldn't have returned the money... the purchaser should have done his/her homework before they made the purchase. Your sister did nothing wrong and sold it in good faith to a willing buyer. If the purchaser chose to send it back then it was their loss!
She panicked. I wouldn't have refunded until I got the drum back - grumpily in light of the fact they'd returned it - and would have pointed out that the UK leaving the EU hasn't exactly been under-reported...

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Post from the Sunny Uplands to Ireland is a disaster at the moment. As I type two packages are MIA ... a package of flies and another of old Swedish Tobies ... I have no idea if they will turn up and, tragically, it looks as this situation may deteriorate. All so sad, all so unnecessary.

chriswjx

Reaction score
She panicked. I wouldn't have refunded until I got the drum back - grumpily in light of the fact they'd returned it - and would have pointed out that the UK leaving the EU hasn't exactly been under-reported...

Although, depending on where she's sold it through, refund might be required regardless... Hope she didn't refund the postage though...

JACK POWER

Reaction score
A small package posted to me in Leicestershire on Sept 21 was delivered to me, in Cork, five minutes ago. Almost two months, let's hope this is not how the future looks. No extra charges.

ibm59

Reaction score
CAD4728A-1376-4854-9A78-E1FA1C3250F4.jpeg

Also, thanks to Brexit, the full set will cost £4,957.20 , plus the deeds to your house.

Last edited:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Just got a notification from An Post of an €8.08 VAT charge on a package of books from a UK auction house.
As books are VAT free so it looks like they are charging me 23% on part (but definitely not all) of the post and packing costs. I will probably be able to work it out when I see the paperwork with the package.
Many UK Auction houses will no longer post books themselves to Ireland and you have to arrange for a packing service to pick them up, pack them and then courier or parcel post them onto you. So what previously had a £30 post and packing charge now costs £85 - 100 which makes it very hard for non-UK buyers to buy effectively at auction. as you have to factor in that amount of dead money before you start so the £50 bargain on a particular book suddenly is very expensive.
If you were buying antiques such as an early hardy reel you would pay a "reduced" VAT rate of 9% on the invoice price plus the value of post packing and insurance. If the reel was less than 100 years old the standard 23% rate applies.
As a result, there won't be too many winning bids on UK auctions from EU countries - bad news for both the vendors and the potential European customer.